PDA

View Full Version : FFG or FFFG (ANTIQUE) Winchester 1866

Doolin-Dalton
02-16-2022, 05:12 PM
Antique Winchester Model 1866 SRC, manufactured 1869. Firing pin has been converted to Centerfire.

Question: I am planning to shoot this 1866 and need help on Powder, have already purchased:
1) Brass Shells from BACO, these are trimmed down S&W 44 SPL cases cut to original 44 Henry Length
2) 200 grain .442 Lead Boolits with .422 Heel
3) Large Pistol Primers

Using my Lyman 310 with 44 Mag Dies, I did a test fit and the Boolit seats nicely into the shell casing, good & tight and the overall length/dimensions are matching my 44 Henry Antique RF Bullets.

Question about the powder. I have a supply of BOTH Pyrodex RS (used in my antique muskets) and Pyrodex P. Pyrodex RS is FFG, and Pyrodex P is FFFG. I was planning to load 25 grains powder, should I use the P or RS? When I test fit the RS into the shell, at 25gr it fills it up almost entirely and doesn't leave enough head space for the heel of the Boolit to seat. Using the RS I'd only be able to get about 21-22 grains in there. I imagine the P is a faster burning compound and it is much less granular, perhaps it will fit more in? Or is it going to be the same with both, 21 grs is the max fitment?

In either case (no pun intended) is the RS more suitable for this application? Anyone already done this and if so, any insights on Muzzle fps, with 21grains? Hoping to reach at least 1000 fps.

Thanks in advance!

smkummer
02-18-2022, 07:30 PM
I am not home right now to see if I have any left but Pyrodex used to make pyrodex cartridge. If I recall, it had the largest granules of either R/S or P. If it were myself, I would go with R/S and full but not compressed. Hope your venture works and I wanna keep watching for your results. Others will comment on what outside lube works best with pyrodex.

Doolin-Dalton
02-19-2022, 03:35 PM
I'll get some video and photos when all the supplies are in hand and ready to shoot. Right now waiting on LP primers. I do have ample supply of LR primers, but the chart I read online indicates LP primers for the 44 S&W SPL cases I'm using to match the old 44 Henry size. Even if both LR and LP primers would fit, guessing the LP primers is the safer, more conservative way to go on an antique rifle like this? I've read about the LR primers have a thicker case, requires more striker pressure, but they also have more combustion pressures, more ummpf when fired?

indian joe
02-20-2022, 04:20 AM
I'll get some video and photos when all the supplies are in hand and ready to shoot. Right now waiting on LP primers. I do have ample supply of LR primers, but the chart I read online indicates LP primers for the 44 S&W SPL cases I'm using to match the old 44 Henry size. Even if both LR and LP primers would fit, guessing the LP primers is the safer, more conservative way to go on an antique rifle like this? I've read about the LR primers have a thicker case, requires more striker pressure, but they also have more combustion pressures, more ummpf when fired?

to your original question I would shoot FFg in this old gun simply because the pressure peak (with blackpowder) is a little less with coarser powder

large pistol primers are shorter height than large rifle and the primer pocket depth in pistol cases is different to suit so pistol primers should be the correct fit for your cases

------44/40 winchester (being a rifle case originally) has the deeper pocket for rifle primers where the 44 magnum (designed as a pistol case has the shallower pocket)

Doolin-Dalton
02-20-2022, 11:25 PM
Thanks Joe. That makes sense as the FFG has been safe so far in all of my CW muskets and some of those probably shouldn't have been shooting based on their age and condition. Waiting on these LP primers to arrive in the mail to give this Winchester a shot.