PDA

View Full Version : Well had to try CCI again

Wolfdog91
02-18-2022, 09:04 PM
Well every dang time I've tried some of the more expensive stuff like CCI or Ever Eley Black box in the past, the crap just plain wouldn't shoot well in my .22lrs at all. Just stop gun patterns at 30yd. That or wouldn't feed well in my semi autos. No clue why because everyone and their mom's sister kept telling me how awesome the stuff was. Thunder bolts how ever are like my guns favorites. I mean ragged holes at 25 all day long and I could used to buy a 500rd brick for only $20 at the hardware store so just never saw much of a point in trying the fancy stuff again. Weeelll it's been close to two years now and can't seem to find my beloved there bolts anymore but I see these CCI standards all the time now ,given a two week cycle , and for 3.20somthing a box I said why not. Mabye I did something wrong last time I used em what ever well bought three boxes the other day and decided to try them out in my Lil mutant just now and I gotta say I'm very very happy!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220219/10f3504250ac0817f4f10f02859d41d6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220219/b8b993684178364d786b46575067ad61.jpg
All three round groups @25yd except for the middle one that was our but was still tying to get my zero just right. But looks like the mutant at least likes em and for the price I reckon I'll be picking up two or three boxes everytime I get a chance [emoji16]

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Jack Stanley
02-18-2022, 10:06 PM
Just goes to show ya , every gun is a law unto itself . Over the years I have noticed that CCI is consistently good in my rifles .

Jack

GhostHawk
02-18-2022, 10:12 PM
I'm with Jack. I used to be a Remington fanboi, then back way before the millenium they changed their lube and I had nothing but problems till I cleaned my mags.

I switched to some Federal and more CCI and I've been happy since.

My Ruger Mk III 22/45's love the Federal Champion Auto Match but my Ruger 10/22 gets way better 75 and 100 yard accuracy with CCI. Standard Vel, Mini Mags, it all runs and shoots well. Copper plated hollow points preferred but they are a bit pricey at times.

shtur
02-18-2022, 11:39 PM
CCI standard velocity is favored by bullseye pistol shooters. For the price, it's a bargain. The top non supported/military shooters that have to buy their own ammo use Tenex or R50 at 50 yards and the less expensive CCI at 25 yards. There seems to be 1-2 FTF in every 500 round box in pistols. I have never had a FTF in any rifle or revolver with CCI SV ammo, only in my pistols.

Driver man
02-19-2022, 03:45 AM
Looks like you have a good batch of CCI. Go buy a few bricks .

high standard 40
02-19-2022, 09:06 AM
Most of my rimfire shooting is at distances from 25 yards out to 100 yards. Truth is, a lot of available 22LR ammo can shoot acceptable groups at 25 yards. The real test of accuracy is whether that same ammo will group at 100 yards......consistently. For the price, SK Standard does really well in just about every gun I've tried it in but my best 100 yards groups have been with Eley. I shot CCI standard for many years and it does shoot well and I do still keep some on hand. But I kept getting occasional fliers from my groups beyond 50 yards. It cost me some scores in silhouette competition.

Bigslug
02-19-2022, 11:05 AM
When you find something cheap, that works, buy what you can then and there. They aren't making it for accuracy - you just happened to find the batch that for your particular rifle, wasn't made on Monday morning or Friday afternoon. No guarantee that part number will still play nice for you two years down the road. With the "good stuff" there's more agonizing over making it the same down through time, but even then, the serious folks still try to stay in lot numbers.

As for Thunderbolts, ATK owns the Remington ammo name now (as well as Federal and CCI/Speer), so who knows how long they'll keep the same specs or if they'll even keep calling it Remington?

jsizemore
02-21-2022, 04:06 AM
Looks like you have a good batch of CCI. Go buy a few bricks .

Buy as much as you can find of that lot number. That's true of any store bought ammo you buy.

