PDA

View Full Version : Lost my cat today

rockrat
02-15-2022, 12:45 AM
My cat died earlier today. Last animal we had. Lost the other cat in October. Got this one when she was maybe 3 weeks old. Nose to end of tail she wasn't as long as my hand, when we got her. Bottle fed her and she slept in my lap most of the time. Made it almost to 16 years old. Doesn't seem like its been that long ago we got her.

Winger Ed.
02-15-2022, 01:00 AM
Sorry to hear that.
It's hard to fathom how close they become to us.

cwtebay
02-15-2022, 01:21 AM
I'm sorry you lost your friend today.
As my grandfather used to tell me;
I hope her last day was the first day before her worst day.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

lightman
02-15-2022, 01:30 AM
Sorry for your loss. 16 years was a good run.

buckwheatpaul
02-15-2022, 07:00 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Cats and dogs are special in our home and they give us so much love and devotion! If ya live in the country like we do someone will drop them off and you will get another cat or dog. When I was losing our schnauzer, my dog, God sent me a huge tom cat who moved into our home, our life, and my lap! Otis made losing Maggie easier as he refused to allow me to have a bad day!

square butte
02-15-2022, 07:01 AM
Very sorry for your loss - Cats work there way deep into your heart. Especially if you had her since she was tiny. Your put your heart and soul into her. I hope she's there waiting for you when your time comes

Hickok
02-15-2022, 09:15 AM
Hard to loose such a good friend.

Good Cheer
02-15-2022, 09:19 AM
Sorry to hear rockrat.
It's what we sign on for but yeah, it's never easy.

ddeck22
02-15-2022, 09:41 AM
It's not easy. Lost my buddy last year at 18 and the time flew by. Best wishes

warren5421
02-15-2022, 09:53 AM
I know your pain as I have lost 8 house cats over the years. Another one will steal your heart one day though it is hard to believe at this time. Each of mine was going to be the last but another one wormed its way into my heart.

Hope this poem helps.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

DougGuy
02-15-2022, 09:55 AM
Some things just stick with us for the duration. Sorry for your loss but look at the years of memories that cat imbued you with. They leave behind treasured memories not unlike ornaments on a Christmas tree in our memory.

I had a redneck cat once named Bocephus, he was a fighter and I was the only one that could pick him up, I'd sit him on my chest and he loved to play with the bill of my ballcap. He was SMART too! He knew about 20 words, could distinguish his toys by their names. He would let the GF walk him on a leash. I let the GF keep him when we parted, he loved her b/c she was sick with COPD and I think he knew her time was short so he was a great comfort to her. She passed and he went to a friend, that was 15yrs ago, I am sure he is gone by now but I think of him often and I wonder what became of him.

jdfoxinc
02-15-2022, 11:04 AM
It's been 18 months +- since my special cat Sox had to be euthanized. I still miss her. 13.5 years wasn't long enough.

rockrat
02-15-2022, 11:15 AM
square butte---she will probably be waiting, but really waiting to see if I have a can of vienna sausages in my hand. She really liked them more than catnip, and she loved catnip!! If I was sitting, eating some, she would come over and snatch one off the fork I was using.

CastingFool
02-15-2022, 01:24 PM
Losing a loved pet is always hard. We had a big tomcat that had cancer. When it was his time to go, the vet asked me if I wanted to hold him, when he administered the injection. I declined cuz I knew I could not bear watching him go away, into lalaland. Then I broke down and cried like a baby when they took him away. Boy, I need to go hug our new kitten.

Isaac
02-15-2022, 01:37 PM
Dang! One of the hardest things to endure is losing a pet. Very sorry for your loss.

MaryB
02-15-2022, 01:49 PM
They take a piece of our hearts with them, to make sure they know us when we pass and join them

contender1
02-15-2022, 02:01 PM
I was pondering things the other day,, thinking on how we haven't had a cat story lately. I was thinking of the 3-legged "Mittens" in Johnson City Tn,, and the others that have been mentioned here.

Then I see this.

