PDA

View Full Version : We got Chumped

white eagle
02-15-2022, 05:12 PM
My wife and my charge card got hacked awhile back
so after getting that squared got away they are sending us 2 new cards
however whoever scammed our cards took over the account and had the new cards sent to them at a different address in Las Vegas
if I wasn't on top of this we would have been chumped again however I got it fixed again what a pain
I don't know how it happened but it did, and it makes me less willing to buy online anymore even though the cc company took care of it :sad:

Milsurp Junkie
02-15-2022, 05:17 PM
Sorry to hear. You could get a pre-paid credit card and just use it for online transactions. I actually trust online more than gas pumps, i have seen more skimmers there.

fastdadio
02-15-2022, 05:22 PM
Sounds like either an inside job at the CC office, or somebody hacked your user name and passwords. I would immediately change all your passwords for everything.... Pronto.

Baltimoreed
02-15-2022, 05:29 PM
It might be a hassle but I use cash and sometimes checks when I get gas. Use personal checks at the Food Lion and all my monthly bills. CC is my last resort. I have a single card that has a low $ max that is tied to my eBay, Amazon etc accounts.

imashooter2
02-15-2022, 07:01 PM
I use the RFID at gas pumps, but there is plenty of opportunity for my card to be stolen online or in restaurants.

higgins
02-15-2022, 07:03 PM
Our card was compromised once. I had an idea it was at a local fast-food place. Oddly enough, the next time I went to that restaurant, the entire crew that was there before had been replaced. Makes you wonder.

Winger Ed.
02-15-2022, 07:08 PM
If law enforcement has any desire to prosecute that case,
having the address the new cards were sent to is a big leg up for them.

gwpercle
02-15-2022, 07:12 PM
Sounds like either an inside job at the CC office, or somebody hacked your user name and passwords. I would immediately change all your passwords for everything.... Pronto.

My thoughts also ... The Credit Card Company is doing a lousy job protecting itself and it's customers .
They knew you had problems , knew your phone # and didn't call to verify you "moved" to a new address in Las Vegas and they didn't think anything about that big red flag ... Not Your fault here ...Credit Card Co needs to up it's security game . Have you thought about changing ... lots of companies out there that would love to have your business ... some one got a hold to way too much information ... I would have to have a long talk with the manager ( or at least 3 or 4 ..."Let me speak to your boss " and see if they can do better .

Like WingerEd said that address could be helpful ... probly only a mail drop box , but at the mail center my wife works at ...the box address helped the FBI bust two different criminals ... using the mail in crimes is a Federal Crime and the Feds can have agents pose as workers , bad guy checks his mail box and pow ...on go the cuff's . My wife has worked with a few FBI agents while they staked out the place ... and both time the FBI got their men.
Gary

Baltimoreed
02-15-2022, 07:29 PM
Always thought that the ripoff of Americans income tax refunds could be so easily prevented. The system has built in red flags to alert the irs to a tax issue, why wouldn't a change of address from last years return be a red flag and require a confirmation before a refund check is sent? Or multiple checks going to the same address. Of course it’s not their money.

pmer
02-15-2022, 07:32 PM
Leaving a parking ramp and paying by CC, I gave the attendant my card and after she swiped it I watched her flip both sides of my card in front of her cell phone. Nothing happened to my card but she could've recorded all the info she needed from the card.

That ramp is pay station only now.

ryanmattes
02-15-2022, 08:42 PM
Most credit card companies will let you go online and get a one-time use card number that's associated with your account for shopping online. They basically give you a specific card number that you can use once and it will work, but if anyone tries to use it again it's flagged as fraud.

It's a pain if you shop online a lot, and it doesn't work in person, but it's good for what it's intended for.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

GOPHER SLAYER
02-15-2022, 09:36 PM
I used my credit card to buy a TV at Wally World and when we got the cc bill someone in Amsterdam had bought $17 worth of TV viewing. I think it was a test run. Wells Fargo took care of it with no problem. I have not bought anything with it since except medicine and they already know my card #.

Kenstone
02-15-2022, 10:54 PM
Same here, but with a twist.
Bogus charge on a card and did the call/cancel/re-issue thing.
Got the new cards and a week later the same bogus charge shows up on the new card.
The card company transferred the bogus charge onto the new card :veryconfu
I feel your pain,
:(

Rcmaveric
02-15-2022, 11:06 PM
They tried to scam me today. I got a phone call call from Verizon saying my bill was over due and I was getting disconnected. Number struck me off because it had a 904 area code enstead of a 1 800. Hung up and called Verizon. The official Verizon said i was good and i reported the scam attempt.

Saddly my wife got scammed so many times we are no longer allowed to have credit cards or bank cards. Just ATM cards. Which I am fine with. I pay my bills with E checks and use a refillable credit card for online purchases.

Moleman-
02-15-2022, 11:20 PM
Wife travels a lot for work and gets hacked at least once a year. Every time it's been my card it's been an out of the country purchase. New Zealand, Japan and Panama so far. When it happend the first time I asked if the card could have a stop put on it for anything outside of the USA and was told they couldn't do that.... Makes me believe they just don't care.

ryanmattes
02-16-2022, 01:33 AM
Wife travels a lot for work and gets hacked at least once a year. Every time it's been my card it's been an out of the country purchase. New Zealand, Japan and Panama so far. When it happend the first time I asked if the card could have a stop put on it for anything outside of the USA and was told they couldn't do that.... Makes me believe they just don't care.That's crazy, because I went to Vancouver and tried to use my card and it was rejected. Called the bank and they said it was flagged as fraud because it was so far from where I live and where all my normal purchases are. I told them it was really me, and I had to wait 24 hours for it to start accepting charges again.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Milsurp Junkie
02-16-2022, 08:19 AM
Yeah, they can block out of country charges...they may not be set up that way, but they can. You can also set up alerts if any out of country charges are made, if any online purchases are made, over certain value, or if it is a new store, etc...and have it email or txt you an alert.

