PDA

View Full Version : Alox versus Powder (contact)

bocash3
02-19-2022, 03:23 PM
This has probably been covered somewhere, but as I used to tell my high school biology students: "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask."

I began casting with Lyman molds in 1969, then sold out of that stuff about 6 years later.

Recently, I began casting again with Lee aluminum molds and love them.

QUESTION: My Alox-coated bullets have quite a bit of "alox/wax" on the bottoms after sizing and boxing.

Over a period of time, would powder contact with this Alox deteriorate powder? I'm talking maybe several years of storage.

Thanks so much in advance, Bo in western NC

justindad
02-20-2022, 02:59 PM
Not sure if this is a bad analogy, but…
Oil impregnated sintered bronze bushings (Oilite being the main brand) will lose their oil if stored in a paper bag, cardboard box, etc. The oil wicks out of the sponge-like structure of powdered metal bushings.

HWooldridge
02-20-2022, 05:35 PM
This has probably been covered somewhere, but as I used to tell my high school biology students: "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask."

I began casting with Lyman molds in 1969, then sold out of that stuff about 6 years later.

Recently, I began casting again with Lee aluminum molds and love them.

QUESTION: My Alox-coated bullets have quite a bit of "alox/wax" on the bottoms after sizing and boxing.

Over a period of time, would powder contact with this Alox deteriorate powder? I'm talking maybe several years of storage.

Thanks so much in advance, Bo in western NC

I have Alox-beeswax lubed bullets loaded in .44 mag from back in 1980 and they still go bang every time. Of course, they have generally been stored at room temp - except when I’m headed for a shoot, which could be held in any temperature.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-20-2022, 05:56 PM
Sounds like you are using too much Alox. Use just enough to barely wet the boolits. Thin with mineral spirits and/or warm the bottle in hot water if needed so you don’t get a clumpy coat. I like tumbling boolits that are still hot from the mold. You could also use a heat gun or hair dryer and gently warm the works. You should barely be able to see the alox when you are done.

Give powder coating a try, too!

bocash3
02-21-2022, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the advice and willingness to help, fellers! SILVERCREEK: Indeed there is a lot of Alox on these after my tumbling in a food container. GOOD Suggestion on thinning with spirits!

So how much Alox (wax) Really needs to be on these things? Bear in mind I came from pressure-sizing with Lyman sizer/lubricator where all grooves are packed with wax. I would love to give these a lighter coating. Mine are sticking to wax paper and each other since drying. Excess wax is coming out of the Rockchucker and Lee Sizing die in slivers.

** AND...........Silvercreek: Are you in Burke County?

Thanks to all and have a great week, Bo

Silvercreek Farmer
02-21-2022, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the advice and willingness to help, fellers! SILVERCREEK: Indeed there is a lot of Alox on these after my tumbling in a food container. GOOD Suggestion on thinning with spirits!

So how much Alox (wax) Really needs to be on these things? Bear in mind I came from pressure-sizing with Lyman sizer/lubricator where all grooves are packed with wax. I would love to give these a lighter coating. Mine are sticking to wax paper and each other since drying. Excess wax is coming out of the Rockchucker and Lee Sizing die in slivers.

Borrowed this pic off the web but the boolit on the right looks pretty good. If you get leading towards the muzzle you could go more like the one on the left.

bocash3
02-21-2022, 10:46 AM
THANKS again, SCreek. Mine have a really thick coating all over............to the point I'm thinking about wiping off the tops and bottoms of each one on a cloth so the seating dies doesn't get a gummy build-up in the seating plug.

And just curious, are in Burke?

jaysouth
02-21-2022, 11:59 AM
Back in the dark ages, when I was Alox dipping and squeezing grease into lube grooves, I kept a rag on my theigh to wipe the bottoms free of grease. I honestly don't know if it made a difference, but that's how I did it.

Since discovering powder coat, I would never go back to sticky bullets that smoke up indoor ranges.

dverna
02-21-2022, 07:45 PM
I had a few boxes of .38 target loads I had loaded over 30 years ago with 50/50 lube. 2.7 gr of Bullseye...so not a lot of powder. Half would not fire.

For short term storage...less than 5 years...I have never had a problem.

Glwenzl
02-21-2022, 10:00 PM
I recently read where a guy likes to tumble his Alox bullets in graphite or the white mika. I have no clue about why but your post made me think about that.

Geezer in NH
02-22-2022, 07:51 PM
Bet you are applying it way to thick. Made that mistake when I first used tumble lubes.

bocash3
02-22-2022, 09:56 PM
Bet you are applying it way to thick. Made that mistake when I first used tumble lubes.

YEP..............am seeing that now. Will cut back the amount of lube and "thin" it with paint thinner and see what happens. I've got a bunch more to cast in 5 calibers in 2 styles each.

