PDA

View Full Version : Green Mountain Barrel Company

todd9.3x57
02-20-2022, 03:07 AM
is green mountain any good for blank barrels? is there another place to go to?

my gunsmith don't know about them.

thanks!!!

https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/25-round-barrel-blanks/

Czech_too
02-20-2022, 06:08 AM
While I have not bought a blank from them, I do have a .32 caliber and wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
Have not heard, or read, a bad word regarding their barrels.

PopcornSutton
02-20-2022, 07:07 AM
I bought a stainless steel blank, 30 caliber 12 twist. I turned it down, and when I chambered it, I pushed pilot bushings through and it seemed consistent. I has shot fairly well. Then, I friend wanted the cheapest barrel he could get to do a 300 Blackout, so he got a CM green mountain and it was horrible inside.

Last I checked, many of their barrels were out of stock.

Nobade
02-20-2022, 07:50 AM
I have used many of their barrels, both for muzzleloaders and modern. I'd say they are not as good as a top notch barrel like a Bartlein or Kreiger but better than any American factory rifle barrel. Sort of in the same league as Shilen or ER Shaw. Nothing wrong with them at all.

Moleman-
02-20-2022, 08:15 AM
I order about a dozen or so barrel blanks from them a year, a mix of their gunsmith blanks and usually their 27" turned blanks. Just had two blanks delivered last week and have 12 on back order with them. They have two basic levels of barrel blanks. The turned blanks get turned between centers and have a nicer bore finish. The gunsmith blanks have the unturned OD and generally aren't as smooth inside as the turned blanks since they're an economy version and it is unreasonable to expect it to be as nice as a much more expensive blank. The gun I hunted with this past season has a 22" barrel made from a $43 GMB .40" gunsmith blank on it and the bullet holes will touch with it using 195gr barnes bullets. The 16" barrel I used the season before was the same blank and it shoots about 3/4". The difference could be the barrel, how the extension fits to the blank or the upper, the crown ect but at any rate a deer will never be able to tell the difference. If going with a gunsmith blank be forewarned that they mark the muzzle on them and not the chamber end if marked at all other than with a paint pen on the side to say what it is. You can always double check the runout since it will be worse on the muzzle end. Their turned blanks are stamped normally on the chamber end. If I was paying to have a barrel made I'd use one of their turned blanks as they do shoot better. If you're trying to make a match winning bench rest rifle I'd look elsewhere and get out your wallet. For general shooting or hunting they're a good value for what you get.

Noblade brought up a good comparrison. I had 4 ER Shaw 450BM blanks and 3 $49 GMB gunsmith blanks that I made 16" + 18" 450BM barrels from. They all shot comparably.

curdog007
02-20-2022, 09:34 AM
I have used them, they shoot well and machine very nicely.

Willbird
02-20-2022, 10:59 AM
Shilen IMHO should not be lumped in with ER Shaw :-). I have used quite a few Shilen barrels and have always been happy.

Bill

pietro
02-20-2022, 11:00 AM
is green mountain any good for blank barrels ?

is there another place to go to?

my gunsmith don't know about them.

GM is the Gold Standard for aftermarket firearm barrels , and your gunsmith never heard of them ? ? ?

It sounds like he must have never fitted barrels....

You might want to consider using a gunsmith who has.

Texas by God
02-20-2022, 11:05 AM
I've only used one of their barrel blanks and am very pleased with it. I would buy from them again.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

todd9.3x57
02-20-2022, 04:02 PM
GM is the Gold Standard for aftermarket firearm barrels , and your gunsmith never heard of them ? ? ?

It sounds like he must have never fitted barrels....

