PDA

View Full Version : linotype Question

DCB
02-13-2022, 08:03 PM
i picked up 20lb. of linotype at the gun show and was wondering what is the best temp range to melt it down? What size ingots work best for most applications?
Thanks

JimB..
02-13-2022, 08:30 PM
I use the alloy calculator to figure out what I need to mix to get the alloy I want, then make a big pot of it.

Mitch
02-13-2022, 09:06 PM
I do the same mixing large batches of alloy useing the alloy calculator here.I use mostly ingots from my home made angle iron 2x2 angle. i do still use to muffin ingots. Both fit in 20lb casting pots.

Rickf1985
02-13-2022, 09:13 PM
Best temp to melt it at is wherever it melts. That might sound a bit smart *** but really it isn't. Linotype usually melts pretty low, around 500 degrees but I set me PID for 600-650. it may take a while for the ingots to solidify but they will. You want the lead to be hot enough to flux it and below 650 is not really ideal for fluxing.

DCB
02-13-2022, 10:03 PM
Thanks , Jim I was wondering about that. I will be making small batches till I figure out what I like or works I have been using the flux from Frankford arsenal. From what I see it works pretty good.
Ill use 650 then flux see how it looks.
I just found that calculator and started figuring out how to use it. Great tool...
Thanks again

NyFirefighter357
02-13-2022, 10:11 PM
i picked up 20lb. of linotype at the gun show and was wondering what is the best temp range to melt it down? What size ingots work best for most applications?
Thanks

Why melt it until you need it. Your not going to need much unless your making large batch alloy. I use bank sinker molds for solder. tin type ect, I pour full sized or with them open to get a variety of different weights. I then stamp them to mark the alloy.
https://i.imgur.com/SAbkhJ3.jpg