I too feel your loss. You have our condolences. Cats ARE special.

We love our cats here. We lost one last July,, and she was truly a sweet cat. At 17+ she was an angel. My wife was heartbroken. So, after a bit,, she began to look for another "baby" for her. We have 3 others,, but (2) of them are mostly mine. the 3rd,, is anybody's. So,, in September,, I was told; "I want a kitten." Well, I mentioned that it should be a male, and we'd need to check it's personality prior to adopting it. On my wife's B-Day,, we brought home an 8 wk old Tuxedo little boy.
He has proven to be a truly fun, loving and very adorable cat for us. We've had him "fixed" and he is truly been a blessing to add to the empty spot of losing our other cat.

So,, with that,, allow yourself the grief of loss. But maybe,, just maybe,, out there is another fluffy little kitten that needs a good home. Let it find you.

MaryB
02-15-2022, 02:09 PM
Tuxedo kitties are special, very much lovers who need to be with their human all the time. Oreo was ALWAYS in whatever room I was in, in my lap at times but he never learned to keep his claws to himself so that was limited. Slept curled up against my back at night after some petting and face washing. He made it to 23 years old so was a very old kitty!

Gator 45/70
02-15-2022, 02:16 PM
Sorry about the pet, It's never easy loosing part of the fur family.

Electrod47
02-15-2022, 02:34 PM
sorry to hear that.
It's hard to fathom how close they become to us.

amen

Eddie Southgate
02-15-2022, 02:39 PM
Sorry for your loss. My cat Waldo has been with the vet since Saturday , not sure if he will get to come home or not . He was a feral cat that lived on my car port for two years before he decided I was good people and adopted me about six months ago . Before that he would have nothing to do with anybody . He decided to come to the porch one day to eat with my other two cats and when I reached to pet him he bit me twice and dug his claws in , did the wife the same way two days later . The next time he allowed me to pet him and a few days later he got up in my lap unprompted. My wife said he was a demon but he had changed her mind within a week . He is a sweet heart and is the only cat I ever lived with that shakes hands.

He came home Friday night sometime and I found him in my rocker on the porch at 1 am breathing hard and his sides were heaving . I carried him to my vet and the x ray showed that his guts were in his chest cavity and the cavity full of fluid so that he could barely breath . Wyatt said he thinks he had been run over but that it's possible that someone had stomped him . He is also missing 1/2 of one of his front teeth . We decided to give him till Monday to see if he could get any better . Monday he was better but still having trouble so is still with Wyatt . He says we should know if he will make it in a few days . I think the people down the road stomped him but have no way to prove it. I don't see how a car could run over him and not break some bones on top of the damage that has been done . If I knew someone did that to him I would do the same to them . Accidents happen but I don't think this was an accident . He watches traffic and waits to cross and walks against traffic like I taught my kids when they were little and goes down the creek bank if a car comes.

Adopt you another friend , nobody should be without a good cat .

AZ Pete
02-15-2022, 02:54 PM
sorry for your loss. Hope you find one to take her place, there are a lot of cats and kittens out there that deserve a good home.

Beagle333
02-15-2022, 03:12 PM
So sorry for your loss. My two just turned 14 yesterday and I hope they make 20 or better, because I'd miss them terribly.

Walks
02-15-2022, 03:42 PM
Sorry for your loss.

They get inside your heart quickly and deeply. And never quite leave. And there is always room for another.

gwpercle
02-15-2022, 07:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss and I wish I had something to ease the pain .
Just remember the good times . He had a good life and even though some cats don't show it ...I'm sure he appreciated maybe even loved you for taking care of him .
When I was little my Mom told me that when we go to heaven all our beloved pets will be there waiting for us ... I honestly believe that ...
Gary

JWFilips
02-15-2022, 07:55 PM
Very Sorry to hear!
I love cats We have 3 inside Kitties and I have taken care of near 20 Homeless Kitties in my yard for more than 10 years.
All are cuddly & not what folks call feral I have 4 acres of land so the stay put!