You might want to consider using a gunsmith who has.

he does douglas, shilen, kreiger, brux, lilja.......but he has never heard of them.

todd9.3x57
02-20-2022, 04:03 PM
I order about a dozen or so barrel blanks from them a year, a mix of their gunsmith blanks and usually their 27" turned blanks. Just had two blanks delivered last week and have 12 on back order with them. They have two basic levels of barrel blanks. The turned blanks get turned between centers and have a nicer bore finish. The gunsmith blanks have the unturned OD and generally aren't as smooth inside as the turned blanks since they're an economy version and it is unreasonable to expect it to be as nice as a much more expensive blank. The gun I hunted with this past season has a 22" barrel made from a $43 GMB .40" gunsmith blank on it and the bullet holes will touch with it using 195gr barnes bullets. The 16" barrel I used the season before was the same blank and it shoots about 3/4". The difference could be the barrel, how the extension fits to the blank or the upper, the crown ect but at any rate a deer will never be able to tell the difference. If going with a gunsmith blank be forewarned that they mark the muzzle on them and not the chamber end if marked at all other than with a paint pen on the side to say what it is. You can always double check the runout since it will be worse on the muzzle end. Their turned blanks are stamped normally on the chamber end. If I was paying to have a barrel made I'd use one of their turned blanks as they do shoot better. If you're trying to make a match winning bench rest rifle I'd look elsewhere and get out your wallet. For general shooting or hunting they're a good value for what you get.

Noblade brought up a good comparrison. I had 4 ER Shaw 450BM blanks and 3 $49 GMB gunsmith blanks that I made 16" + 18" 450BM barrels from. They all shot comparably.

thanks, i'll remember that.

Nobade
02-20-2022, 04:07 PM
Shilen IMHO should not be lumped in with ER Shaw :-). I have used quite a few Shilen barrels and have always been happy.

Bill

I agree, they are a step up for sure. I was mainly thinking cut rifle vs button.

country gent
02-20-2022, 04:30 PM
I have several GM barrels on Black Powder cartridge rifles and all are very good. Also douglas, shilen, badger, kreiger, pac nor and a lilja. I will say a good gunsmith can make a lesser barrel look better but a poor smith can make a great barrel look bad. The other important area to look at is if you happen to get a bad barrel what is the companies reputation for standing behind their product?

Moleman-
02-20-2022, 05:33 PM
What are you having made?

todd9.3x57
02-20-2022, 06:57 PM
What are you having made?

i have a sporterized carcano m91/38 (35 rem) or a sporterized 1916 spanish mauser(93 mauser, 257 bob) that needs rebarreled. i usually go with Douglas, but i want something "cheaper". i guess i am starting an inexpensive "custom" build.

Stephen Cohen
02-20-2022, 08:05 PM
At least 12yrs ago I got a 35 cal pre turned barrel for my Martini 357 Max martini Cadet conversion and I am very happy with it. I would have more but seems they are no longer sent over to Australia. I have just picked up an IBI barrel in 6mm for a Cadet conversion to 6x50r. Regards Stephen.

Moleman-
02-20-2022, 09:03 PM
i have a sporterized carcano m91/38 (35 rem) or a sporterized 1916 spanish mauser(93 mauser, 257 bob) that needs rebarreled. i usually go with Douglas, but i want something "cheaper". i guess i am starting an inexpensive "custom" build.

I have a Cooey double set trigger carcano action and stock. I'm debating 762x39 or 35Rem octagon or half octagon barrel for it. I put a turned Green mountain blank on a 1891 mauser in 44x1.8" (so it was legal to hunt with in MI limited zone). The turned GMB blanks make great shooters and I'd have no reservations using one.

brstevns
02-20-2022, 09:05 PM
Have a 223 rem barrel and 30/40 Krag barrel made from their blanks, they shoot better then I can see. I have coke bottle eye glasses and turned 71 maybe that is it. I only shoot out to 250 yards but have no complaints

John Boy
02-20-2022, 09:18 PM
Is this good enough accuracy for a Green Mountain Barrel … 45-70, 500gr bullet on a H&R Classic … 5 reloads BP at 600 yds on paper … 5” group in the 7 ring with a 3 shot clover leaf that could be covered with a silver dollar ,,, 2 club members witnesses. Also, accurate to 1000 yards
Any better groups, post them

Outpost75
02-21-2022, 12:58 AM
Over the years John Taylor has done over a dozen projects for me to include single-shot hunting and stalking rifles, lever actions, single-action revolvers and "Bunny Guns" in various calibers which required machining a new barrel from a gunsmith blank. Most of the time he has used Green Mountain gunsmith specials and both of us have been very well satisfied. When I was QA Manager for Ruger's Newport, NH operations in the mid-1980s we used a great deal of GM product in regular production and they were always top drawer people to deal with.

