PDA

View Full Version : Louverin design?

NSP64
01-19-2009, 10:45 PM
For all you Louverin design boolit shooters I have a Question. Do you lube all the grooves even if they are outside the case?

jhalcott
01-19-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't. They will attract TO MUCH dirt if they are all lubed. Of course the lube and barrel length might dictate other wise. I tumbled some in LLA and shot them in my 308 pistol and 30-06 rifle. I believe I had way to much lube on them. I haven't got back to try a thinner coating yet. With FWFL I only lube the part that's in the case. So far no leading!

BruceB
01-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Using several different Loverins here, and with today's lubes I only have to lube the grooves inside the case neck.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the bullets DID need to have all the grooves filled, at the time of their introduction (early 1950s).

My M1A should be eating up a bunch of 311466 loads tomorrow, as weather looks good and I have the day off.

Buckshot
01-20-2009, 01:09 AM
..............Nope.

PS: There is supposed to be a 'Saint' in front of Guy's name :-)

................Buckshot

runfiverun
01-20-2009, 01:14 AM
i try them both ways sometimes they shoot better with them all full.
i also try them sized before lubing for more bearing length,and less lube capacity.
i have had the same gun like one load full of lube and another one wiped clean.
same lube same boolit, different powders, cases, and primers.

runfiverun
01-20-2009, 01:15 AM
i try them both ways sometimes they shoot better with them all full.
i also try them sized before lubing for more bearing length,and less lube capacity.
i have had the same gun like one load full of lube and another one wiped clean.
same lube same boolit, different powders, cases, and primers.

AZ-Stew
01-20-2009, 01:23 AM
I fill mine. I'm not using them for hunting. The loaded rounds are kept in a 100-round MTM box until I need them at the range, so collection of dirt and debris isn't an issue.

Regards,

Stew

Larry Gibson
01-20-2009, 08:05 AM
They shoot better at higher velocity/acceleration with all the grooves full. The lube keeps the bullet better supported and allows less setback and compression in the groove area do to high accelleration. With softer alloy Lovern bullets s shot for target accuracy or pushed hard for hunting filling all the lube grooves is most often more accurate for the same reasons. For most loads that are down in or under the RPM threshold with 18+ BN bullets lubing only half (those inside the case neck) the lube groove is usually sufficient.

Larry Gibson

pdawg_shooter
01-20-2009, 09:19 AM
I prefer Louverin above all, but I paper patch. I patch full length to the ogive and lube full length. I think the paper gives enough support so I can get just about any velocity, with accuracy that I want.

1Shirt
01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I lube all the way, they just look better loaded, and I am not hunting them, so storage is in plastic. They shoot better also I think.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Irascible
01-20-2009, 10:45 AM
I use LBT Blue. it is the older harder version and it has been proved that it's too much lube for a string of shots. there seems to always be a flier as the barrel purges itself of the excess lube. So, I do not lube all the grooves anyway. But it takes some testing to find out how much is enough. In my 38-55 using the RCBS bullet (not lovern style), it shoots best with only the lower two grooves filled. In my 35 Winchester, The main grooves are outside the cartridge and I fill them all for best accuracy, and thats for hunting! I just be carefull and keep those not in the magazine protected.
So, the answer is to experiment. Sorry, no easy answer.

Kraschenbirn
01-21-2009, 05:56 PM
I use Jake's Purple Ceresin and fill all grooves of my 311466s (which produce consistent MOA 100M groups in two of my four .30 cal. rifles).

Bill

Ben
01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
It may not be necessary , but I fill ALL of mine.
I've shot some pretty impressive groups with them with all grooves filled.

Ben