PDA

View Full Version : How to fit a new hand on a Colt Official Police

philthephlier
02-17-2022, 07:31 PM
Any help or links to get info much appreciated. If cocked single action slowly the gun goes to battery on every chamber. If trigger is pulled rapidly in double action , the cylinder rotates past bolt lockup on two, sometimes 3 chambers.

Outpost75
02-17-2022, 07:40 PM
Throwby problem is not hand the S&W term or pawl the Colt term, but likely the cylinder stop to use the S&W term or bolt in Coltese.

beshears
02-17-2022, 08:07 PM
Check the notches on the cylinder and see if edges rounded off.

LAGS
02-17-2022, 10:41 PM
The springs may be weak and not keeping things like the hand and cylinder stop in position with any force.
That was the same problem I had with an 1895 Colt Army.
Once I replaced the springs , it worked a lot better.

higgins
02-22-2022, 06:19 PM
The simplified troubleshooting guide in my Kuhnhausen manual for the OP model revolver states that when the cylinder rotates past lock that one should check for late bolt timing that involves the bolt and rebound lever. Since nothing seems to be simple in detail troubleshooting a Colt DA revolver, the bolt spring may be a good place to start. You might see if the rebound lever is binding, or other "simple" fixes first. The Kuhnhausen Shop Manual Volume 1 for the Colt Double Action Revolvers is a good investment. Since so many parts work in unison you really need the manual because one or two paragraphs can't completely cover most adjustments or problems. Sorry I can't offer better suggestions, but I've never had to deal with over-rotation on a revolver.