nuclearcricket
02-21-2022, 08:43 AM
Moleman, what is the 44x1.8? Is that a straight or bottleneck case? Same as the 44-60?
Sam

Moleman-
02-21-2022, 10:02 AM
Moleman, what is the 44x1.8? Is that a straight or bottleneck case? Same as the 44-60?
Sam

It's a straight walled case, basically a 44AMP on steroids (off of 30-06 or 308). Michigans Zone 3 where I hunt is a straight walled hunting zone for deer with a 1.8" max case length. Can use my 30-06 to hunt coyotes if I want, but not deer. The slightly shorter 44x1.6" is the same case length and case capacity as 445-SM and I've done them also but not with GMB blanks. 44x1.6" will work in ar15's with 450BM bolts and mags where as you have to go to the 308 type AR or use a 22-250 bolt and extension with the 44x1.8" because of the pressure. I have a LR308 clone with a 16" 44x1.8" green mountain barrel that puts the 225ftx into a ragged hole if I haven't had too much coffee. For deer hunting with 265 FN interlocks the 16" barrel is slightly faster than my 444 Marlin with a 21.5" barrel and about the same speed as the 444 with the 265FTX since they're longer and take up more case capacity. It'll push one of the 265FTX through about 36" of deer. Also have put 44x1.8" in an ar15 using a 22-250 bolt, but again not with a GMB blank. Sarco had a bunch of cheapie 44 SS blanks a few years back I got for test barrels that actually shot decent . Otherwise those would of been made with one of the GMB RX44M 27" blanks. Pics of the LR308 44x1.8" with the GMB RX44M 27" blank.

dh2
02-21-2022, 11:54 PM
I have built 338-06, 280 Rem AI and 25-06 using Green mountain short chambered 98 Mauser barrels and a 9.3x 62mm Mauser from a greem mountain blank and have been very happy with all of them I am sure I will be using more of them.

Blkpwdrbuff
07-21-2022, 10:57 PM
Todd
Have you tried Ragged Hole Barrels?
I have a couple of them one in .17, the other is on my .416 Taylor.
Really good prices and great service.
Blkpwdrbuff

todd9.3x57
07-22-2022, 01:27 AM
Todd
Have you tried Ragged Hole Barrels?
I have a couple of them one in .17, the other is on my .416 Taylor.
Really good prices and great service.
Blkpwdrbuff

i haven't had the chance to buy anything since my dad's funeral. i give them a looksee.

Ajohns
07-29-2022, 07:55 AM
I'm also doing another 35 Rem, this time again on a SR Mauser. Bought a barrel from McGowen and it's perfect. Bought prechambered and it only took .010 off the front of the receiver to be right on for headspace and bolt/breach clearance.

Rapier
07-29-2022, 09:00 AM
99% of the time I choose the barrel I use, so with the same work used to fit and finish a barrel, I always try to start with the best barrel I can get at the time, saves a bunch of aggravation. Nothing quite like finishing up a nice rifle (I do wood and steel) and having it not make the cut, then have to start all over again with a $100 more expensive barrel, that does shoot. 99% of the time, with a barrel, you get what you pay for.

leadman
03-16-2024, 10:30 PM
I have used a few GM barrels. If I remember right from their old website the gunsmith special barrels are not lapped, while the pre-turned barrels are.
I have used several gunsmith barrels and fire-lapped them and they are good shooters. Not target grade but fine for cheap builds.
MGM is using Green Mountain barrels now and I have seen no complaints on them.

Harter66
03-17-2024, 07:20 PM
It is my understanding that GM supplied the Adams and Bennett barrels sold by Midway among others . I have 2 in 257 , 2 in 7×57 that have performed well . I have a pair of .451s pending.

03-17-2024, 08:13 PM
Didn't know that GM supplied A&B barrels. No wonder my .270 Frankenstein Mauser shoots so well.