PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas pro has lost there mind

1Hawkeye
02-13-2022, 07:17 PM
Just was on cabelas website not only are they double retail price on starline brass they are requiring 22.00 hazmat in addition to regular shipping for brass purchases. Now I full understand somethings were hard to get but stuff like this dosen't help much now that material is starting to flow.:evil:

chambers
02-13-2022, 08:16 PM
Had previously purchased a lot through cabelas before purchased, now not so much. No more deals

Finster101
02-13-2022, 08:18 PM
Hazmat on brass? I recently stopped in to the local Bass Pro most likely for the last time ever.

Winger Ed.
02-13-2022, 08:19 PM
The 'Suspender boys" are now in upper management.

MUSTANG
02-13-2022, 09:10 PM
The YARVARD MBA's (Yarvard is the Harvard, Yale, and other Poison Ivy League universities) see business as purchasing and controlling corporations, paying the upper echelon's including themselves out of orbit salaries and stock compensation diluting the Stockholders shares, pumping up the stock by "Creative Financing", then when the musical chairs are about to stop - they do a Fire Sale or creative Bankruptcy as they bail with their gains.

Mal Paso
02-13-2022, 10:05 PM
It hasn't been Cabela's for years now. I hate Bass

If they do fold some of those stores could be 1-200 Yard Indoor Ranges.

panhed65
02-13-2022, 10:19 PM
cabelas has been mostly worthless since they were overtaken by bass pro. used to go to the Hamburg pa store a few times a year. have not been there in more than a year. last time bought a flannel shirt, nearly 30.00, can buy the same thing at wally world for 7.00. all junk
Barry

sniper
02-13-2022, 11:40 PM
I have a gift card from there. They never have what I want/need, as well as having worse customer service than before.

poppy42
02-14-2022, 12:51 AM
I was in bass pro a couple weeks back. Spp $28.00 per 100! That’s right per 100! I asked the guy behind the counter if I got a kiss with them. He looked at me funny, I guess he didn’t know what I meant! I laughed and walked out.

1Hawkeye
02-14-2022, 09:43 AM
I have a gift card from there. They never have what I want/need, as well as having worse customer service than before.
Know the feeling I've got 250 in points and can't find anything to burn them off on so I can shred the card.

trebor44
02-14-2022, 09:48 AM
Cabelas is the WalMart of the sports world. Prices and selection are very deceiving!

41magjh
02-14-2022, 12:53 PM
Cabelas went to hell in a hand basket when they sold out that’s my opinion

osage
02-14-2022, 01:08 PM
They definitely went downhill after going publicly traded and a shark screwed up their credit card. It got worse after that. It used to be a nice road trip from Omaha to Kearney store before turkey and deer seasons. Kearney was the only store at that time.
I'm planning on using my points and gift card up this spring.

1eyedjack
02-14-2022, 02:13 PM
Last time in BPS ( original Springfield,MO store) was shocked had lots of ammo but $700. per K on .223 bulk FMJ & $129. per thousand srp just before Christmas ???! Saw several firearm transactions going on but again should have been an official kisser person at the checkout counter but must have been their day off...

1Hawkeye
02-14-2022, 03:36 PM
Don't get me started on bass pro. The last time I was in there Ashland store the jerk behind the counter wouldn't flip over the price tag on a antique savage rifle so I could read it because I was not logged into "THE SYSTEM". Yea what a joke the system just another way they can delay or eliminate the need for customer service. These guys are definitely earning there 8.25 an hour.

Shuz
02-14-2022, 06:53 PM
I was in the Post Falls Cabelas on Friday and the had no primers or powders and only 1 revolver, but oh the semiautomatic pistols!
Evan the exotic Gun Library had basically only shotguns available;no bolt actions, lever actions or revolvers!

Shawlerbrook
02-14-2022, 07:03 PM
Unfortunately have to agree. They started going downhill before the Bass Pro takeover and that only sped up the decline.

Gofaaast
02-14-2022, 10:23 PM
When the Cabela brothers started stepping away from day to day operations the decline began. Most folks don’t realize how most of the stores are/were financed or they would patronize them much less. With less competition in the the shooting sports world quality has declined and prices have increased. Through my eyes were just 15-20 years behind and the increases are going to be much higher especially when considering what inflation is going to do.

KMac
02-14-2022, 11:47 PM
I still shop at Cabelas. I live 5 minutes away from one. Just bought a brick of Federal Large Rifle Magnum primers there last week for $85. Which is higher than they should be but way cheaper than I can find them online after I pay shipping and hazmat. In fact I haven't seen any for a long time anywhere else so I grabbed them. Their prices are all over the place. Some outright ridiculous, but some that are decent and sometimes downright cheap. I only buy stuff from them that is priced right and ignore the rest.

imashooter2
02-15-2022, 12:05 AM
I bought 2K SRP at $65 per last October in the Christiana Delaware store. Not cheap, but well below the Gun Broker extortionists. Cabela’s is like any shop. Buy what you are willing to pay for and walk away from everything else.

