PDA

View Full Version : Would they have a clue?

Outer Rondacker
02-13-2022, 12:51 PM
I live in a rural area. Gun shops are far and few. Not stores by any means. Not a bullet mold for sale withing 200+ miles. I hate to say it but a wal mart is where most buy their ammo around here.

So I ask this, If a friend of yours walked into your reloading room would they have a clue? The answer for me is no way. I will go as far as to say if the closest 20 gun shop owners walked into my gun room, they would not be able with the combined powers figure out everything going on.

This topic is brought up since I had a shooting buddy swing over to look at the new house. We ended the tour with my reloading room. The questions went on for hours. I did not mind, but I started to wonder just how many have friends who share the hobby with them? All my shooting buddies would not be caught dead with a lead projectile in their guns. Old myths of leading and so on.

I am starting to understand why so many others in the shooting world including LGS owners look at me like a lost puppy dog when I speak or casting, swaging, advanced reloading. Mouse farts, rolling my own, fire forming and PCing bullets. I have even been told on the range that lead bullets are not safe for shooting as they can bounce back and hurt someone. I guess it was a good thing I was the CRSO on sight.

At this time, I would like to thank all of you on the cast boolits forum for being my outlet to a world that does not exist in my area. Please share if you are in this hobby on your own or if you have others in Real to share this with. Thanks Outer...

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-13-2022, 12:59 PM
Luckily, there are a few local to me, "that have a clue". A couple of them are members here. Another one is a benchrest shooter who also casts. Some years back, a friend and shooter (how doesn't reload) stopped over with his kids (there is 8 or 9 of them, all are home schooled), I gave the two oldest kids a lesson(class) on casting and reloading. I guess that was part of their School day. Those two were very interested and some day, I wouldn't doubt they will become reloaders themselves.

JoeJames
02-13-2022, 01:11 PM
There are a few near where I live who reload, and less than 5% of them cast. But it is like a double bit axe - it cuts both ways; as I have not had any trouble (knock wood) on getting free wheel weights from the local farmer's tire shop. Neither of the local gun shops on the other hand have had any reloading components since the start of the China War. Just recently a local shooter has asked my advice on how to start reloading.

Outer Rondacker
02-13-2022, 01:12 PM
Luckily, there are a few local to me, "that have a clue". A couple of them are members here. Another one is a benchrest shooter who also casts. Some years back, a friend and shooter (how doesn't reload) stopped over with his kids (there is 8 or 9 of them, all are home schooled), I gave the two oldest kids a lesson(class) on casting and reloading. I guess that was part of their School day. Those two were very interested and some day, I wouldn't doubt they will become reloaders themselves.

I used to teach reloading basics. After most learned it would cost them more money to buy reloading gear that was it. I have cast boolits for folks I didnt know and help them get a box when boxes where not for sale anyplace. Mostly 35 Remmington and other rounds for hunting.

I think I am looked at like a blacksheep.

Alstep
02-13-2022, 01:26 PM
Much the same here. I wonder if the industry has any numbers of how many shooters load, and how many of those cast. And very few hunters even shoot. I know guys that 1 box of ammo will last several seasons.

I've been involved with a junior shooting club for over 30 years. Every year we get fewer kids that show up to shoot. And we supply everything, guns, ammo, safety equipment, at no cost. We have even invited the local hunting clubs to shoot & challenge the kids to a fun match. In all those years I can only recall 3 or 4 times any hunting club members showed up. I just love it when my kids whoop em. Maybe that's why they never come back.

Finster101
02-13-2022, 01:56 PM
None of mine would. Even my neighbor who watches me cast and load some has no real understanding of the process and doesn't appear to desire to.

Outer Rondacker
02-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Much the same here. I wonder if the industry has any numbers of how many shooters load, and how many of those cast. And very few hunters even shoot. I know guys that 1 box of ammo will last several seasons.

