PDA

View Full Version : M1917 / Remington 30 - Cock-on-Open Variations?

Bigslug
02-18-2022, 01:48 AM
I am in the process of negotiating on a pre-Bubba'd M1917 Eddystone that has potential as a sporter project action.

The rifle cocks on open and the bolt shroud can best be described as something that looks like a bolt shroud on the back of the original bolt shroud, with a knurled band and several screws that appear to be what's holding it on. I've found one archive pic of a Remington 30 that looks to have this same thing, but it does not appear to be standard across all Remington 30's. It clearly isn't the Dayton-Traister. Without taking it out of the stock, it appears that the trigger and sear assembly is OEM and unaltered.

I'm just curious if anyone knows precisely what this is. Personally, I MUCH prefer the original cock-on-close mechanism and will likely take the gun back to that if it ends up coming home, but it's got me curious.

Whatever it is, it seems that discussion about it died out before the Internet arrived.:lol:

Thanks!

:drinks:

cwtebay
02-18-2022, 05:55 AM
Do you know which version of the model 30 yours is? I'm assuming it's a 30-06 sized bolt face?
Photos may help with recognition.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk