PDA

View Full Version : 9mm pistol

giz189
02-13-2022, 06:48 PM
If you were going to buy a new 9mm pistol today, and didn't want to pay over 800 to 1000 dollars, looking for accuracy and reliability. Prefer wood and metal, but would consider synthetics. What would you get? TIA

G W Wade
02-13-2022, 07:09 PM
Interesting. I went on a 9mm kick recently. Had a Browning HiPower for 30 years but decided I needed a Glock 19 and a Ruger PC9. Not really a Glock fan but they are reliable. Got a deal on a Canik TP9 Combat Elite that I do like after sending the barrel to Doug Guy for throating . Now I decided after 50 yrs of 1911, bought a Springfeild Armory Range Officer in 9mm. Was going to buy a SA Ronin which is where all this was going, but RO was adjustable sight. Believe the Ronin would be a solid gun if you like 1911 platform GW

Alstep
02-13-2022, 08:02 PM
CZ75B. Solid all steel gun. Double action. Doug Guy did his work on the barrel. Chambers everything and never had a malfunction. Good shooter too.

Winger Ed.
02-13-2022, 08:11 PM
I'm a big Browning High Power guy.
2nd choice would be a full size Springfield Armory.

I'm also big on getting what I want instead of make my selection fit the budget of whatever 'extra' money I had at the time.
Even if I have to wait, it's OK. I've never found myself thinking, "I should have waited and bought _________".

ACC
02-13-2022, 08:34 PM
Does he have a web site or phone number?

ACC

Ed_Shot
02-13-2022, 08:52 PM
My CZ75B is outstanding. Also really like the Sig P320.

Bigslug
02-13-2022, 11:42 PM
Don't give a rip for aesthetics when discussing a tool who's primary requirement is that it WORK, so, Gen 5 Glock:

They don't rust.

They run a LONG time before you can typically expect anything to break.

You can tear them ALL the way down with no special tools.

There is NO fitting of replacement parts required - you drop them in and roll.

There are no roll pins - which you're supposed to replace with new if you ever take them out - holding them together.

We've got a couple threads on the topic going - I've also confirmed that they can run on cast just fine once you sort out some of the finer points of loading 9mm.

david s
02-13-2022, 11:59 PM
Another vote for the CZ 75/85 pistols. If you're a lefty the 75 series don't normally come with a left-handed safety paddle. You also don't just add a left-handed safety to the CZ pistols. So lefties pick your 75 series pistols carefully. That said they are great pistols. Single (cocked and locked) or double action and quite a few different variations on the safety set up. 16 plus one capacity and compact versions if that's what you want. The stainless pistol show is a standard 75B and the black one is the model 85 (preB).

https://i.postimg.cc/DzkPzjM1/IMG-1478-2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Kosh75287
02-14-2022, 12:27 AM
BHP or a well-worked clone is difficult to beat(if you get one with a magazine disconnect, REMOVE IT!). A CZ-75 would be its only likely competition. I haven't shot a CZ P10 yet, but I'd look seriously at one, if I didn't already own the aforementioned two.
If you purchase either of the first 2 I mentioned, use whatever is left of the $1000 you've allotted for their purchase on a trip to Cylinder & Slide (BHP) or Cajun Gun works (CZ75) for trigger and feedway work.

Kosh75287
02-14-2022, 03:32 AM
Don't give a rip for aesthetics when discussing a tool who's primary requirement is that it WORKS, so, Gen 5 Glock:
They don't rust. They run a LONG time before you can typically expect anything to break.
You can tear them ALL the way down with no special tools. There is NO fitting of replacement parts required - you drop them in and roll.
There are no roll pins - which you're supposed to replace with new if you ever take them out - holding them together.
We've got a couple threads on the topic going - I've also confirmed that they can run on cast just fine once you sort out some of the finer points of loading 9mm.

