PDA

View Full Version : Road trip guns...

Idaho45guy
02-17-2022, 03:35 AM
Leaving Saturday for a 3000-mile road trip from Washington state down to Arizona near the Mexico border. Driving my SUV through Washington, Idaho, Nevada, and Arizona. Once I get to Arizona, I will be going on a couple of side expeditions into the desert on the Mexican border. One trip will be to a special forces training facility built to replicate Afghanistan.

Visited it last year and had fun with my 9mm subgun...

This year, with the increased lawlessness on the border, I will be upping the firepower just a smidge.

Last year I brought my Sig P365 9mm as my primary carry weapon, and my 9mm subgun as back up.

This year, I packed my P365 9mm, then my SA 10mm pistol, and an AR pistol in 5.56. 200 rounds for each.

The 10mm is being brought simply because my stepdad wants to shoot it, so the only real upgrade is the AR pistol.

Pretty confident that I will be adequately armed for any incident with the three firearms I chose for the trip. My CCW is good for all of the states, so will have the trust P365 with 12-rounds of 9mm with me at all times.

What do you bring on road trips? Or do you bring anything extra when on road trips?

I've seen too many apocalyptic movies in which someone is driving cross country and all hell breaks loose and they are horribly unprepared. So I always prepare for the worst, lol.

unclemikeinct
02-17-2022, 04:50 AM
You Sir are Blessed to live so free. I'm in the communist St. of Ct. can't go north or west armed. My NH non res used to be good in Pa. Not any longer. Go With God My Friend. unclemikeinct

dverna
02-17-2022, 07:54 AM
Just did a 200+ mile trip this past weekend to the Detroit area and carried a Kahr with one spare magazine. Not my first choice but I have put on some weight and the Glock 22 was a bit too uncomfortable. I would normally carry it, but I have a 9mm barrel and mags for it, as I shoot 9mm more effectively.

Any gun will do but prefer a 9mm or larger. Like your choices.

You make a good point about carrying spare ammunition. I do not do that. With the Glock, I have 18 rounds and with the Kahr I have 8 plus one spare mag for 15 shots. Always figured that would be enough but never thought about having to try to get home during a SHTF event. Something to think about.

georgerkahn
02-17-2022, 08:04 AM
You are, indeed, blessed to be able to soooo carry! In the state of my residence even a wrist-braced sling shot may not be carried/owned! With my pistol permit, bion I usually just have a small semi-auto Beretta (950bs) in .22lr, along with a couple of extra magazines. For travel crossing state lines, or even distant within state journies, bion I keep a fresh, brand new can of Black Flag Wasp & Bee spray in one of my Tacoma's cup holders. My thinking is other than catching a flying bullet from ???? out of my vehicle (e.g., being (oops!) beyond the intended target) I'd think (hope) a perp would approach...first! Assuming (my hopes) I'd come out OK, too, I reckon the lawyer costs after discharging Wasp spray would be more affordable than discharging a firearm.
geo

Daekar
02-17-2022, 08:07 AM
I usually take a S&W J-frame with two speedloaders of ammo and that's it. Maybe if we were going a longer distance I would pack a box of ammo to go with it.

You make me feel like a slacker!

Half Dog
02-17-2022, 08:19 AM
You are wise. Being near the border can be risky business. Have plenty of gas, a good spare tire, and someone who can refill magazines. I wish you good fortune.

Handloader109
02-17-2022, 08:44 AM
Be safe, if I were you, I'd have a couple more magazines for the p365, not necessarily on you, but loaded and in car where you can get it. I always buy at least 2 or 3 more magazines for every handgun I purchase. The one or two that come with the guns are just starter mags. I've a Walther that was discontinued a couple of 5 years ago. I've got 5 mags and haven't seen any more new for sale....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

HWooldridge
02-17-2022, 09:21 AM
The biggest problem is not having them on your person or within immediate reach. I've experienced a few "close calls" from potential assailants and more often than not, the firearm was too far away. That's the primary reason I carry a J-frame S&W, because it's easy to drop in a pocket. I can see someone coming and drop both hands to my hip pockets, which looks pretty innocent to the casual observer. I have carried a short shotgun or rifle in the car from time to time but you have to be able to put it into action quickly.