I've been involved with a junior shooting club for over 30 years. Every year we get fewer kids that show up to shoot. And we supply everything, guns, ammo, safety equipment, at no cost. We have even invited the local hunting clubs to shoot & challenge the kids to a fun match. In all those years I can only recall 3 or 4 times any hunting club members showed up. I just love it when my kids whoop em. Maybe that's why they never come back.

I understand where you are coming from. I could fill this thread with stories of why I do not support any clubs in my area anymore but that is not what this is about.

I joined the local clubs to shoot with and perhaps against others. That was a waste of time. If I spent 8 hours at the range and shot 700-1000 rounds and did so five days a week I would not see another sole. Unless it was the month before buck season.

I have even had gun shops straight up refuse to buy handguns from me due to they claim I shoot so much I must have shoot the barrels out. I often wonder what would of happened if I had credit or access to money and opened my own shop. Would people get into the shooting more aspect of things with somebody to help them. Or would it be a flop.

I cannot even teach the Hunters Education class anymore since that is online only now. My trap shooting buddies are dying off.

Crap I got off topic on my own thread. Back to the topic guys. Who is going to take care of this mess I have if something happens to me. The wife has no clue. Friends are lost. Gun shop owners dont know anything other then AR-15 and Glock.

Winger Ed.
02-13-2022, 02:05 PM
I've only known about 7-8 guys that reload to one degree or another, and one that also casts for handguns.
Several more know understand the process, but don't do it themselves.

super6
02-13-2022, 02:17 PM
I belonged to a fireworks forum for a time, They had a rescue plan where other members would help the clueless. Might be something to consider here.

Outer Rondacker
02-13-2022, 02:34 PM
I belonged to a fireworks forum for a time, They had a rescue plan where other members would help the clueless. Might be something to consider here.

Not a bad Idea at all.

I am the guy they call in these parts for such a thing. I have taken pickup truck loads out of houses that no one could understand. Even been offered money to do so.

1616s16
02-13-2022, 03:07 PM
I reload self-tough and love it. I shot a lot of T C Contender wildcat rounds, people wonders were I
buy my ammo at. They have no idea.

elmacgyver0
02-13-2022, 03:09 PM
I am the only one I know personally that reloads, other than a friend that reloads shotshells only.
Probably my fault as I do not cultivate a lot of friends.
Probably my closest friend at the present is half my age, likes to shoot but up to this point is not interested in reloading.
Of course, he has a lot of kids and a small house and not a lot of room to set up a reloading area.

fastdadio
02-13-2022, 03:30 PM
Same boat here as the rest of you guys. I'm 63, been hunting and shooting all my life. I've only met one guy that reloads, and no one that casts. I'm not a recluse either, have lots of friends and most have guns and like to hunt. They all even consider a muzzle loader too much of a hassle, and only have and use them to comply with our special season. We're a bunch of rare birds these days.

MT Gianni
02-13-2022, 03:40 PM
I live in an area where many shooters handload. No trap clubs are close, handguns are a rarity and everyone wants to push jacketed to the max possible. The notion of slowing things down with lead is difficult to get someone to want to do. I had a table at a local show recently and at least 1/3 the people who came by were reloaders.

rancher1913
02-13-2022, 03:43 PM
I have wanted to teach a class locally, but can not find a space that would work and I do not want a bunch of strangers out at my house learning what I may or may not have around that could be pilfered if the shtf. a few close friends know and we trade molds and powder and such, but even when somebody is interested in the slugs or pc'ed boolits on display at the lgs, they dont want to take the time to learn to do things like that.

warren5421
02-13-2022, 03:52 PM
Very few around me reload lead as their reloading is to shot in AR's and everyone knows lead isn't good in the AR. Can't shoot lead in Glocks either. :violin: I started reloading shotgun in the 60's and handgun in the 70's with rifle following. My son won't reload, he said he didn't have time. Son-in-law did at one time but he shoots very little now.

country gent
02-13-2022, 04:12 PM
Most would really gain from the knowledge even if they never do reload. I believe more would have more respect for what they are handling also.