THANKS!! Bo

bangerjim
02-22-2022, 10:05 PM
Back in the dark ages (before powder coating) I used alox and reduced JPW mix. It hardened and did not build up on the ends. Or anywhere! Even if it did, it was a hard coating that should (mabe?) never interact with the gun powder. I never worried about it. That was pre 2013, and I lubed a lot of alox/JPW and never had any problems. Now with PC, the worries all totally away!

bocash3
02-22-2022, 10:09 PM
Not good with smart phones, texting, or any of the modern way of expression, so gotta beg: What is JPW

THANKS, Bo

Red River Rick
02-22-2022, 10:23 PM
JPW = Johnson's Paste Wax.

bocash3
02-22-2022, 10:30 PM
Is the type of Johnson's Paste Wax you used still on the market?

Thanks, Bo

bangerjim
02-22-2022, 11:36 PM
Ask someone that still grease lubes! I have no idea.

Johnny Diamond
02-22-2022, 11:43 PM
Ask someone that still grease lubes! I have no idea.Bought some last year, I use it when I oil stain stocks.

FINEM RESPICE ~ MEMENTO MORI

Rapier
02-23-2022, 09:56 AM
If you want to invest a bit of acetone, pour enough to cover the old bullets in a coffee can. Swirl, pour off and then re-cover, swirl, etc.
Powder coat, the rest is do not worry about it ever again.
I had a bunch of old sticky lubed bullets, no more, they be gone. After a bit of time, with temp changes, etc., they turn into a block of lube.

flyingmonkey35
02-23-2022, 11:57 AM
Long time caster and helped do all the research on pc. Yet I still do traditional lubing.

But it depends on what I’m reloading for

My revolvers are trad lube

My autos are pc

Rifel rounds are a mix of pc. Lubed and jackets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beemer
02-25-2022, 09:52 AM
There is a sticky at the top of this lube forum started by Ben. He mixed Lee Alox and liquid floor wax. I have used it for handgun and some small rifle loads, it seems to work well. The lube is thin and dries harder than straight Lee Alox and is not as sticky. I do have some 38 spcl rounds lubed with Lee Alox that have been loaded for years that work fine but have not been exposed to harsh conditions. The advice to use thin coats and dry well is good.

John Boy
02-25-2022, 11:19 AM
Archive thread for your reading …
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-136692.html

bocash3
02-25-2022, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I tried to post a photo of Johnson Paste Wax in the 16 ounce YELLOW can and was
not successful. Can this be used to make bullet lube?

Thanks and y'all have a great weekend, Bo

Winger Ed.
02-25-2022, 02:29 PM
, I kept a rag on my thigh to wipe the bottoms free of grease.

I have had issues with a regular lube/sizer leaving lube on boolit bases.
When not taking time to actually fix the problem, that's what I do.

45DUDE
02-25-2022, 03:35 PM
I am no expert but the CLEANEST way I have found with alox is with a pie pan that holds 100 boolits. Pour a little alox in the pan along with mineral spirits and don't worry about mixing. Heat the boolits<I use a heat gun but a hair dryer will work. Pour the heated boolits in the pan and act like you are panning for gold. You can adjust the mix when it turns liquid. When the color is right take tweezers and stand them up<I use an old computer panel>then for the next batch. You can heat the boolits every once in a while <that wiil make then smooth on top>and they will be dry enough to load in 3 hours. When you get through scrape the used alox and put in a small airtight bottle for the next time. This takes longer but the boolits look better and no scraping or wiping. Also the dies stay cleaner.

Bazoo
02-25-2022, 05:01 PM
The way I do it is this. Pour one bottle of lee alox and one can of Johnson’s paste wax into a pot and mix together in low heat. Then pour it into bottles when it’s cool enough not to deform the bottle. Empty alox bottles or ketchup bottles.

When I lube, I hear my alox mix in the micro wave and check it ever 10-15 seconds till it’s good and hot and runny. While I’m doing this to he’s the bullets with a hair dryer in a small box. I dump the bullets in a ziploc bag and give a squirt of lube. Then I knead the bag well and the bullets get costed thoroughly. Then I dump them out and let dry. Wax paper, or paper plates.

It’s easy and fast and dries hard.

Normally I do this with lee tumble lube bullets. I size them before lubing using nothing on them when sizing. This works for me.

Spoonz
02-25-2022, 08:43 PM

This video really helped me, he has some good ones, not to mention the massive amount of MENTORING I have gotten here on CB.
https://youtu.be/kVg_6CbVfBA

bocash3
02-25-2022, 11:07 PM
You fellers have just convinced me to try the 45-45-10 formula. Going to get a can of Johnson's tomorrow on my way back from a gun show.

Spoonz
02-26-2022, 08:15 AM
You fellers have just convinced me to try the 45-45-10 formula. Going to get a can of Johnson's tomorrow on my way back from a gun show.

Ah, the smell alone will make you cry with feelings of freedom! I also have a Lyman 450 lube sizer and it’s great but the 45-45-10 is just exponentially more efficient and cheaper.

Jsm180
02-26-2022, 08:39 AM

Or just buy some already mixed.

https://www.lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=14&zenid=17on10uct2utr65ucmh55ig1n1