Any of the Glock 9mms are fine if one intends to abuse and neglect their personal defensive arm. One of the FIRST steps in developing skill at arms is understanding how and BOTHERING TO clean and maintain their personal defensive arm.
The BHP and CZ75 have been digesting all manner of ammunition, jacketed and cast, for years before the advent of the Glock. Said ammunition was in many cases likely assembled by shooters who understood the rudiments of reloading but had yet to learn any "finer points" of the process.
There is virtue in the Condition 1 ("cocked and locked") carry option, not merely from a safety standpoint, but from a skill consideration, also. A safety disengaged by one digit enables a light, crisp trigger squeeze by the other, which facilitates first-shot hits. Mounting a "safety" for an entire pistol on its trigger necessitates an overly long take-up and a very mushy let-off, to KEEP the pistol safe. The whole arrangement is analogous to writing the combination to a vault. just above its dial, with attendant potential for disaster.
Before making a final decision, you should shoot a Glock and see if you like it. Above all, you should gravitate to the pistol with which you shoot best. I'd bet serious $$ that it will not be the Glock.

armoredman
02-14-2022, 06:23 AM
For a steel frame gun, CZ 75 Compact. Alloy frame, CZ 75 PCR, which I consider the best metal hammer fired CCW pistol ever made. Personal opinion, of course. But if I was going to buy a new 9mm, I would need to see what I was going to use it for. CCW, probably another CZ P-10S, fantastic little poly striker fired pistol. Just to have and shoot at the range? The new Springfield HiPower clone. Or a CZ SP-01 or TS.

fastdadio
02-14-2022, 07:03 AM
I recently picked up a used police trade in S&W mod 519. It came with 3 -15 rd mags, has Trijicon night sights and is in like new condition. $450.00, from Guns.com. I wasn't really even in the hunt for a wonder nine at the time, but thought it was a fair price considering the current market, where plastic tupperguns with similar features are going for $600+. I bought a case of Tula steel case 9mm, (can't get much worse), and I am in the middle of giving it a torture test. I plan on firing the entire case of 1000 rounds without cleaning it, just to see what happens and how far it will go. I'm at about 300 rd mark with no malfunctions so far. Wish me luck...
https://www.guns.com/search?keyword=s%26w%20519&product.category=HANDGUNS&condition=used

ioon44
02-14-2022, 12:09 PM
The next 9 mm pistol I will be buying would be a Walther 5" PDP.

charlie b
02-14-2022, 02:07 PM
Whatever fits your hand and is reliable. Size is determined by your needs. CCW you go small and light. Range shooting is compact or full size (or even long slide tgt). Field use is what weight you want to carry and how it fits with your other gear. For me the compact ones fill that role (Colt light commander most of the time, but, it is a .45). You may want higher capacity or a single stack. Lots of choices.

When I bought mine (HK VP9) it was almost a toss up between it, the Springfield, SIG and Walther (compact, not sub). The newer Glocks may feel better if the different grips panels work for you. I'd have a Glock if it didn't feel like a 1x2 in my hands.

I would say, if a Glock fits you then buy it. One of these days I may force myself to use one for a while to get used to it.

Handloader109
02-14-2022, 06:00 PM
Go to a range and shoot a glock or two before you buy. I don't like the feel. I've a Walther PPQ m2 that works well also. Ten times better trigger than any glock and it has integral safety in trigger. I've a new S&W Shield EZ in 9mm that I like, but it's only 8 +1 rounds. No trigger actual integral trigger safety, but one is inside, but mine has external safety which I do like. There is a TON of choices out there in the below $1000 range. Go to a range that rents and rent anything that they have that interests you to see how it handles in Your hands.

Texas by God
02-14-2022, 06:11 PM
If you want a larger easy to shoot 9mm, don't overlook the Turkish Canik. With a red dot sight, this one makes me look good. Not mine, but Cuz lets me shoot it.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220214/50cab6f5377a4d1451d9796f7e1b2f43.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Larry Gibson
02-14-2022, 06:26 PM
I believe someone mentioned the CZ75.......:awesome:

giz189
02-14-2022, 07:40 PM
I like the 1911 platform.

sierra1911
02-14-2022, 08:30 PM
Springfield Armory Ronin 5", but then I'm a little prejudiced toward 1911s!

FergusonTO35
02-14-2022, 08:44 PM
I would give the new Springfield SA-35 a hard look for sure. If you like DA/SA, Sig p-226 all the way!