I have helped give both beginner classes and semi advanced classes. Its normally enjoyable and helps people out and gives a further understanding of whats involved and whats being done. I have went the one on one in my home with friends from work also. I have offered to allow fellow club members to e my equipment with instruction to load ammo when times are tough.

One thing I have ran into is a few would rather have you do the work for them rather than the instruction and hands on learning. Im willing to donate time to instruct but Im not doing it all while they are doing other things.

Want to really see baffled looks Have them come in the shop while machining reloading parts like die bodies and other tooling.

robg
02-13-2022, 04:33 PM
most of the keen shooters in our club reload ,but very few cast boolits .but i quite like being that guy who does that weird stuff.

Outer Rondacker
02-13-2022, 04:49 PM
Want to really see baffled looks Have them come in the shop while machining reloading parts like die bodies and other tooling.

I wish I had the means to make my own dies. I do what I can on my own and have a machine shop attempt to do what I need but it never seems to work out well.

unclemikeinct
02-13-2022, 04:49 PM
Ah Yep, We are a dying breed. Those of us from the Old School "Do it ourselfers", [Shoot, Hunt, Reload, Cast boolits, Tie flies etc.] . We are much closer to extinction than others in the shooting group. It is sad, IDK what is going to happen to my stuff when I'm gone. Uncle Mike in Ct.

Thumbcocker
02-13-2022, 05:06 PM
Anyone I have given the tour to either has their eyes glaze over or asks one way or another for me to give them some "leadheads" to plink with.

Back when I was gullible and wanted to spread the gospel of cast boolits I did give some ammo away. I requested that I get my brass back and a report on how they shot. Always the same result. "I couldn't find your brass." How did they shoot? Deer in the headlights lol. "Uhhhh they shot pretty good." Translation: I blasted away since it was free and didn't try to look for your brass.

lightman
02-13-2022, 05:16 PM
Most of my friends are either hunting buddies or shooting buddies, or both. So they are at least a little familiar with what my stuff is. My guns are in my will and my Boys know. I have added a note advising what my lead and brass stash are worth so they won't be thrown out or sold for scrap and my wishes that another caster or reloader gets a chance at them. One of my Sons is a reloaded but doesn't cast. Both are hunters and the Grandsons have shown an interest in hunting as well.

farmbif
02-13-2022, 05:18 PM
quite a few shooters these days primarily care about pulling the trigger as fast as they can, and that's it, put ammo in mag, put mag in gun, pull trigger as fast as possible. what else is there?
I went and got 500 pcs 308 brass and 500 good quality bullets because a friend said he could not find ammo and would like to learn to reload, have not heard from him in about a year.

Outer Rondacker
02-13-2022, 05:52 PM
quite a few shooters these days primarily care about pulling the trigger as fast as they can, and that's it, put ammo in mag, put mag in gun, pull trigger as fast as possible. what else is there?
I went and got 500 pcs 308 brass and 500 good quality bullets because a friend said he could not find ammo and would like to learn to reload, have not heard from him in about a year.

Neighbor bought a new guy said he wanted to coyote hunt take out the preditors around our neck of the woods. Claimed he could not find ammo. I said what did you buy. Mini 14. I told him I could load up some for him if he wanted. First, he said he wanted good hunting ammo not reloaded stuff. I let it go since that is just how he is. A week late he asked what I could load. I made him 20 nice soft points and brought them to him. Helped him sight in his 5000 dollar scope. Left him with 15 bullets. He wanted to buy 100 more off me. Told him to get the stuff and he could swing over, and we would load them. Saw him last week. He traded for the fasted flattest shooting gun in the world. 22-250. Now he wants to know if I can sell him 100 rounds for 25 bucks. Shop owner told him ammo is cheap for this gun. Im not in favor of lying but I did. Oh I cannot load that. Sorry. Now he owns a gun with no ammo.