MT Gianni
02-16-2022, 02:42 PM
On another board I visit someone talked of walking into Cabelas last week and buying a 1955 era Model 24 S&W for $650 in wonderful shape. Basically a $1200 + gun in average shape. Safe to say they don't always have a clue.

T-Bird
02-17-2022, 08:15 PM
This hurts my heart. I've got some shirts, boots with Cabela's label on them that I've had for 15-20 yrs that are top quality. Not anymore I guess.:cry:

Topwater
02-23-2022, 10:56 AM
I remember reading my Grandpa Jim’s Cabela’s catalogs in the 1970s. Placed my first order in 1982.

Was at the grand opening of the first Cabela’s store in MN, and went there about monthly, for many years.

I used to frequent the Cabela’s “Bargain Cave,” and found wonderful deals on all kinds of items. Had to know what you were buying. Some returns that should have just been pitched would be 10% off, while next item would be LNIB, and 40% off. Go figure!

The Owatonna, MN Bargain Cave always had a nice selection of traditional muzzleloaders… but I was complacent, because they “always” had them. About the time I decided to act, the supply dried up.

I realize that me buying heavily discounted goods in the Bargain Cave isn’t going to keep the lights on in their ludicrous over the top retail stores, but the Bargain Cave was the bait that would get me in the store regularly. “Just to see” what they had, you understand... I would then typically find lots of other stuff I “needed” while I was there…

Things went downhill in stages, for me:
-Cabela’s credit card stopped giving “$150 off $500” coupons, which were once routine
-Bargain Cave went to only new items, no returns or damaged goods… and took good prices with them
-Bargain Cave was eliminated altogether
-after BPS buyout, Big & Tall clothing selection went WAY down… which I predicted (BPS B&T sucks)

Was just in Cabela’s last week, first time in a couple of years. Two flies purchased, for a total of $0.54 (incl. sales tax!). Left disappointed in nearly every department that I visited. The good news: if you’re looking for cheesy Chinese made knick-knacks, or crappy “outdoorsy” decor, they’ve got you covered!

It was good here for about 20 years… and I’m sad to see the decline.

I’ll go back, in another couple of years, to see if anything has changed.

I doubt it will have improved. :-(

waksupi
02-23-2022, 02:47 PM
When I go to all the sporting goods stores in town, I just skip Cabela's.

MUSTANG
02-23-2022, 02:56 PM
Nothing enticing me to Cabella's these days. NO Savage 12FV's on special sales. NO Powders in Store. NO Primers in store for more than 20 months.

In other words NO - NO - NO.

Texas by God
02-24-2022, 10:23 AM
Usually someone will give a Cabela's gift card to me at Christmas. I asked my wife to tell anyone that asks to get Academy gift cards instead. Like others have said, they used to be a neat place to go and buy things. Now they are just a neat place to go to look at live fish and stuffed animals. This year I just went online and got bullets for the gift card; much better than trekking to the FW/Alliance store.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Lex
02-25-2022, 02:40 AM
I'm glad sportsman's didn't get ruined by bass pro like cabalas did.

Shopdog
02-25-2022, 06:13 AM
I've got some ancient Trebark camo from Cabelas. And a back pack. Pretty durn nice stuff way back then. But I hear ya on the walmart'ness of them now.

pworley1
02-25-2022, 07:31 AM
I haven't bought from them in years.

Travisbishop
03-05-2022, 04:05 AM
Exactly. I started buying from Cabela's in 1973 after I ordered a pair of their catalogs. One hunting, the other fishing. I was a regular customer for the next 30 years or so. Then the gear went hi tech trash. They started changing in the 90's alongside Eddie Bauer and LL Bean. Gander Mountain was an all time favorite. They hung in there to the bitter end. I figure I've got all the gear I need for whatever years I got left, so, I cut them all loose. Walmart? Haven't set foot in one for about 30 years. I do my shopping at locally owned mom and pop stores.Pay a couple extra bucks, but to me, it's worth it.

jonp
03-05-2022, 08:01 AM
I was just there and bought 4 of these on sale for about $17 each https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redhead-canvas-long-sleeve-shirt-for-men. Pretty nice, the lighter weight blend for summer one I bought 1 of but I like the heavier cotton ones. Used my Speedway points for a gift card and got them for free. Still have a few hundred dollars in points and am dickering between a pair of boots or a Ruger Wrangler.