G W Wade
02-14-2022, 08:53 PM
He can be found here or on Facebook. I joined this site to get his number cause I refuse to do Face Book GW

Jedman
02-14-2022, 08:56 PM
Considering the things you mentioned and add future appreciation I would buy a Belgium Browning Hi Power.

Jedman

oldhenry
02-14-2022, 08:58 PM
I have a Ruger 1911 Officer Model in 9mm. It's my church gun: easy to conceal & light. It shoots better than I do. I've been considering another 9mm SR1911 in the LW Commander (more grip for my pinky). Recently my grandson-in-law acquired a SA Range Officer in 9mm & I'm impressed with the size, balance, trigger and sights. I could be happy with either.

My son has a Canik & loves it. If I had to have a plastic gun, it'd be a Canik.

I'm old & like steel & walnut guns.

littlejack
02-14-2022, 09:45 PM
You would be wise to check out the videos and reviews of the SAR USA firearms. Sarmilaz has been making firearms for 140 years. They are one of main firearms manufacturers for the military and law enforcement in Europe. The Sarsilmaz manufacturing facility is in Turkey.
There reputation for top quality reasonably priced firearms is very well known. I purchased a Sar 9 this last summer. It was very well built, tight tolerances, great machining, and shot everything I fed it with no failure to feed or fire. Accuracy was on very good at self defense ranges. This was my first ownership of a "Stryker" fired pistol. I didn't like that system. I traded it in on a SAR USA 2000. This is a CZ75 clone. Again, a fine firearm. Forged steel frame and slide, great machining, tight tolerances and hammer fired. It is sa/da and can be carried cocked and locked. Very nice pistol. They have several models to choose from.

Texas by God
02-14-2022, 09:50 PM
Dont forget the Beretta 92.

AZ Pete
02-14-2022, 09:56 PM
SIG 226, 228, 229, 225, 320, M-17, M-18. pick what fits your hand and style. Nothing wrong with Beretta 92 other than it is big, Walthers are great too. All of the above will digest what ever you feed the. in 9x19.

calm seas
02-14-2022, 10:54 PM
What's the primary purpose? My wife's Ruger EC9 is much easier to CC than my Kimber Polymer Custom.

giz189
02-14-2022, 11:55 PM
What's the primary purpose? My wife's Ruger EC9 is much easier to CC than my Kimber Polymer Custom.
Got a couple of cc pistols. Just want a full size 9mm with hi cap mags to mess around in the pig woods with. I'm still gonna carry my 41 mag...but I might run into a whole herd of piglets.....
I

tazman
02-15-2022, 12:08 AM
I have a Springfield armory XDm target model with the 5.25 inch barrel. It is striker fired but it just works. Quite accurate.
Standard mag capacity is 19 rounds. This should account for a lot of piglets.
Accurate with cast boolits. Care must be taken during reloading and sizing because the chamber is tight. It is a match chamber after all.
After finding the best sizing for my particular pistol, It has not failed to feed or fire in hundreds of rounds.
Factory trigger is 5.5 lbs. I put a drop in PRP trigger in mine. This took it to 3.5 lbs. and made it very nice to shoot.
This pistol comes in a couple of different barrel lengths and sight setups so you can choose for your intended use.

Lex
02-15-2022, 01:20 AM
Cz 75 b sig 320 and one of the new high power clone

megasupermagnum
02-15-2022, 01:42 AM
I'm not a 9mm fan at all, but the new Springfield SA-35 has really caught my eye. If not that, a Sig P226 would be high on my list. It is so hard to keep up on prices anymore though.

Thundarstick
02-15-2022, 07:41 AM
My pick is the Beretta 92g ltt.

Sig
02-15-2022, 08:09 AM
CZ75 & P226 are my choices.

nueces5
02-15-2022, 08:43 AM
Hello, it is important to know what you want the gun for.
I have a Glock 17, as a defense weapon, next to my bed.
A Tanfoglio Stock 2 that I recently bought for IPSC.
A Steyr M9 for CC (although it is prohibited in my country, and they do not give permission to almost anyone)
And a Browning Hi Power, just because I like it. That only comes out of the safe for a few shots and cleaning.
I don't know if I need a gun for everything, maybe I could do everything with the Glock, but it's a good excuse to have many guns! hahaha

02-15-2022, 10:05 AM
I think you just have to hold them, point them, try them for fit, get what feels good and has a solid reputation.

