PDA

View Full Version : Slowest burn rates

Tokarev
02-18-2022, 12:25 PM
I found conflicting information. The more reliable data from my POV comes from IMR Powders' web site, and it lists the slowest ones in the following order:
H50BMG
US869
Reloder 50

But there is another chart on load data site that lists them in a different order:
Reloder 50
H50BMG
US869

So is Reloder 50 the slowest or the fastest of the 3?

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-18-2022, 05:13 PM
I like this chart.
It puts Reloder 50 in the middle of those two.

http://gsgroup.co.za/burnrates.html

Winger Ed.
02-18-2022, 05:32 PM
Depending on the various test conditions,
you can get one powder to act slightly differently for one test than it does under another.

If you look at the burn charts in the back of different editions of the same company's loading book,
sometimes they'll be arranged in different orders there too.

That's why you'll see publications and articles saying the different burn rates are 'general' listings
in comparison to all the different powders they list.
If I could only find one of those three on the shelf somewhere, I wouldn't hesitate to buy & use it.
Sure, they'll be (slightly) different from each other;
but if you follow safe load recommendations for it---- you won't shoot your eye out kid.

Tokarev
02-18-2022, 09:24 PM
It puts Reloder 50 in the middle of those two.

Now, that's confusing.
So, who ran the tests at loaddata site and GS Group? And who owns whom now? Alliant powder on IMR's chart - what allows IMR to provide burn rate data for it? Are they now under the same ownership?

Found this on another forum:

Hodgdon doesn't manufacture ANY smokeless powders (they do make their blackpowder substitutes). They market powders made for them by several different powder manufacturers. Hodgdon also controls the marketing on IMR and Winchester branded powders, so there are three brand names that fall under Hodgdon's aegis.

There are several powder pairings where the exact same propellant is sold with different labels. Those are: HP38/W231, H110/W296, HS6/W540, HS7/W571, and H414/W760.

With one exception, the H/IMR powders with the same numbers are not the same, with the H powders being made by ADI of Australia and the IMR made by IMR of Canada. The exception is H4427. Hodgdon discontinued their brand of that powder in favor of the IMR brand, but (if I have this correctly) is having ADI make it.

Western (Ramshot and Accurate) powders are made both by foreign plants and by the St Marks plant in Florida. That St Marks plant makes ALL the spherical powders for Western, Winchester, Hodgdon and Alliant, by the way. Busy plant down there!

Alliant is the largest powder maker not under the direct or indirect Hodgdon banner. Until recently, they sold only extruded powders. But they have now begun offering sphericals from St Marks. Alliant was formerly Hercules and has been around for more than a century.

If I have that 4227 business wrong, I hope a knowledgeable source can correct me.

rbuck351
02-19-2022, 02:37 AM
Any lot of a given powder from the one company will have a slightly different burn rate that a different lot of the same powder. So depending on who is testing which lots can result in different ratings especially on powders that have similar burn rates.

farmbif
02-19-2022, 10:24 AM
back to the original question, I'm guessing that they are all very very close to one another as far as burn rate.
and the manufacturing is just like anything else in the world today, be it gun powder, white goods--you know--washing machines, dryers, stoves, ect. widgets, whatever. you put together a bunch of money or a loan and the specs of what you want and contract a manufacturer to the create the product you want with the label you want on the package. and they put it in a container and you ship it to your warehouse for distribution. like scopes now that most are made in the phillipines I dont know how many factories there are but probably less than there are brands. my interest was a peaked when I got a scope with the name of a Japanese camera maker on it, stamped made in phillipines and it is exactly, exactly the same as a Burris model. its called outsourcing and this is the way most stuff is made these days.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-19-2022, 11:04 AM
Now, that's confusing.
So, who ran the tests at loaddata site and GS Group?

>>>SNIP
That's the beauty of GSC's Chart, it is a compellation of info provided by volunteers.
think "WIKI-burnchart"

Notes in Header of GSC Chart

Your help in refining this chart and updating it as a resource for all to use will be appreciated. If you hold the opinion that a powder needs to be moved by more than two lines, or find an incorrect powder name, please let us know. We will appreciate information to finally place the powders printed in red and powder manufacturers not yet on the chart.

Thanks to all who have contributed their knowledge in developing the chart. A special acknowledgement to Pierre Van Der Walt, members of the Accurate Reloading Forum and all who e-mail their experience from time to time.