Shawlerbrook
02-17-2022, 09:29 AM
Makes you want for a Federal cc permit good in the entire US of A. I usually have my Colt Cobra stubby if handguns are ok otherwise my Winchester Defender 12 ga or AR7 in a pack in the vehicle. Depends on what I think my targets will be.

bedbugbilly
02-17-2022, 10:33 AM
Just keep on your toes when you[re down by the border - especially in less traveled areas or desert.

Plate plinker
02-17-2022, 11:15 AM
Makes you want for a Federal cc permit good in the entire US of A. I usually have my Colt Cobra stubby if handguns are ok otherwise my Winchester Defender 12 ga or AR7 in a pack in the vehicle. Depends on what I think my targets will be.

No makes me want Constitutional Carry nationwide. We do not need the Federal bunglers involved.

rockrat
02-17-2022, 11:16 AM
MIght want to add a shotgun with buckshot if you have room

sigep1764
02-17-2022, 12:31 PM
For road trips, I usually take a Walther PPS M2 and an LCP Custom for pistols and an AR pistol in 223 if I feel its necessary.

Geezer in NH
02-17-2022, 01:53 PM
Don't forget your 5320.20 form for the subgun.

Texas by God
02-17-2022, 01:55 PM
MIght want to add a shotgun with buckshot if you have room^^^^this, and shotshells in case you get hungry....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

white eagle
02-17-2022, 01:59 PM
I say criminals deserve the best, for me a lever action 45/70 will do for man and beast

dverna
02-17-2022, 02:05 PM

I have been thinking about that since reading IG45's post. I have a beater 12 ga pump that would be good for such duty. But it is illegal to carry a loaded shotgun or rifle in a vehicle in MI. Of course, if the SHTF who cares about laws. I would need to have the gun cased until needed.

MUSTANG
02-17-2022, 02:54 PM

^^ + 1 ^^.

Back in the 1970's I was in the USMC going from one coast to the other. Back then "Travel Pay" was usually paid after you got to the new duty station and filed your travel claim as well as provided receipts if outside normal rates. So; given the low pay at the time, most of the "Travel Pay" being flat rate - not reimbursed at actual rates; myself and many Marines I knew who did change of duty stations and traveled by POV (Privately Owned Vehicles); would sleep in our cars along the way.

I stopped at a nearly undeveloped Road Side Rest off I-40 in California. Climbed in the back seat of a 4 door sedan with a blanket and doors locked. About 2:00 AM I was woken when someone was trying to open the locked door at my feet. I picked up the loaded 12 Gauge shotgun laying across the car seat length in the foot well area and threw back the blanket and pointed at the man in the rear drivers side window trying to get into the car. Bright moonlight that night so he could se the shotgun barrel pointed at him. He yelled some unprintable words; and along with 2 other guys they ran off and jumped into a car about 50 feet away and burned rubber leaving. Do not know what their intentions were; but they changed their minds courtesy of the 12 Gauge.

Alternatively, nothing like getting your point across by racking a round in the chamber of a pump shotgun. Others nefarious intents can go away when confronted in this manner.

My point is that a 12 Gauge can solve a lot of threats if one has the ability to carry it and access it.

fastdadio
02-17-2022, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=dverna;5357662] But it is illegal to carry a loaded shotgun or rifle in a vehicle in MI. Of course, if the SHTF who cares about laws. QUOTE]

The Howda pistol would be legal in Mi. if it tickles yer fancy;
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002262027
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH3HTuDgjSs

farmbif
02-17-2022, 03:58 PM
there is nothing quite like the sound of racking a new shell into a pump shotgun to get someones attention

Char-Gar
02-17-2022, 04:02 PM
I am near 80 and have lived on the Texas-Mexico border most of my life. I am three miles from the Rio Grande River as I type this missive. I quite familiar with the Borderlands of Texas and New Mexico. This part of the world has always had it's differences and dangers. I can tell you with all honesty, the North side of the border is no more dangerous than it has ever been. The national media has made politics out of the border and people think things are worse now, when it is just business as usual. There has always been illegals crossing in droves and most are just looking for work and others are up to no good, same ol same ol.