I like the Sig226 as a best all around gun. I use mine as a “bad” reloads disposal. It chambers most anything and manages to fire it accurately. However, I prefer to shoot a 1911 at the target range. The 1911 is no more accurate than the 226, but it is easier to shoot fast and accurately.

Bigslug
02-15-2022, 10:40 AM
Any of the Glock 9mms are fine if one intends to abuse and neglect their personal defensive arm. One of the FIRST steps in developing skill at arms is understanding how and BOTHERING TO clean and maintain their personal defensive arm.
The BHP and CZ75 have been digesting all manner of ammunition, jacketed and cast, for years before the advent of the Glock. Said ammunition was in many cases likely assembled by shooters who understood the rudiments of reloading but had yet to learn any "finer points" of the process.
There is virtue in the Condition 1 ("cocked and locked") carry option, not merely from a safety standpoint, but from a skill consideration, also. A safety disengaged by one digit enables a light, crisp trigger squeeze by the other, which facilitates first-shot hits. Mounting a "safety" for an entire pistol on its trigger necessitates an overly long take-up and a very mushy let-off, to KEEP the pistol safe. The whole arrangement is analogous to writing the combination to a vault. just above its dial, with attendant potential for disaster.
Before making a final decision, you should shoot a Glock and see if you like it. Above all, you should gravitate to the pistol with which you shoot best. I'd bet serious $$ that it will not be the Glock.

OR. . .

you can internalize the basic tenets of double action revolver shooting (utilizing good grip fundamentals and constantly maintaining sight alignment while steadily pressing on the trigger) and come to the conclusion that grip shape and trigger pull really don't matter a great deal. At that point, what the gun "feels" like will cease to trouble you and you can then concern yourself with the mechanisms least likely to let you down over both the short and long term.

I've been on the fence about buying a CZ-75 for maybe 25 years. They feel great. They shoot great. DA lockworks on autos that can self-cock simply leave me cold, being a lot of mechanical crap that doesn't need to be there. Even if you convert it to SAO, it's going to have a lot of spacers, fillers, or disconnects to plug the holes where the DA stuff used to be. Then there's the roll pins. Mr. Browning managed to design a handgun over a century ago that you DON'T have to beat on with a hammer to disassemble. . . then the accountants came along. I may still buy a CZ as a toy, but I'll be painfully aware of those faults.

If steel, accuracy, and ergonomics are what you want, one of the Springfield 1911's with target sights will be your ticket. They give you all of that AND they still pass the serviceability test. Best of all, the design comes from the time when you couldn't send an email and have a C-17 bring you spare parts 3 days later - - it's built so it pretty much won't break, and you can adjust what you have.

Such are the things that matter to me under circumstances that don't call for a rifle. YMMV.

(Some greater clarification on reloading for the 9mm Glocks: Having pin gauged and slugged the chambers and bores of both old polygonal and new "Marksman" barrels, my conclusion is that the world and internet rumors of the differences between a Glock barrel and every other 9mm are generating a lot of hysteria over something that does not exist. The dimensions of the front and rear of the chamber are the same. The bore and groove diameters are the same. The 9mm just happens to be a cartridge with some quirks that pose many people problems when loading cast bullets - which this forum covers in great detail for anyone willing to look. Glock and half the other factories in the world will waggle their fingers at you and say "Don't shoot handloads" because that is something over which there is no industry standard controlling the output.)

Reverend Recoil
02-15-2022, 11:24 AM
CZ 75B again.