Winger Ed.
02-13-2022, 05:57 PM
Ah Yep, We are a dying breed.

I used to think that until I tried to buy any dies, molds, brass, primers, powder, even presses this year.
Now, I'm not so sure.

MstrEddy
02-14-2022, 12:06 AM
Several of my shooting buddies reload. At least 6 or 7 of them. A couple of friends/acquaintances cast as well. I was probably instrumental in getting a few to load. And now another buddy is thinking of starting to reload.

On the topic of what happens to the stuff after you pass. I recently helped my buddy's widow take care of his gun collection (30+ pieces) and he left all the reloading equipment and supplies to me. Another friend wanted the press, so I gave the widow a price for it and he bought it. I've shared some of the powder, primers and bullets with another buddy. All the guns sold for fair prices and she was satisfied with the process.

I too have had folks ask me to load something for them, as it's so "cheap" for me. I've told them, yes, the components are cheap, but my time isn't. If you buy components, come over to my house, I'll teach you how and you can load your own. Not many have taken me up on it.

The ones that have, most went on to buy a press, dies and get started.

john.k
02-14-2022, 12:21 AM
Eevn guys who reload often dont seem to understand much...while back ,was next to guy shooting 22/250 reloads ,overloads by the look of the partial black rings on the cases......anyway,he finally gets a case separation...he asks me for my rod......its a 30 cal rod,wont fit your gun....just want to borrow it ,not gonna steal it.....I say again wont fit your gun...he goes on and on,so I hand him my old PH rod.....he sticks it in the muzzle ,thread goes in a bit ....OK wont fit .........next time he singles me out and says the rod has damaged his gun......he took it to a gunsmith ,and G/s says the muzzle is damaged by rod thread and its my fault.

M-Tecs
02-14-2022, 12:26 AM
Just the opposite for me. I have been competitively shooting since 1970. All my close friends are competitive shooter, serious hunter and/or reloaders. The hunting/shooting/reloading is the basis for the friendship. Through the years I lost count of how many people I have taught to reload but I know it's well over 50. I do have a couple of friends that are just casual hunters and they do not reload. A couple are not gun guys but they are very serious archers as am I.

john.k
02-14-2022, 12:29 AM
One said to me ."there is all sorts of sand and junk in those lead bullets,Id never shoot one in my guns"

Outer Rondacker
02-14-2022, 08:29 AM
Eevn guys who reload often dont seem to understand much...while back ,was next to guy shooting 22/250 reloads ,overloads by the look of the partial black rings on the cases......anyway,he finally gets a case separation...he asks me for my rod......its a 30 cal rod,wont fit your gun....just want to borrow it ,not gonna steal it.....I say again wont fit your gun...he goes on and on,so I hand him my old PH rod.....he sticks it in the muzzle ,thread goes in a bit ....OK wont fit .........next time he singles me out and says the rod has damaged his gun......he took it to a gunsmith ,and G/s says the muzzle is damaged by rod thread and its my fault.
"No good deed goes unpunished." When I first met my lovely lady, she used to tell me I was wrong. Now when I get screwed over for doing a good thing, she says it for me.

Just the opposite for me. I have been competitively shooting since 1970. All my close friends are competitive shooter, serious hunter and/or reloaders. The hunting/shooting/reloading is the basis for the friendship. Through the years I lost count of how many people I have taught to reload but I know it's well over 50. I do have a couple of friends that are just casual hunters and they do not reload. A couple are not gun guys but they are very serious archers as am I.
M-Tecs you are blessed. I attempted to start all forms of shooting sports at some local clubs. OMG they didnt want people coming around. Keep it the private club for sighting in your rifle before hunting season.