Ickisrulz
02-16-2022, 08:32 AM
Credit cards are still the safest way to buy anything.

Good Cheer
02-16-2022, 08:32 AM
Any more experiences involving ebay?
Amazon?
Others?

GregLaROCHE
02-16-2022, 08:38 AM
It seems like a lot of people don’t like PayPal, but it’s always worked well for me. The couple of times I had problems, they always sided with me. I feel a lot more comfortable with PayPal for internet sales. If a site doesn’t take PayPal I usually won’t purchase from them, especially if I can find the same item with one that does.

I once had my ATT number stolen, back in the day they existed. I didn’t know a thing about it until several weeks later, when the number wouldn’t work for me. Turns out there were expensive calls being made all over the word with it. ATT took care of everything. It didn’t cost me a cent.

MrWolf
02-16-2022, 09:36 AM
If law enforcement has any desire to prosecute that case,
having the address the new cards were sent to is a big leg up for them.

Had a Discover card that got hacked at Walmart. Couple of iPads were scheduled to be picked up that afternoon somewhere out west. Called and told them have the police waiting - nope not worth it to them. I no longer use Discover after I tried removing my ex from my account which was established long before married, and they gave me the biggest bull story. They had me open a new account and then told me I had to start at a new account spending limit even after almost 30 years. I keep the card open but refuse to use it. Their loss. Oh well.

gwpercle
02-16-2022, 12:45 PM
It seems like a lot of people don’t like PayPal, but it’s always worked well for me. The couple of times I had problems, they always sided with me. I feel a lot more comfortable with PayPal for internet sales. If a site doesn’t take PayPal I usually won’t purchase from them, especially if I can find the same item with one that does.

I once had my ATT number stolen, back in the day they existed. I didn’t know a thing about it until several weeks later, when the number wouldn’t work for me. Turns out there were expensive calls being made all over the word with it. ATT took care of everything. It didn’t cost me a cent.

My wife , daughter and son all do a LOT of online shopping and prefer PayPal ... never had any problems with them and several times PayPal solved / fixed / took care of potential problems we had with sellers ... always helping us out . That made me feel good about paying through PayPal.
Gary

waksupi
02-16-2022, 01:19 PM
I have two accounts. One for internet use, with a very limited amount of funds. The other is my main account, that never gets used on the internet, and very seldom in a walk in business.

MT Gianni
02-16-2022, 02:35 PM
While the cc card company should have done better, you need to check your accounts regularly and make sure they do notify you of transactions when the card isn't present and to any changes in personal info. Address changes, phone number changes and additions. It takes time but in todays world we cannot afford to be complacent. It takes no more skills than posting on this board does.

MaryB
02-16-2022, 02:47 PM
All my cards alert me to ANY account changes and give me a chance to block them...

Fast food places are the biggest source of credit card theft, I have started keeping $100 in cash with me to pay for eating out with friends. Got tired of having my card hacked. Local Arby's was the worst, police eventually raided them and found the entire crew was in on it. Franchise owner almost lost his franchise over it. Now he has security cameras everywhere but the bathrooms, but the doors in and out are covered.

Thundarstick
02-18-2022, 11:32 PM
We only use debit cards and our bank has a function that let's me turn on and off how and when the cards used, it's called "lock it". Unlock the card, make a purchase, lock the card. It notifies me if a purchase attempt is made while locked down as well.
I had one stolen years ago, most likley at a restaurant, where the card was out of my sight. Here's a big deterrent, scratch that little CVV code off the back of your card and keep it somewhere else. You can use it with a PIN number at store fronts, but must have that CVV to purchase on line. Remove it from the card, and a waiter, cashier, or hotel attendant can't use it even if they have your card number! I've never had another card compromised, my wife is lax and has been snipped three times now!

shootinfox2
02-20-2022, 09:03 PM
Got my cc bill. Did a reconciliation of Amazon purchases. One I did not recognize and was not listed on my Amazon orders list. Called the cc company and alerted them. So far no response from Amazon. Check your orders against charges. Some resellers s appear to be kiting money. Buy a product, jack the price and resell. Lately, tracking shows delivery when the item is not delivered. Notified seller and miraculously, item was lost in shipment. Beware and verify.

Freightman
02-23-2022, 05:02 PM
The best CC I have ever seen is the ones I ran through a shredder hope to never use one again. :D

Baltimoreed
02-23-2022, 06:06 PM
When my wife and I went to Ireland 15 years ago my visa card was declined. My wife's was ok. Turned out it had to be activated for out of country use. You need to get another card company.

Wooserco
02-23-2022, 09:52 PM
Wife and I live in Michigan. Went to Indiana for a weekend, put hotel, meals, grand daughter's birthday, etc. on the debit card. Fuel, meals, the whole nine yards. Stopped at a Wally World to get groceries on the way home. When checking out, I said to my wife: "someone is having a heluva time on your debit card." We didn't make it to the parking lot before the Credit Union called to verify the charges against our debit card.

Pays to be a Credit Union member and keep everything as local as you possibly can.

Nazgul
02-24-2022, 07:11 AM
Happened to me a couple times over the years. Our Credit Union is very good and on the ball.

I figure it is part of living in the modern world. Pay it off every month so no interest charges.

Don

brassrat
02-24-2022, 10:20 AM
I wasn't happy when scammed by a company for a ongoing deal that I didnt authorize. The CC company gave me a new card and gave the co. the new info and they sent the product again. Finally settled and I got everything at no charge.