PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 39A

ddeaton
01-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Last gun show I spotted an older 39A carbine under glass with a bunch of knives. It still had a factory sticker on the forearm "genuine walnut". I asked to look at it, it was brand new, never fired. He wanted over $600 for it. I didnt buy it, but I have been kicking myself since. I am hoping he will still have it at the next show. I also passed up a Marlin Cowboy in 38/55 cause I wasnt up on the caliber. I found out you all like that caliber after I read a little. I did pick up a Marlin Cowboy, older model without safety or checkering for $425. So I dont feel so bad.

fecmech
01-19-2009, 11:20 PM
A friend just bought a new one a couple months back for $520. OTD.

August
01-20-2009, 11:52 AM
If it's a carbine, are you sure it wasn't a 39M. In other words, did it have a straight stock or a pistol grip. Was it pre-safety? 39M models are rare and very desirable. Model 39 Marlins are not cheap. Finding a good one at a good price can take a lot of looking. If that one spoke to you, probably ought to get into a serious conversation with the owner about just how dear it is to him.

ddeaton
01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
It was a pre safety 39a carbine. I have a 50's vintage one in good shape. 39a is stamped on the barrel. I didnt get the serial number from his, so I cant research the date. I am going to talk to him at the next show if he still has it.

Warhawk
01-22-2009, 12:29 AM
I have a pre safety Golden 39A that I could be persuaded to sell. I have one that was my fathers, and bought this one to shoot. But I've realized there is no reason not to continue to shoot and enjoy dad's gun. He would have.