PDA

View Full Version : Candied Jalapenos

dale2242
02-16-2022, 06:49 AM
I made up 9 1/2 pints of pickled jalapenos yesterday.
They say to wait for at least for 2 weeks before using them.
I think they will go great with this Pig Shots recipe:

https://bearmountainbbq.com/blogs/recipes/half-time-pig-shots

GregLaROCHE
02-16-2022, 08:17 AM
Sounds like a spicy version of bread and butter pickles. They could be good just plain too.
I had a friend who used to make nougat candy with some sort of red hot peppers in it. Sweet and spicy go well together in my book.

Wayne Smith
02-17-2022, 08:22 AM
He left out what to do with the cream cheese mixture! Put it in before or after cooking?

MaryB
02-17-2022, 02:00 PM
He left out what to do with the cream cheese mixture! Put it in before or after cooking?

It goes in the cup before cooking... usually... jut like in a jalapeno popper

dale2242
02-18-2022, 06:04 AM
What Mary said ^^^^^^

ruger1980
02-20-2022, 03:55 PM
The girl friend did up a bunch of them this year with her surplus Jalapenos. They great on sandwiches, sweet and spicy.

Shanghai Jack
02-20-2022, 05:14 PM
I made up 9 1/2 pints of pickled jalapenos yesterday.
They say to wait for at least for 2 weeks before using them.
I think they will go great with this Pig Shots recipe:
i
https://bearmountainbbq.com/blogs/recipes/half-time-pig-shots
Okay - I read the teaser = where's the recipe for the jalapenos?

dale2242
02-23-2022, 08:45 AM
I Googled for Candied Jalapenos and came up with this one.

Ingredients:
1# of fresh Jalapenos : I bought the biggest I could find
1 cup apple cider vinegar
3 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp celery seed

Instructions:
1. Remove and discard stems from peppers, then slice into 1/4" slices. Set peppers aside.
2. To a large pot, add vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, turmeric, and celery seed and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to about MED LOW and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Raise the heat to about MED HIGH a bring mixture back to a boil. Once boiling, add the pepper slices. Allow to return to a boil, then reduce heat again to MED LOW and simmer for 4 minutes.
4. Transfer the peppers, using a slotted spoon, to clean glass canning jars, filling jars to 1/4" of the upper rim of the jar.
5. Only the syrup should remain in the pot at this point. Increase the heat to bring to a full rolling boil. Boil for 6 minutes.
6. Ladle the syrup into the jars with the Jalapeno slices. Get rid of any trapped air. Fill the jars to within 1/4-1/2" from the rim of the jar.
7. Wipe the rims of the jars with a damp paper towel, then screw on the canning jar lids. Refrigerate for at least 1-2 week [3-4 weeks for optimal flavor.

dale2242
02-25-2022, 08:07 AM
I opened my first jar of candied jalapenos that I canned from the recipe above.
I can see why they call them Cowboy Candy.
Nachos with them strewn on top would be killer.

Texas by God
02-25-2022, 03:32 PM
You had me at jalapeņo……..my favorite fruit!

LenH
03-09-2022, 01:05 PM
I love some Cowboy Candy. Made 2 batches this past summer. I grew some jalapenos that were down right hot, Biker Billy variety a little hotter than regular jalapenos.
I like them on a Hamburger and especially on pizza.

farmbif
03-09-2022, 01:30 PM
I got my bottle of tums handy. don't know what it is about getting old but 20 years ago I probably would have made emergency trip to grocery store to get the ingredients.

Smoke4320
06-04-2022, 01:21 PM
sounds like something I have to make

shootinfox2
06-08-2022, 07:35 PM
Try jalepeno peanut brittle!

ACC
06-08-2022, 11:00 PM
Yum Yum candied Jalapenos!

ACC

Winger Ed.
06-08-2022, 11:34 PM
I Googled for Candied Jalapenos and came up with this one.
Ingredients:
1# of fresh Jalapenos : I bought the biggest I could find
r.

If you're buying them, the lighter green they are, the milder they'll be.
If you can find a grocery store that caters to Hispanics-- that's the place to shop.
If the store doesn't have a really great produce section, they won't shop there.

A quick method to making plain simple ones is to get the jars or cans of sliced Jalapenos from the grocery store,
dump out/drain all the liquid, put them in a covered bowl, and bury them in sugar.
Stir every day or so for a few days.

The sugar draws out plenty of liquid and makes its own syrup.
Store in jars in the refrigerator.

Quick, easy, and they're great---- even without a package of the old school cherry Kool-Aid.

farmerjim
06-09-2022, 07:22 AM
My wife makes one similar to this. They are great.
I had 2 of them with supper last night.

dale2242
06-09-2022, 07:49 AM
I used to grow my own jalapenos.
I could never get them to achieve the size of the ones that are offered in the stores.
At the price they are sold for, I no longer grow them.
The larger ones are just nicer for making candied jalapenos and poppers.

farmerjim
06-09-2022, 09:42 AM
I could never get them to achieve the size of the ones that are offered in the stores.
At the price they are sold for, I no longer grow them.
The larger ones are just nicer for making candied jalapenos and poppers.

Start your own transplants from seed. Pick a variety that is large and has the scoville heat rating that you like. My favorite variety is one that has a number for its name. PS 11435810 , It is a jumbo jalapeno with a scoville rating of about 2000, which is not too hot.

Winger Ed.
06-09-2022, 01:16 PM

They can be picky about the chemistry and amount/type of fertilizer in their dirt.

My neighbor once grew some various peppers and things in our black land soil that has a rather high acid level.
Everything grew big, but even the radishes were so hot most people couldn't eat them.