Shawlerbrook
02-21-2022, 08:07 AM
Agree with above. When you find something your gun like to eat, stick with it. Standard velocity 22 is usually the most accurate. That said, the CCI stuff like Stingers and Mini Mags function flawlessly in all my autoloaders.

pworley1
02-21-2022, 08:19 AM
I am glad it worked for you.

Jedman
02-21-2022, 09:16 AM
At $ 3.20 something a box you had better get all you can, I don’t see it going anywhere but UP.
I agree with the others saying it may change tomorrow as far as accuracy as I have seen that happen before.

Good Luck ! Jedman

murf205
02-21-2022, 11:20 AM
Those standard velocity CCI's are just the right ammo for Mississippi fox squirrels. That's all a friend of mine shoots and he says the lack of noise really makes the difference. Like you said, the std velocity ammo is more available now than the faster stuff. Lucky you.

todd9.3x57
02-21-2022, 11:03 PM
back when i was hunting for squirrel, i used cci mini mags 36gr hp. i could shoot a half inch at 50 yards (7 shots, marlin m25 and a 4x scope). but that was years ago and it was expensive, 100 rounds were $2 or $3. i could buy 500 rem, win, federals for $7 to $8 (.69 -.79 cents for 50 rounds). i mowed alot of grass and shoveled snow out of their driveways to fund the 22.

Tripplebeards
02-22-2022, 11:27 AM
Winchester HP 333’s shoot the tightest in all my 22lr rifles and pistols. I bought a box of re branded as Browning that I have had quite a few FTFs. If I run them through again most will go off. The Winchester boxes I haven’t had any FTFs with to date. They shoot tighter at 50 yards than your CCIs do at 30 yards in my 552, ultralux, anchutz chipmunk, and buckmark 5.5 target pistol. Guess I got lucky. They are a good squirrel stopper. Trying to find them now are next to impossible around here. I ran into about a four or 5 boxes OCD looking for them since last summer. I finally found my first boxes of 3” 12 gauge turkey loads in almost 2 years yesterday. I bought all 4, 5 count boxes of Remington premier magnum turkey high velocity 1&3/4oz #5’s for $6.78 a box. They had 5 boxes of the same in #4. The rest were 3.5” shells. Box 10 count boxes of the Nitro turkey #4’s weren’t crimped properly and had lead pellets falling out of the boxes. I sat them behind the counter since no one was working in the hunting department. I took mine to the front and was able to buy all four boxes. So either the front end employee didn’t know there was a three box limit, he didn’t know, or shotgun shells not locked up in the rifle ammo case behind the counter don’t have a limit. Hopefully mine will be fine. Would have really like to found the 2oz version but beggars can’t be choosers.

https://i.imgur.com/sOm3mum.jpg

Tripplebeards
02-22-2022, 03:13 PM
I checked are other walmart and got 4,10 round boxes of #5's in 17/8oz for $5.96 ea today!...no limit.
https://i.imgur.com/rMApe7O.jpg

At the 1 shot per bird average I'll be good till for quite a few seasons.

winelover
02-23-2022, 07:30 AM
The brick of Winchester 333 that I have has had numerous FTF in multiple pistols.........after multiple hits. Including my Ruger Mark II Target, which is the most reliable.

Winelover.

farmbif
02-23-2022, 10:30 AM
was at Walmart yesterday, $40 for 300 round yellow box of winchester super x 22's, they can keep em at that price. as to the cci thing, they seem too make some of the most consistent and reliable bulk 22 ammo. but before the most recent madness struck I stocked up on at least a dozen boxes of winchester 555's and dynapoints
been though about 3 of them so far and no ftf used in multiple 22 platforms including 22/45, marlin 39a's, marlin 60w, and more.
the only problem ive had with cci's are with 300 rd boxes of mini mags bought on clearance from palmetto state each sealed box was missing 1 round, right in the back corner spot. but they all went bang.

