PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M die for .350 Remington Magnum

selmerfan
02-15-2022, 11:52 AM
So...I'm playing with this new-to-me XP100 chambered in .350 Remington Magnum with a 16" bull barrel. I'll be using both cast and jacketed, and it occurred to me that I should probably have a Lyman M die for expanding my case necks. Which M die do I use for this? Or is there another expander die that would work as well? I did some internet searching, but didn't come up with any answers for the M die question and I figured someone here would know.
Thanks for the help!
Selmer

Mk42gunner
02-15-2022, 05:12 PM
I would order one for the .357 Magnum/.357 Max. This will get you the short die body, but there is plenty of adjustment with the threads.

I have not tried it, but I think it will work.

Robert

georgerkahn
02-15-2022, 05:48 PM
I have a wee Unimat lathe. That said, I've purchased M dies larger in diameter than I needed, and turned them to the size/diameter I desired. I was at first apprehensive to do this, thinking the steel would be hardened. To my pleasant surprise, albeit my cutting was very light, I was able to patiently cut the dies down to the die size I wanted. I use collet sizing dies, and was able to make "almost-perfect" size-wise M dies to match my collet size doing this. Bion, my application, too, was/is for a Remington XP100, but a different calibre. Note, too, I use a Forster CoAx press and my turned "M" dies are longer than those provided by Lyman. I did not want any mouth belling; e.g., mine is a straight expansion.
geo

selmerfan
02-15-2022, 10:38 PM
Yes - the straight expansion is what I'm looking for. I've got a short M die body and I assumed the .350 Rem Mag was to wide in diameter for it. Maybe I just need the mandrel? I'll have to go down and check. Thanks for the input guys!

gwpercle
02-17-2022, 07:43 PM
So...I'm playing with this new-to-me XP100 chambered in .350 Remington Magnum with a 16" bull barrel. I'll be using both cast and jacketed, and it occurred to me that I should probably have a Lyman M die for expanding my case necks. Which M die do I use for this? Or is there another expander die that would work as well? I did some internet searching, but didn't come up with any answers for the M die question and I figured someone here would know.
Thanks for the help!
Selmer

NOE Bullet Moulds makes M-Die inserts for use in the Lee Universal Neck Expanding Die , the Lee expanding inserts simply flare the case neck ... the NOE inserts are M-Die shaped and come in different sizes . There are 9 different 35 cal. expanders listed @$7.50 ...all in stock.
NOE also sells the Lee Universal Expanding Die ($16.98 in stock) on page 1 of rifle expanders if you don't already have one .
Go to their site ... click on Home - click Shop - find Expanders on list(left side of screen) scroll down - Find Expanders and click on rifle expanders - scroll down to 35 cal ones . There are about 9 different 35 cal sizes shown on page 2 of 3 . The Lee Expander Die with NOE M-Die inserts are a economical and awesome set up . Check them out at
www.noebulletmoulds.com
Gary