PDA

View Full Version : Jewish Wedding

dverna
02-15-2022, 12:28 PM
I could not find my first thread about my son marrying a Jewish lady and wanted to share my experience.

Essentially....WE HAD A BLAST!!!!

There is a lot of ceremony. The Rabbi was fantastic and coached me through it. There was no rehearsal, so we winged it.

We felt very welcomed, and it made me think about how a people who have been se persecuted and maligned for centuries could be so open.

Even though there was a sign at the entry asking for people to use masks we only had them on for maybe 15 minutes. The synagogue did not make a big deal about it. We did not have to wear a kippah (skull cap).

If you ever get the chance to attend a Jewish wedding...TAKE IT!!

It is a demanding faith with many rules that most of us would find onerous. For example, my son could not be left alone before the wedding. My fiancé and I had to drive to his home so we could get his car to the synagogue the morning of the wedding. He had to convert to Judaism for the marriage to be recognized by the Jewish community, and there is a covenent that is signed.

They are not allowed to drive (among other restrictions) on the Shabbat (sabbath). For my son that requires a 5 mile walk (each way) to worship. They cannot use a bicycle or be a passenger. He and his new wife are looking at moving closer to the synagogue as a result.

As I said above...if you ever get invited to a Jewish wedding you will enjoy yourself, and the people are wonderful.

NSB
02-15-2022, 01:01 PM
Don, I remember your first post on this. I tried to make some encouraging comments wishing it would all end up well. It looks like it did and I’m happy for you, your son and his bride, and both families. Congrats to everyone.

grayscale
02-15-2022, 04:03 PM
Mazel Tov

Thumbcocker
02-15-2022, 07:46 PM
5000 years of unbroken tradition. I don't understand all of it but I respect it a lot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Maven
02-15-2022, 08:01 PM
A big thumbs up to the above! And, lest I forget, Mazel Tov to Don V!

jaysouth
02-16-2022, 02:04 AM
I live a couple of blocks from a Lubovich temple, an ultra orthodox jewish sect. All members can only walk to Shabat on their sabbath. I let a bunch of them come through my back gate as a short cut to the temple. I once offered one a business card. He said he could carry it on the sabbath. Seems weird to me but they seem like nice people to me.

dverna
02-16-2022, 05:48 AM
A big thumbs up to the above! And, lest I forget, Mazel Tov to Don V!

Todah

MrWolf
02-16-2022, 09:58 AM
My cousin converted with her first husband. I think we wore the kippah for the ceremony but it was a very long time ago. Everybody enjoyed themselves too.

hiram
02-16-2022, 10:21 AM
Mazel Tov!!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-16-2022, 11:38 AM
I also remember your original thread.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?436260-Son-marrying-a-Jewish-woman

It's great to hear it was a blessed experience.

dverna
02-16-2022, 12:14 PM
JonB
Thanks for finding the original thread. I am useless at finding stuff on forums.

William Yanda
02-16-2022, 12:20 PM
Sounds like he married into a very traditional congregation. As with other religions there are multiple varieties of Jewish observers.