The sad thing was the used gun cave. Last time I was there it was full and interesting. This time it was almost empty. I bet there were not 10 guns in the entire thing.

warren5421
03-05-2022, 10:06 AM
Is Midway in the same boat. Have not ordered from them or Cabelas in years. We have a store called Sportsman's Wearhouse in Greenwood, Indiana that has beat both for most things and it is local. No shipping charges.

Idaho45guy
03-05-2022, 04:09 PM
Is Midway in the same boat. Have not ordered from them or Cabelas in years. We have a store called Sportsman's Wearhouse in Greenwood, Indiana that has beat both for most things and it is local. No shipping charges.

Sportsman's Warehouse is not local...

https://stores.sportsmans.com/sportsmans-warehouse/us

They have 126 stores in 27 states. They were my favorite store with the nearest one 45 miles from me.

They were supposedly bought out by Bass Pro Shops in December of 2020, which is what I thought explained the lack of supplies and increased prices.

However, I went online to verify and happily discovered that the acquisition fell through.

https://angling-international.com/2021/12/03/sportsmans-warehouse-merger-with-bass-pro-shops-collapses/

But, I did just drive 3100 miles and stopped in many local gun shops and several Sportsman Warehouse stores. Not a single SW had any primers, powder, or the bullets I was looking for.

However, many smaller shops had primers, albeit at horrible prices...

MarkW
03-05-2022, 04:25 PM
Funny as we were just talking about this at work last week, to a man all us older guys (looks like I'm now in that group too) talked about how Cabelas used to be just a slightly lower Abercrombie & Fitch back in the day, whereas now they are just an outdoorsey walmart with similar quality. Topic got brought up because we got cabelas gift cards for christmas, and there was nothing there anyone really wanted to buy. I do have to say the only department that had reasonable stuff was the cooking and grilling department so I got a $25 stainless deep fryer strainer ladle, but when was the last time you got a gift card for an outdoor store where you had to spend 45 minutes finding something you wouldn't regret purchasing with a christmas gift card?

jonp
03-06-2022, 07:45 AM
Funny as we were just talking about this at work last week, to a man all us older guys (looks like I'm now in that group too) talked about how Cabelas used to be just a slightly lower Abercrombie & Fitch back in the day, whereas now they are just an outdoorsey walmart with similar quality. Topic got brought up because we got cabelas gift cards for christmas, and there was nothing there anyone really wanted to buy. I do have to say the only department that had reasonable stuff was the cooking and grilling department so I got a $25 stainless deep fryer strainer ladle, but when was the last time you got a gift card for an outdoor store where you had to spend 45 minutes finding something you wouldn't regret purchasing with a christmas gift card?

We bought a sausage maker and a vacum packer. Both seem to be holding up fine but they are not any better than you could get elsewhere.

They seem to have gone from an outdoors store to a Volvo driving soccer mom and dad with that $80,000 3/4 ton diesel pickup that will never have anything in the bed but still both like to dress as if they are on the way to a Yukon sheep hunt or a Mt Everest approach climb

bangerjim
03-06-2022, 01:10 PM
They no longer exist to me.

Haven't been a Cabella or Bass Pro or Sportsmans Warehouse (all now the same owner) in over 5 years. Stupid prices (checked on-line) and no stock. I have friends that still go there for ammo (they haven't discovered hand re-loading yet!) and they are even ticked off at the lack of stuff and the prices.

Idaho45guy
03-06-2022, 02:09 PM
They no longer exist to me.

Haven't been a Cabella or Bass Pro or Sportsmans Warehouse (all now the same owner) in over 5 years.

They were supposedly bought out by Bass Pro Shops in December of 2020, which is what I thought explained the lack of supplies and increased prices.

However, I went online to verify and happily discovered that the acquisition fell through.

https://angling-international.com/20...ops-collapses/

jim 44-40
03-06-2022, 02:20 PM
I'm not paying 30 bucks for a tee shirt!

Tripplebeards
03-08-2022, 10:44 PM
I called yesterday and asked them if they still price matched. I found a magpul MOE rifle stock for $52 plus $5.95 to ship on armsplus I believe the place was called. The sales operator told me not for that particular store but gave me a $10 one time promo code off the $69.99 price. They also had free shipping and i applied my $7 I had banked in club points so I paid $55 shipped. They never have any powder or primers in stock at the store closest to me since Bass Pro bought them out. They went down hill on the buy out imo. I’ve been a credit card member for 22 years with Cabelas. Over the years I have gotten a 64 gun safe, a POF P415, and tons of other rifles and pistols for free using their card…and I haven’t paid one cent of interest as I pay the card balance completely off every month. I’m not a big fan of their double retail prices but at least up until the pandemic they were the only place close to me that would always have what I wanted in stock.

Greg S
03-09-2022, 01:34 AM
Been in Cabelas 2-3 times since Bass Pro took over and haven't bought a thing. That and they started stocking the BP line of clothing too that is a wear once, wash, shrink and throw away.