One said to me ."there is all sorts of sand and junk in those lead bullets,Id never shoot one in my guns"

Got to love it. I have been told by so called no training range officers that, It is not safe shooting that junk you make. You have to use jacketed bullets in these guns. Your going to hurt yourself. You cannot just load anything in a bullet like you can a shotgun.

LenH
02-14-2022, 09:02 AM
I have been shooting Bullseye shine about 2004. All the people in our group reload. No one but me cast and some of the guys look at me like I have a third eye in the middle of my forehead.
All of these guys shoot cast or swaged from factory made bullets. There was only one or 2 that asked me about casting my own.

William Yanda
02-14-2022, 09:55 AM

I'm in. We need a forum and a moderator.

contender1
02-14-2022, 12:35 PM
Reading many of the posts here,, made me think; "You guys need to find new friends!"

USPSA competition,, we shoot it at my range. Almost every shooter is a handloader. And even the new competitors,, want to learn how to make their own ammo.
Casting,, many of them also cast,, AND PC their bullets.

Hunters,, get with REAL hunters. You know,, the guys who actually PRACTICE shooting and burn ammo. Especially handgun hunters. They too most often handload,, & many cast.

And every time you run into another shooter who's not a handloader or caster,,, ask them what they've been doing for ammo during the shortages? Politely explain how handloading, casting, PCing etc has allowed you to continue to enjoy the shooting activities NORMALLY during this crunch.

I'm like a few others above. I know several handloaders, casters & serious shooters.

gwpercle
02-14-2022, 02:36 PM
I started reloading in 1967 while in High School . Two of my best friends enjoyed shooting and hunting . In 1970 I bought a 357 magnum BH , one friend got a 44 magnum SBH and the other a 357 magnum . They quickly wanted to learn how to make cheap ammo so I taught them .
I'm still heavily into casting , reloading and shooting but they moved on to Tennis and Pickle Ball and Golf and boring stuff like that .
I knew one othe reloader, a business associate , ... That's three reloaders I've known in 55 years !
I know there are other reloaders ...but they sure keep themselves hidden from me ... maybe it's my deodorant ... I shower once a week needed or not !
I was elated to find reloading forums on the computer ...I could talk to other reloaders :happy dance:
I'm fairly computer stupid but I persist because I enjoy talking about the subject and giving help .
:Luvcastboolits:
Gary

super6
02-14-2022, 03:28 PM
Your significant other most likely don't have a clue what to do with your (STUFF) Just makes sense to have a game plan. I would like to see my lead pile and lino and tin go to someone who can use it. Never mind the presses and all the tools.

Outer Rondacker
02-14-2022, 03:38 PM
Reading many of the posts here,, made me think; "You guys need to find new friends!"

Starting to think you are correct on that one.

I was elated to find reloading forums on the computer ...I could talk to other reloaders :happy dance:
I'm fairly computer stupid but I persist because I enjoy talking about the subject and giving help .
:Luvcastboolits:
Gary

Thanks for sharing. I persist for the same reason.

M-Tecs
02-14-2022, 04:12 PM

USPSA competition,, we shoot it at my range. Almost every shooter is a handloader. And even the new competitors,, want to learn how to make their own ammo.
Casting,, many of them also cast,, AND PC their bullets.

Hunters,, get with REAL hunters. You know,, the guys who actually PRACTICE shooting and burn ammo. Especially handgun hunters. They too most often handload,, & many cast.

And every time you run into another shooter who's not a handloader or caster,,, ask them what they've been doing for ammo during the shortages? Politely explain how handloading, casting, PCing etc has allowed you to continue to enjoy the shooting activities NORMALLY during this crunch.

I'm like a few others above. I know several handloaders, casters & serious shooters.

I think it really comes down to WHERE you meet your future friends. Almost all my close friends were met at a shooting or hunting event so they are shooters or hunters. Most are or were active competitive shooters so they are also reloaders. For the work related friends it started with the mutual interest in shooting.