Tripplebeards
02-23-2022, 12:26 PM
I’d love to shoot the CCIs but they shoot around an inch or larger groups in all my rifles and pistols at 25 yards. My 333’s are all in the same hole at 50 yards and 60 yards with the same firearms and pistols. My luck I guess. They ALL hate Aquila ammo as well. I had 9” groups out my CZ452 ultralux with 2 of the hi power HP and RN versions. I believe they have smaller boolit diameters than most offerings if I had to guess causing the fliers. I burn them up on my trap line. I bought about 18 bricks of CCI primers for $39 a year from last November. They work excellent. The yellow boxes of Winchester came in at $39.99 here and have stayed the same prices. Last summer the 325 boxes of federal auto match were $17 and 333’s were $18. The auto match are now $21.99 (they were $24 a month or two ago) and I haven’t seen the 333’s ever since I bought the only 3 boxes I saw there. I have to say the auto matches shoot pretty good. I shot 2, 1 1/4”, 5 shot groups in a row at 100 yards with my anschutz woodchucker last fall when I first tried them. I had a crappy 3-9 Tasco world class in it. I’m sure with higher magnification and crosshairs that are not as thick as barn boards it would shoot better. I am putting a 4-12 on it soon.

robg
02-24-2022, 01:39 PM
the 32gn cci hollow point mini mag shoot great in my 1022,tried them in my bsa martini ,it likes them too.the other mini mags 40gn shoot badly in my 1022 .

Jedman
02-24-2022, 10:39 PM
296745296746I went to a local Walmart yesterday for other items but noticed they had some 22 RF in stock at not to bad a price so I picked up just one carton of 325 for $ 21.00. I have never seen this particular Federal ammo before so I will see how it shoots before considering buying more. It figures to be about 6.5 cents a round which is a bit high for junk ammo but if it shoots good it would be worth it.

Jedman

Tripplebeards
02-25-2022, 12:34 PM
296745296746I went to a local Walmart yesterday for other items but noticed they had some 22 RF in stock at not to bad a price so I picked up just one carton of 325 for $ 21.00. I have never seen this particular Federal ammo before so I will see how it shoots before considering buying more. It figures to be about 6.5 cents a round which is a bit high for junk ammo but if it shoots good it would be worth it.

Jedman

When they were the first, and only, 22LR ammo I could find last summer I bought a few boxes for $17 at Walmart before the $4 price hike. Figured I’d use them for plinking and trap line worst case scenario if they didn’t shoot. The only thing I tried them in was my Anshutz woodchuck. I had a pencil eraser size group with 5 shots at 50 yards and a 1 1/4” 5 shot group at 100 yards as stated above. They work good on trap line but haven’t tested them on small hunting at distance yet. Had zero FTFs with them knock on wood.

FYI if anyone is need of turkey ammo I bought a bunch of Remington nitro turkey 10 round loads at Walmart for $5.96 a box and also some 5 round boxes of hi velocity versions for $6.78 a box. I’m sure the price will go up on them as well. Don’t remember buying 10 round boxes of 3” #5 turkey loads for $6 ever. I think I paid more in the late 80’s for them.

lotech
02-25-2022, 01:21 PM
I've been shooting mostly CCI SV in all my .22s, handguns and rifles, for about twenty years. In it's price range, it's been remarkably accurate in good quality .22s that are pretty much straight-out-of-the-box and unmolested. In scoped rifles (6X is the most powerful magnification I have on a .22) it will often shoot into a half-inch at 50 yards. It's been pretty consistent from case to case as well. I have not shot any from three cases I purchased two or three years ago when it was selling for as little as $200 -$250 per case of 5000. Some say this recent ammo is of lesser quality. That may be true; I don't know yet.