Outpost75
02-15-2022, 10:33 PM
Our current two are shelter rescues. Strange to say, but i am certain that both made peace with cat ghosts of former fur kids, bringing former cat's favorite toys to me to toss and let them chase. Sleep on former fur kid's blanket. They know.

BJK
02-20-2022, 06:50 PM
Losing a good friend is always difficult. I'm so sorry for your loss.

bensonwe
02-20-2022, 06:53 PM
Sorry for your loss.

gc45
02-20-2022, 07:10 PM
Sorry for your loss, maybe get another? I certianly know your grief and sorrow. Always had large dogs around the farm here, cried after each one when they left us. Now we have a very small dog my Wife wanted, one not of my choosing and for no reason other than it's size. He quickly became my best friend and has been for 10 yrs; going to be very hard for me when he too goes to dog heaven. I hope the Wife stops getting animals as I just can't take loosing them, she on the other hand takes it just fine saying, "she will get another".

Murphy
02-20-2022, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hear of the loss of your cat. Owning a cat vs owning a dog is what it is, two totally different animals. That doesn't mean we don't form a special bond with them, and typically they pick only one of the family as their favorite human. Everyone else is a servant.

Again, sorry to hear of your loss.

Murphy

MaryB
02-21-2022, 01:34 PM
I had deep bonds with 2 cats, Tigger and Oreo. I got Tigger when he was just a tiny little fluff ball(how he got his nickname Fuzz Fuzz) and he was a constant companion. Either on the back of my chair, in my lap, or in the cat bed behind me at my desk. He slept curled up against my chest at night. And he was like a dog, met me at the door, played fetch, even defended me from a dude who pushed me after he crashed a party and I told him to leave. I had friends over for a BBQ, one of them Tigger didn't really like... Tigger jumped up on top of the right stereo speaker that is in a corner next th ethe door to the kitchen. He looked around, changed position a dozen times... we were watching and I pointed but made the shh motion... we were trying not to laugh as the person he hated walked by him 4 times. Fifth time he went into the kitchen Tigger wound up and slapped him upside the head. Rocked his head forward hard. No claws, he knew better. We were all laughing our butts off because we sa it oming and he was oblivious as he was getting snacks. Tigger was a character! The night he died he fought to get to the foot of the bed, I heard him and picked him up and he died in my arms.

Oreo died in the kitty bed behind me, after Tigger died Oreo moved into his spot, always with me, he HAD to be in whatever room I was in. He wasn't a lap kitty but he was laying on my feet at my desk, or next to my chair where I could reach down and do an ear scritch.. he was a special kitty who loved everybody but I was his human.

Oliver I don't have that deep bond, he is to independent... and afraid of everyone. He was abused before I got him so it doesn't take much and he goes and hides or runs away. Especially if I walk into a room, he is deathly afraid of feet. When he was found 3 of the town delinquents were kicking him around the gas station parking lot. 3 kids got it from mom and dad plus the judge made them do 500 hours of service at local pet rescues, cop who rescued Oliver said he was just shivering and meowing in fear. He had to cover him with a blanket to pick him up and get him to the pet rescue/vet. He has his moments of snugging in bed, is a little less afraid of e walking by, but anyone comes in the door and he is out of here. He heads upstairs to his hiding spot. I keep working with him, lots of love and attention when he wants it. He is slowly improving but I don't think I will ever have that deep bond with him.

pworley1
02-21-2022, 03:44 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Shawlerbrook
02-21-2022, 03:49 PM
Our furry friends give us much joy for too short a time. Condolences.

rockrat
02-21-2022, 04:18 PM
Maybe later in the year, will look for another one or two, probably two, so they will have company. Might add a puppy to the mix later, so the kitties can get use to being around a dog, like my other cats were.
Like MaryB's kitten, I got her as a tiny ball of fur and I think she adopted me as her new "mom". She loved to either be picked up or sit in my lap and liked having her head covered while I scratched her. In the afternoon, I still think "its time to feed her" when I go in the mud room.
Thank for all the support. They do kind of work their way into your life