PDA

View Full Version : Suggested mold & recipe for Glock .40

ghh3rd
01-20-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm interested in casting for my Glock .40 caliber and would appreciate any suggestions on a mold, as well as a lead recipe that the Glock could shoot without the stripping and fouling issues that I hear about.

Is it possible to do this without having to purchase an aftermarket barrel with regular rifling?

A powder recipe appropriate to the suggested bullet would also be welcome. This would be for general plinking and range shooting.

Thanks,

Randy

runfiverun
01-20-2009, 01:30 AM
the glock bbls just aren't made for lead, the stories you have heard have basis in them.
i have also talked to guy's who have used their glock bbl's, with lead. but i ain't gonna do it.
just lower your jacketed load and work back up.

ghh3rd
01-20-2009, 01:45 AM
After I posted this question, I started researching the Lone Wolf barrels. If they work as well as it seems they do, it would be worth $100 to avoid the risks associatd with increased pressures from fouling on the .40 cal rounds.

I read that reusing the .40 brass is risky in Glocks since their barrels are unsupported. Would this problem be eliminated by using the Wolf barrel since it is "more supported"? Would the brass be able to be reused as many times as any other brass?

I also noticed on the Lone Wolf site that I could order a drop in conversion barrel to shoot 9mm in my Glock 27. I'm not sure why I would actually want to do that since I could use lead in their .40 barrel, but the idea intrigued me.

Randy

mooman76
01-20-2009, 01:54 AM
I used lead bullets in my glock 22. I used several different bullets and never got leading. I used light-medium loads, staying away from full power. I used both lee 40 cal 175g moulds with no problems. I also never shot more than a box of 50 at a time so I could check for leading. Supposedly the new glocks have better supported chambers although still partially unsupported. I also bought a wolf barrel and it shot good as well but the chamber is not as generous as the glock so using bullets as dropped caused some feeding issues with rounds that wouldn't chamber.
On a side not you can drop in a 357sig replacement barrel real easy. You can use the same mags since the round is the same diameter as the 40.

EMC45
01-20-2009, 06:26 AM
I don't have a .40, but loaded a good bit for others and the load I went with was 5gr. Bullseye under a Lee 175gr. TC bullet with WSP Primer. The report I got back was they were smokey (Bullseye and moly lube. duh?!?!) but no leading. He shot 200 by the way.

barnetmill
01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
I also noticed on the Lone Wolf site that I could order a drop in conversion barrel to shoot 9mm in my Glock 27. I'm not sure why I would actually want to do that since I could use lead in their .40 barrel, but the idea intrigued me.
Randy

I use the 9mm wolf barrel in my G33 (.357 sig version of G27) because 9 mm is cheaper, a lot cheaper than .357 sig. It works so far 100%.

superior
01-22-2009, 02:00 AM
I have fired over 500 180gr hornady 10mm boolits in my Glock 23 without any issues. I never had a trace of leading. Now that those boolits are no longer available, I cast my own Lee TL-401-175's. My recipe is 6.8 grains of hodgdon hs-6 @ 1.135 oal. Shoots milder than factory with the cases landing about 5 feet away. My penetration tests left me astounded. My old load was 3.9 grains of bullseye and although pretty accurate, didn't do as well as the hs-6. I have yet to see any leading from any of my cast loads. I believe the bugaboo with the glock is that if the boolits dont fit properly leading will occur as well as gunk build-up from lube. These factors may lead to the round not completely chambering and firing out of battery. If for ANY reason the weapon is fired out of battery, a catastrophic blow-up is likely. I tumble lube my pistol boolits with LLA but I'm currently experimenting with a 50/50 parrafin and synthetic bearing grease lube. I don't size the boolits. Test cycle your loaded ammo manually to ensure proper chambering, dont load hot and make sure your chamber and bore are staying clean. Based on my experience you shouldn't have a problem. Others are shooting cast boolits out of their stock glock barrels without issue also. At 15 yards in the weaver stance I'm getting 3 inch groups. I can hit pop-cans at 25 yards almost everytime from the sitting position.
Not too shabby for a four inch barrel, eh? After shooting I examine the bore and chamber before cleaning. I'm getting no residue of powder,lead,or burned lube. And who says polygonal rifling and lead aren't compatible? Of course, knock on wood. Oh, my alloy is straight acww.

ghh3rd
01-23-2009, 01:10 PM
What I don't understand is that if a firearm is susceptible to firing out of battery for whatever reason, why isn't a fix implemented to prevent it happening? Perhaps something that keeps the pin from striking if the slide is not fully forward.

I admit that I don't know what I'm talking about, but it just seems obvious opportunity for some designer.

Randy

01-23-2009, 01:38 PM
i load the lee 175 gr tc bullet with 4.0 gr win wst powder. nice light load about 850 fps.

Harmon_Greer
02-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Speaking from years of experience and over 100000 40 caliber rounds fired in a glock 40 with cast lead bullets i can tell you the following:

They shoot good enough to allow me to become a Master class shooter in USPSA. TY50568
Aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling is a MUST
The lone wolf barrels are a good value but the chambers are TIGHT and the throats are TIGHTER!
KKM is a good barrel
I like WST powder for its mild recoil and low smoke production with cast lead bullets.
my favorite bullet is the Lyman 401043.
I shoot all my bullets at 950 fps or faster (to make uspsa major power factor)
Factory barrel's chamber are extremely loose and offer little case support.
lead bullets in glock barrels will cause KaBOOOM. (i have seen 5 guns go up shooting lead, None were mine)

defib
02-14-2009, 03:45 AM
On a side not you can drop in a 357sig replacement barrel real easy. You can use the same mags since the round is the same diameter as the 40.

I checked with lone wolf on line and haven't found a 357 sig barrel for my g22. I am really interested in this because it looks like I could use the same boolet in it as my 380 auto. granted I will probably have to size them down to 355. If you have an idea of where to find one please pass it along.