CCI SV will function in every semi-auto pistol or rifle I've tried it in, something I can't say for many other standard or high-velocity .22 ammos. In many years of shooting CCI SV, I've had one failure to fire with the first pull of the trigger - one in thousands of rounds. While CCI-SV is not the most accurate in every one of my dozen, maybe fifteen, .22 rifles and handguns, overall it's more accurate than other ammo in it's price range.

ddeck22
02-26-2022, 08:55 AM
I agree that sometimes you get a bad batch from any manufacturer. I've had consistent results with Federal Automatch (and it helps that Walmart always has them in stock) but Winchester can be hit or miss.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-26-2022, 01:14 PM

Jedman

I believe Federal came out with "AutoMatch"...or should I say rebranded Champion? after the 2013-14 rimfire shortages.
I rarely buy bulk pack 22lr, but the AutoMatch was the first to show up after 2014, so I bought a couple packs. It has functioned well in a Ruger MKII and a Henry levergun. I never bench tested for accuracy, but I did hit was I was aiming at when shooting offhand.
That's my 2¢

lotech
02-26-2022, 02:02 PM
I believe Federal came out with "AutoMatch"...or should I say rebranded Champion? after the 2013-14 rimfire shortages.
I rarely buy bulk pack 22lr, but the AutoMatch was the first to show up after 2014, so I bought a couple packs. It has functioned well in a Ruger MKII and a Henry levergun. I never bench tested for accuracy, but I did hit was I was aiming at when shooting offhand.
That's my 2¢

Regarding Auto Match...several years ago I tried about twenty-five .22 LR ammos that were all in the price range that most of us use, from the real cheap bulk stuff up through the better CCI, Remington, Federal, Winchester, Aguila, etc. products, but no "pure" and expensive target ammo. I fired five, five-shot groups (I know, statistically flawed, but good enough for most of us) at fifty yards with each of two scoped rifles. The Auto Match was just a fraction behind the costlier CCI SV, which shoots good in about anything. The Auto Match averaged .68" which I think is very good for cheap ammo. Of course, we all know some batches may provide better or worse figures than my results.

Jedman
02-26-2022, 02:19 PM
Now I need the weather to calm down to go shoot some of the Federal auto match ammo. We have had typical late winter weather where it’s always windy and some days really cold others a little nicer but always a 20 mph + wind
I I have several single shot rifles I want to try it in, a M 12/15 martini and a Mauser BSW bolt action scoped with a sporter barrel and a 2 lb. trigger.

Jedman

high standard 40
02-26-2022, 02:52 PM
I'm glad some of you are enjoying good results with Auto Match. I bought some when they first came out. I have yet to find a rifle or pistol that did well with it. Poor accuracy in everything I tried it in. Maybe I got a bad batch.

atr
02-26-2022, 07:33 PM
I also use CCI standard velocity 40 gr in my .22 semi-auto and they are way more accurate than any of the High Velocity rounds I've tried.

tazman
02-27-2022, 12:57 AM
I'm glad some of you are enjoying good results with Auto Match. I bought some when they first came out. I have yet to find a rifle or pistol that did well with it. Poor accuracy in everything I tried it in. Maybe I got a bad batch.

Probably the case. Until I started buying top level match ammunition, auto match was my best shooting ammo in nearly everything. I only had one revolver that didn't like it.

Forrest r
02-27-2022, 06:28 AM
That's my 2¢

Actually federal used the cmp as a testing ground (that white box thing that all mfg's test with) back in +/- 2011. They got excellent feedback from the cmp and decided to roll with it on a commercial scale.

This ammo was designed to be used at the club level with pistols.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-27-2022, 10:07 AM
Actually federal used the cmp as a testing ground (that white box thing that all mfg's test with) back in +/- 2011. They got excellent feedback from the cmp and decided to roll with it on a commercial scale.

This ammo was designed to be used at the club level with pistols.

Thanks.

that's good info.

BadgerShooter
02-27-2022, 11:47 AM
I remember for the Atlanta Olympics, Federal made a big deal about making the ammo for the US shooters. They came out with a special match round with a dimple in the base of the case like some of the Russian match ammo of the day. The first couple of lots were ok. When they started selling it, boxes of ammo would have some dimpled cases, some regular cases and it shot like crap, still supposedly the Olympic match ammo at the Olympic match ammo price. Haven't trusted Federal rimfire ammo since.