PDA

View Full Version : Gatherings or Competitions?

sloughfoot
02-19-2022, 07:12 PM
I’m not so much into any kind of competition but I do like gathering together with people of like mind to improve my skills to push me to do better. are there any cast bullet shooting gatherings or competitions? I know there’s the whole black powder competition thing just wondering if there is anything else?

Thumbcocker
02-19-2022, 08:18 PM
The Cast Bullet Association holds shoulder to shoulder and postal matches in several different categories.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gewehr-Guy
02-19-2022, 08:57 PM
If there are not any Cast Bullet Assn matches in your location, they might help you in organizing a match, if you have a place to shoot, and can gather a few shooters to participate. You might draw some interest from your post, if anyone near you reads this. Another idea is to put up a flyer at a gun show, or at a range you shoot at.

sloughfoot
02-19-2022, 09:44 PM
If there are not any Cast Bullet Assn matches in your location, they might help you in organizing a match, if you have a place to shoot, and can gather a few shooters to participate. You might draw some interest from your post, if anyone near you reads this. Another idea is to put up a flyer at a gun show, or at a range you shoot at.
I have a place to shoot. Southwest Alabama

contender1
02-19-2022, 10:38 PM
I own a gun range,, and we hold USPSA competition monthly. Just had a match today.

One thing I always stress to ALL new shooters,, are a few thoughts.
(1) SAFETY first! Always.
(2) Have FUN!
(3) Compete ONLY against yourself,, shoot a few matches,, to see how YOU do,, and if YOU improve YOUR abilities. Soon, you can judge your scores against similar categories, and skills with the other competitors.
(4)Do it to improve yourself first & foremost.
(5) Lastly,, do NOT let the competitors who are so focused on winning or whatever affect YOUR reasons for being there.

Today,, I had (5) new competitors try our match. All 5 of them came to me saying things like; "I'm hooked,, I'm coming back, this is the most fun I've ever had with a gun, I love this, etc."
By making sure the new folks had fun,, there were several of us "experienced" guys assisting them all day. So, set something up,, with safety & fun in mind,, and as the saying goes; "Just Do It!"

Sasquatch-1
02-20-2022, 09:16 AM
Are there any private clubs near you? The club I belong to has several organized events all year. Most of which are very intense Bull sessions that discuss everything from saving the world to how many grains of powder you load. I was actually surprised to find there were a couple of swagers in the club.

high standard 40
02-20-2022, 10:08 AM
I own a gun range,, and we hold USPSA competition monthly. Just had a match today.

One thing I always stress to ALL new shooters,, are a few thoughts.
(1) SAFETY first! Always.
(2) Have FUN!
(3) Compete ONLY against yourself,, shoot a few matches,, to see how YOU do,, and if YOU improve YOUR abilities. Soon, you can judge your scores against similar categories, and skills with the other competitors.
(4)Do it to improve yourself first & foremost.
(5) Lastly,, do NOT let the competitors who are so focused on winning or whatever affect YOUR reasons for being there.

Today,, I had (5) new competitors try our match. All 5 of them came to me saying things like; "I'm hooked,, I'm coming back, this is the most fun I've ever had with a gun, I love this, etc."
By making sure the new folks had fun,, there were several of us "experienced" guys assisting them all day. So, set something up,, with safety & fun in mind,, and as the saying goes; "Just Do It!"

This is great advice.

gunarea
02-20-2022, 10:23 AM
Lawnsteel!!

contender1
02-20-2022, 11:18 AM
Thanks high standard 40,, it's truly what I preach to the new guys.

One of the new guys yesterday,,, was slow,, but he was wanting to make sure he got all "A" hits. After the match,, his Dad was asking him about why he was slow,, and he said he wanted to make sure he got all A's,, but that he'd be trying to get faster next time.
Another guy who had only shot a bit with a couple of LEO's did quite well, and will easily get into it. A few other of the new guys were truly impressed at what it required to think, move, reload, shoot, try & be accurate & add speed. The combination of trying to do all of it at one time provided a good challenge.

quilbilly
02-20-2022, 02:47 PM
This is what the Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot (NCBS) is all about. It is much more than a competition, it is a gathering that has occasional light hearted competition. it is as much fun as you should be allowed to have.

Springfield
02-20-2022, 03:01 PM
If you just want to shoot your own bullets you can always check out SASS, the cowboy shooters. All bullets are required to be lead, perfect for those like me that cast their own. Shoot smokeless or Blackpowder, fast or slow, whichever you like. It is mostly for fun for most of us as there are no prizes except bragging rights.

Alabama Rangers
3721 South Shades Crest Road
Birmingham, AL 35244
Cahawba Kid
cahawbakid@yahoo.com
205-369-2702
Date of Match: 2nd Sunday @ 9:00 am

North Alabama Regulators
373 Ambush Trail
Woodville, AL 35776
Buck D. Law
buckdlaw@arrowgraphics.net
256-504-4366
Date of Match: 1st Sunday @ 9:00 am

Old York Shootists
51997 Highway 79
Blountsville, AL
Derringer Di
dianaflorence@bellsouth.net
205-616-9395
Date of Match: 2nd and 4th Sundays @ 9:00 a.m.
Russell County Regulators
200 Highway 169 South
Phenix City, AL 36869
Will Killigan
willkilligan@yahoo.com
706-566-1740
Date of Match: 1st Saturday @ 9:00 AM at the East Alabama Gun Club

Vulcan Long Rifles
3721 South Shades Crest Road
Birmingham, AL 35244
Hanso Lowe
vulcanlongrifles@icloud.com
205-966-3265
Date of Match: 3rd Saturday @ 9:30AM at Brock's Gap Training Center

BJK
02-20-2022, 03:10 PM
Competition is a very good way to become better. Plus it can add stress to the game. Just shooting at paper in a relaxed state doesn't do that.

hwilliam01
02-20-2022, 03:15 PM
We have a couple of bowling pin shoots a year. No prizes, but lots of fun. My favorite is the hostage shoot. Two shooters, each with five pins, 4 of one color and one of a different color. Shooter A competes against shooter B. The game is that your one different color pin (say blue) is being held hostage by the two white pins on either side. Shooter B has one white pin being held hostage by two blue pins on either side. If you are shooter A, you need to shoot the 4 white pins holding your blue guy hostage. While your opponent. Shooter B is shooting the 4 blue pins holding his white pin hostage. When one shooter is done shooting the pins holding his pin hostage, he cross shoots on the other guys lane to finish off the last of the opposing color. If you miss and shoot your hostage pin, you are done...match over. Lots of fun!! We have a few other variations. Finding the pins is the hard part, but now we get hen for about $2.50 each and they are made of hard ash and the last a long time.

Gewehr-Guy
02-20-2022, 03:47 PM
Now that game sounds like fun, but of course at 200 yards , with an 03 Springfield and open sights !!!

hwilliam01
02-20-2022, 04:13 PM
We are limited to 100 yards, but that is one variation we are looking at...zeroing in on lever action, open sites, but yeah, it's doable.