When I drive a Colt 45 Auto is all I need, unless I am out in the boonies and then a good rifle makes me feel better. Good rifle is what you think it is.

Char-Gar
02-17-2022, 04:06 PM
there is nothing quite like the sound of racking a new shell into a pump shotgun to get someones attention

Shotgun is the universal language. Everybody understands it without the need of translation.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-18-2022, 07:32 AM
These days you need to pack a get home kit. Maybe put one of those metal gas tanks in the bed behind the cab. 5 gallons of fresh water when in the desert. Much of the criminal activity on the border is State sanctioned, don't come into contact with it. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Idaho45guy
02-18-2022, 04:58 PM
These days you need to pack a get home kit. Maybe put one of those metal gas tanks in the bed behind the cab. 5 gallons of fresh water when in the desert. Much of the criminal activity on the border is State sanctioned, don't come into contact with it. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
I've always been prepared.

Back in `88, I was changing duty stations and was driving my 1966 F100 from CA to WA. with 4:11 gears and the 352 V8 and 4spd tranny, I was hard pressed to do the speed limit.

I was driving along some highway out in the desert and came upon a new Chrysler mini-van pulled onto the side of the road and an older man waving his arms.

I pulled over turns out he and his young son had been there for three hours and no one would stop. His new van had a bad fuel gauge and he ran out of gas.

I had a spare 5-gallon jug in the back, so gave him a couple of gallons and got him on his way. He was incredulous that I actually had spare gas with me, and that I stopped, and then refused a $20.

I miss the `80's. Not sure I'd stop these days.

Texas by God
02-19-2022, 12:03 AM
Road trip to Cabo?[emoji16]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220219/56c4e3efcd974fdba89c9ab29b42e62d.jpg

Baltimoreed
02-19-2022, 12:40 AM
Did a 3230 mile trip during this past July, 59 hrs driving in a little over a week. Carried my J frame and 12 rds on strippers. Was ccw legal except in Md. Had no problems. A nice trip but I did get turned around in Newport News.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-19-2022, 01:02 PM
I've always been prepared.

Back in `88, I was changing duty stations and was driving my 1966 F100 from CA to WA. with 4:11 gears and the 352 V8 and 4spd tranny, I was hard pressed to do the speed limit.

I was driving along some highway out in the desert and came upon a new Chrysler mini-van pulled onto the side of the road and an older man waving his arms.

I pulled over turns out he and his young son had been there for three hours and no one would stop. His new van had a bad fuel gauge and he ran out of gas.

I had a spare 5-gallon jug in the back, so gave him a couple of gallons and got him on his way. He was incredulous that I actually had spare gas with me, and that I stopped, and then refused a $20.

I miss the `80's. Not sure I'd stop these days.

Was driving a 54 Chev pickup that i had paid $500 for in Spokane back in 1980 back to Chicago. Picked an old timer who was hitch hiking up in Wyoming, he was standing under the only tree for miles. Turns out he had just got out of prison and was on his way to Sioux Falls. Got him all the way and shared my water, beer, summer sausage, bread and grapes with him. Cigarettes too. When i dropped him off he had tears in his eyes as he thanked me.

MaryB
02-19-2022, 02:34 PM
My SUV rifle is always with me, a Chinese type 53 on an archangel conversion stock(original stock was in multiple pieces when I got the rifle for $49, bore looked brand new!) along with 4 10 round mags. It rides in a case unloaded so it is legal transport in any state. PK380 pistol is always with me, AR-15 is often in the SUV, shotgun goes in now and then...

