PDA

View Full Version : Is there a problem using BP bullets with smokeless loads?

El Bibliotecario
02-17-2022, 12:54 AM
I carelessly ordered a box of black powder bullets from Missouri Bullets. I should have ordered the same bullet but not for black powder. Previously I had asked the company what distinguished a black powder bullet; they replied that a different lubricant was used.

I don't want to pay the return shipping to correct my mistake. Given that both the regular and the black powder bullet are .430 and Brinell 12, is there any problem using these bullets for mild smokeless powder loads in a Ruger and a S&W .44 Special? With the current trend in component substitution to deal with shortages, I am soliciting comments from those who might have done such.

megasupermagnum
02-17-2022, 12:56 AM
Not at all. You may find they even work better than normal.

M-Tecs
02-17-2022, 01:10 AM
Blackpowder lube is designed to keep the fouling soft. There is no problem using it for your application. Smokeless lubes with blackpowder tend not to work well.

414gates
02-17-2022, 03:49 AM
BHN 12 for 44 special velocity is good.

Wayne Smith
02-17-2022, 08:41 AM
For what it's worth I lube all my pistol boolits and BP boolits with the same lube, a modified Emmerts.

sharps4590
02-17-2022, 08:55 AM
No....no problem whatsoever. Depending on the cartridge and firearm I've used them interchangeably for decades.

rintinglen
02-17-2022, 11:33 AM
The only problem that might arise is that in the event of prolonged storage, some BP lubes may contaminate the powder. If you are going to use them up fairly quickly, no problem whatsoever.

El Bibliotecario
02-17-2022, 12:33 PM
Thanks to all who commented. I am relieved I was worrying about nothing.

I have a can of Pyrodex CTG I was considering using with the black powder bullets, but after reading comments about its corrosive potential I decided using up an old can of powder was not worth hazarding $1K worth of revolvers.

Kraschenbirn
02-17-2022, 12:34 PM
I load the same boolits for both BP and smokeless in my BPCRs...same alloy, same lube, same accuracy.

Bill

Geezer in NH
02-17-2022, 02:05 PM
Thanks to all who commented. I am relieved I was worrying about nothing.

I have a can of Pyrodex CTG I was considering using with the black powder bullets, but after reading comments about its corrosive potential I decided using up an old can of powder was not worth hazarding $1K worth of revolvers.Just clean the gun like BP was shot. Clean again the next day. Problems occured when folks didn't clean them right away.

GregLaROCHE
02-18-2022, 09:12 AM
No problem. The lube grooves may be a little larger, but that shouldn’t cause any problems.