PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat and GC Lee 309-200r

Bashby
02-13-2022, 02:18 PM
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?438522-Gas-Checking-after-PC-ing-issues

Saw this recent thread pertaining to my question, thought I’d start a new one rather than hijack with my question.

I told a friend I would PC some boolits for him in exchange for a few of them to try in my 300BO. In the other thread, it seems some people would PC before Checking, some after. Some indication that some boolits could be done before, some after. Anyone have advice on the 200gr Lee?

I’ve never used or installed gas checks. I have a Lee push through sizer. I assume you run the boolit through backwards to install the GC, as in base first. Is that right? Does it flatten the tip and distort the boolit? I’d think if you GCed them first without the PC to act as a lube this would be a bigger problem.

What about shooting them with no GCs? (I don’t have any yet) I guess it would work, but could they be accurate?

charlie b
02-13-2022, 05:49 PM
When I used my Lee 180 I could apply GC before or after PC. I also did not need to nose size as the forward portion of the Lee die was a bit undersize for my bore. I also did a bit of experimentation and found no difference in accuracy by seating the GC before or after PC. I ended up seating after because it removed a step.

It was a bit more difficult to size after PC so if you sizing die is not polished well it might be beneficial to seat the GC and size before PC (and after).

No, I do not run the bullet through backwards. Push the bullet onto the GC as straight as you can. Then put it on the ram and push it through. The force of the ram on the base will tend to keep it even as it crimps in place. The key is to have a clean base on your bullets. Nice sharp edges.

You can shoot them without GC but the accuracy will suffer a bit unless you get good, clean base fillout AND the PC is even on the base and the GC shank area. I have not had good luck with them without GC's.