AndyC
02-16-2022, 12:41 AM
CZ75 but I've been around them since 1978 as a kid, so I'm admittedly biased.

https://i.imgur.com/QN2Ee9B.jpg

Wooserco
02-16-2022, 05:16 PM
You would be wise to check out the videos and reviews of the SAR USA firearms. Sarmilaz has been making firearms for 140 years. They are one of main firearms manufacturers for the military and law enforcement in Europe. The Sarsilmaz manufacturing facility is in Turkey.
There reputation for top quality reasonably priced firearms is very well known. I purchased a Sar 9 this last summer. It was very well built, tight tolerances, great machining, and shot everything I fed it with no failure to feed or fire. Accuracy was on very good at self defense ranges. This was my first ownership of a "Stryker" fired pistol. I didn't like that system. I traded it in on a SAR USA 2000. This is a CZ75 clone. Again, a fine firearm. Forged steel frame and slide, great machining, tight tolerances and hammer fired. It is sa/da and can be carried cocked and locked. Very nice pistol. They have several models to choose from.

My wife and I both picked up a SAR 9 this past fall (two serial numbers apart). Fantastic firearm! Nothing bad to say about them.

My first semi auto hand gun. I've always been a dead nuts reliability wheel gun fan. This one sold me on the wonder nine.

Not going to be my EDC gun but given the size of the wife's purse (airline carry on bag size) it will be hers.

NuJudge
02-20-2022, 06:22 AM
What do you think you will do with it, what feels good in your hand, what have you shot well in the past, and how much maintenance are you willing to do with it?

For serious use, I want a big magazine. For good accuracy, I want a good trigger even more than top inherent accuracy.

If you have smaller hands, something with a single column mag like a 1911 is probably what you need to look at, although thinner grips can make a difference on some pistols with dual column magazines, and there are versions of some pistols (such as the Vertec Beretta 92) where the grip frame is shaved down to try to appeal to people with smaller hands.

I have big hands, and the Beretta 92 shoots better for me than anything else, especially after I changed out the hammer spring for a lighter one, and got a trigger job. My double action first shot is now under 7 pounds. My Berettas take very little maintenance, even though they are shot a lot.

If you have several types of pistol, I would encourage you to pick pistols for serious use that have similar controls. I am a member of Front Sight in Nevada, and one of the recurring things that are a part of someone shooting themself is the person being used to using a safety that is down/back for safe such as a Beretta 92, for a course switching and using a pistol that is up/forward for safe such as a 1911. The result is their prior training has them holster a loaded, off-safe cocked pistol.

Thumbcocker
02-20-2022, 10:00 AM
CZ75B. Solid all steel gun. Double action. Doug Guy did his work on the barrel. Chambers everything and never had a malfunction. Good shooter too.

+1!

Shepherd2
02-20-2022, 10:14 AM
I'm with the CZ 75 crowd. I have 2 of the CZ75BD decocker models. I went into the LGS years ago to get some primers and spotted the CZ in the case. I asked to see it and based on how well it fit my hand and it's reputation I bought it. That 1st one has between 40-50K rounds thru it and is still going strong.

My second choice would be the Springfield Armory Range Officer. Because of it's size and weight it is extremely pleasant to shoot. It's accuracy is outstanding.

Tracy
02-20-2022, 10:17 AM
Another vote for the CZ75 or a clone. Or, get a $400 (or less) police turn in Glock G22 or G23 and a 9mm conversion barrel. From what I've seen, you can do that for about the same price or less than a Glock that is 9mm from the factory.

elmacgyver0
02-20-2022, 11:20 AM
Police trade-ins are a good option.
I bought Beretta 92S for $299.00 back when the market was flooded with them.
Smith and Wesson 5906 stainless for $400.00
You can get Glock 22 in .40 SW pretty cheap and with an inexpensive conversion barrel shoot 9mm or even .357 Sig.

murf205
02-20-2022, 05:41 PM
Got a couple of cc pistols. Just want a full size 9mm with hi cap mags to mess around in the pig woods with. I'm still gonna carry my 41 mag...but I might run into a whole herd of piglets.....
I

I would buy a CZ 75 in a heartbeat-if I didn't already have a Ruger SR9. It is a full size pistol with 17 rnd capacity. I have fed mine every weird concoction you can think of, even 158gr swc and it never once hiccuped. It is about a 2" gun at 25yds but it shoots anything I stuck in it that way...except the swc. I shoot with a friend who has a CZ and it is a great gun but the SR9 does what I asked of it. I had a S&W Shield and thankfully it is a memory although not a fond one! You have many choices in this category.296593

higgins
02-22-2022, 06:42 PM
I was in your position a few years ago trying to figure out which to get for my first 9mm. I went with the Beretta 92 Compact, which has to be one of the largest "compact" pistols in the world. I just liked the looks and proportions of it. I didn't want to spend weeks studying all the 9mms on the market so I decided I couldn't go wrong with a military design and I haven't been disappointed. Found some cheap surplus mags which will work in the 92 Compact. Function has been flawless with all sorts of factory ammo and handloads, FMJ, hollow point, and cast. Be aware that the bore on mine (made in Italy) slugged .3580 in the grooves which I have since found out is not unusual. The ambidextrous decocker also made the decision easy for a left-hander.

Rodfac
02-23-2022, 08:38 AM
I'm a big Browning High Power guy. Me too...Mine's a "Practical" (two-tone 9mm) and I've removed the magazine safety giving it an almost 1911 good trigger. The gun's a keeper, <2" @ 25 yds with selected ammunition and absolute reliability. I've replaced the stocks with Hogues giving it a little less width, mid-ships. I'd say that any Hi Power and especially this one with the Hogues has the best "in the hand" feel of any pistol....ever.

Were I looking for a new one, I'd give the Springfield SA35 a hard look. The reviews from the Rifleman & Guns and Ammo were very positive. The price is right too...at a MSRP of $700 IIRC...finding one currently is going to be tough but that'll change as they come on line. YMMv Rod......here's mine:

https://i.postimg.cc/7hkzqk3K/IMG-E6053.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Cosmic_Charlie
02-23-2022, 10:27 AM
You could go to a good indoor range and try some out. Was down in Panama City years back and tried some different 9's out. The Beretta 92 really impressed me as a pistol you could just pick up and shoot well. Same with the Sig 226.

dverna
02-23-2022, 11:12 AM
Target guns are different than working guns. And target guns for competition are different than guns for plinking and target practice.

You need to decide what you need (want?). Otherwise, you get what you have got so far. People telling you what they use that have no idea what you need (want?).

Best advice so far is to go handle a few and see what fits your hand. And frankly, accuracy is moot for most folks. I can outshoot most guys using a 1911 with my *** Glock. I shoot 1911's better and carry a Glock. There is a good reason for that. Accuracy is not the most important consideration in a "working" gun.

If you want a target gun to play with, get a revolver unless you enjoy picking up brass. Our SD guns are 9mm's but we mostly target shoot with .357 revolvers using .38 Spl cases that are cheap. Not hard to push a .38 Spl to 9mm levels safely in a .357.

david s
02-23-2022, 01:08 PM
A trio of steel framed 9mm. The CZ 75b and the S&W 639 are both double actions, the CZ can be used cocked and locked though. And a Browning Hi Power. The Hi Power and the CZ feel about the same in the hand the Browning is a bit lighter but not as much as to really notice. The only one you're likely to find under a $1000 is the CZ and some (used) can currently be found around $500 or less. I have a pair of the CZ's and a pair of Hi Powers but only a single 639 and that pretty much says how I feel about these three.

https://i.postimg.cc/PrZX01NM/IMG-1553.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

DocSavage
02-24-2022, 08:17 PM
I've several 9 nm pistols mostly 1911s,1 Beretta and a CZ 75 the one I carry is the SR1911 commander 10 rd mag. The only advice I can give is the recoil spring needs to be replaced with a 12 lb spring,had to many ftf for my liking.

FergusonTO35
02-25-2022, 10:35 AM
I would buy a CZ 75 in a heartbeat-if I didn't already have a Ruger SR9. It is a full size pistol with 17 rnd capacity. I have fed mine every weird concoction you can think of, even 158gr swc and it never once hiccuped. It is about a 2" gun at 25yds but it shoots anything I stuck in it that way...except the swc. I shoot with a friend who has a CZ and it is a great gun but the SR9 does what I asked of it. I had a S&W Shield and thankfully it is a memory although not a fond one! You have many choices in this category.296593

The SR is the last 9mm pistol worthy of the Ruger name, in my opinion. The Security 9 is a Kel-Tec/Sccy level gun, the American Pistol is big and heavy and nobody cares about it.