Long as things are properly cased for transport anything goes!

Friend used to service oil well compressors out in west TX, some right down by the border. She said the drug mules want nothing to do with you and they will change direction if they see you. Illegals coming across to work aren't an issue but she ran into gang members now and then, she carried an AR-15 with 6 spare mags and it got her out of a bad spot twice. Also came in handy when feral hogs chased her onto the roof of her truck after she cut her arm pretty bad and was leaving a blood trail. She opened the back slider window and snagged the first aid kit to fix her arm then ended up shooting half the hogs before they left her alone. She filled her freezer, her brothers freezer and a friends freezer with hog meat.

warren5421
02-19-2022, 04:20 PM
I have in the truck a Colt 1903 .32 ACP loaded hot, a Sig 229, STI 10mm, lever gun in .44 WCF, either a Sharps .45-70 or a High Wall in .38-55, 200 rounds for each gun, that's for a 150 mile trip on Interstate 70 Indy to Columbus, Ohio. If I come up with a Beretta 1301 it will be there also. Anything up to 500 yards is in range with what I carry, can go longer but eyes arn't that good any more. 4x4 should let me go cross county if needed. Vacation it's the .32 ACP and a 1911 with 200 rounds. That should get me to the country side with what ever I pickup on the way out.

ShooterAZ
02-19-2022, 05:45 PM
I'd say that you are adequately armed for your "close to the border" excursions. I have a truck gun, a Remington 870 with a 18" riot barrel and iron sights. It's got an extended magazine tube and I keep it loaded with #4 Buck. I hope I never have to use it but as the old saying goes..."It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it". I agree with the suggestions for bringing a shotgun, hard to beat for self defense. An AR15 would be an excellent second choice too. For pistol carry, it's a Kimber 1911 45ACP with a couple of spare mags for me.

Scrounge
02-19-2022, 05:51 PM
no makes me want constitutional carry nationwide. We do not need the federal bunglers involved.

Amen Brother!

jimlj
02-20-2022, 04:50 PM
KelTek P32.
Way better than anything left at home.

atr
02-20-2022, 05:09 PM
I just take a .38 S&W...and use a lot of common sense about where and when I travel

BJK
02-20-2022, 06:00 PM
I don't go far, I try to never cross the state line (Maine). I always have a S&W 9c with me and (I forget) 40 or 50 rounds of ammo in mags. If I'm planning on a full day away, in the past I would also bring an AR rifle with loaded mags. Just can't have them inserted into the rifle in the car. Today I would bring either my SBRed 9mm B&T GHM9 or 300BLK AR handgun.

thxmrgarand
02-20-2022, 07:30 PM
"Back in `88, I was changing duty stations and was driving my 1966 F100 from CA to WA. with 4:11 gears and the 352 V8 and 4spd tranny, I was hard pressed to do the speed limit."

My first pick-up was a 1966 F100 with a 3-speed manual and positive traction, and a 352. It was one year old, and I was 17. The tires would chirp when I shifted into 3rd at 70 miles an hour. The new price would have been about $2,000, and with 6,000 miles it was a wonderful buy at the asking price of $1,000. But being 17 and a little inexperienced in the way of the world I offered the guy $950, to which he angrily slammed the hood and walked in the house. So I had to knock on the door and give him his $1,000. It was the fastest truck around. It's a wonder I could keep it in the road during the winter. I carried a wooden box with 300 pounds of sand right behind the cab, and that helped the handling in winter. It seems to me that working class economics have sure changed, as $1,000 wasn't an extraordinary amount of money for a hard-working college student to have in his pocket yet it would buy a good year-old pick-up. It was a time of high inflation, but I thought it was normal. President Johnson was badly losing an expensive war at the same time he had invented food stamps and his Great Society. I miss those times, being 17, and that fast truck. I have a much faster truck today but at least where I live no one races, and I suppose that is just as well.

jsizemore
02-21-2022, 10:26 PM

That's the sound that says "start shooting".