PDA

View Full Version : Anyone made a western gun belt?

Bnt55
02-16-2022, 08:02 PM
I am able to buy some holsters with a belt loop for my twin 1858 New Army Remingtons 8" barrel, but I can't find a nice wide belt with a cap and ball bag and I was thinking about making one for myself. I do have some leather tools but no experience other than practical sense and the internet. Has anyone made anything like this that could speak to the difficulty of belt making?

Tim357
02-16-2022, 11:55 PM
Look at Tandy Leather. They have belt blanks and used to have some decent period buckles

cwtebay
02-17-2022, 12:05 AM
Belts are pretty straight forward, especially if you are the end user. Pick a design you like and start!!! There are hundreds of designs online for what you want.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

NC_JEFF
02-17-2022, 06:55 AM
Making the belt is simple but time consuming (if hand stitching). This is a good gateway project to get stsrted in leatherworking, I say that because there are 7-8 different tools your going to want to have to do a good job on this belt. If this is a one and done project then order a strap of leather to your desired width, they can be bought with finished edges. Buy a separate strap of 1 1/4" for attaching buckle and fastening end. Even doing this yourself your going to need diamond stitching chisels, @) 1mm waxed nylon thread , needles , a sharp utility knife for cutting the leather, a hole punch and contact cement. I actually found my leather mentor on this very forum but I would suggest you view hours of tutorials on dyeing, stitching, edge finishing leather. Good luck on your gun belt, it'll look nice with the matching holsters
Jeff

rintinglen
02-18-2022, 12:30 PM
^^^^True words, these. There is a lot of work involved.

I have only made one, for the cutting, carving and stitching lead to about 40 hours of labor. If I can find my camera I'll post a picture.

Bnt55
02-18-2022, 10:03 PM
The prices of leather at Tandy's almost make it cheaper to buy one already made.

sniper
02-19-2022, 01:15 PM
Yes...leather prices have followed many other things. I made a belt for my son this Christmas. IMO, Tandy belt blanks are a tad flimsy, sooo, I bought two and glued them
together.
Now, THAT is a belt! I went by information I got from his significant other, and made it a 42. When he tried it...too short! [smilie=b:
Disappointed! He said he loved it, and ordered an extension, which made it fit. I may make him one to match the original basketweave. Ah well...the best laid plans...:oops: