PDA

View Full Version : 686 Tradf Mark

mattd
02-13-2022, 12:39 AM
Ugh, it dosent look this bad with the naked eye. Photo highlights things I can’t see. But...

My 686, no dash Tradf Mark;

376Steyr
02-13-2022, 12:37 PM
I bet there is a S&W collector out there who specializes in mis-marked guns who would pay a premium for this example.

TNsailorman
02-13-2022, 03:52 PM
I saw a S&W at a local gun shop that was a Model 29 that was marked on the barrel as .41 magnum but it really was a .44 magnum. Gun shop had a price of $100.00 over the list price of the Model 29 suggested retail price list at the time. I think he ended up selling it on GB for a considerable price. james

StrawHat
02-18-2022, 07:41 AM
What am I not seeing?

Kevin

NSB
02-18-2022, 09:13 AM
Looks just like mine. The “dash” isn’t where you’re showing it supposed to be. Open the cylinder and look on the frame inside. Nothing special in the pic you’re showing.

mattd
02-18-2022, 09:37 AM
I know where the dash is....or in my case isn’t.

Its stamped tradF. I’m sure they didn’t replace a character with an incorrect one. More then likely the stamp was damaged after doing many revolvers.

Texas by God
02-18-2022, 09:38 AM
The word "Trade" is spelled "Tradf" on the side plate. Look carefully at the pic; you'll see it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

T-Bird
02-18-2022, 10:13 AM
I saw that but it wasn't easy. Didn't see it at first. Your post words led me to it.

NSB
02-18-2022, 10:38 AM
Maybe it’s just me, but I wouldn’t pay an extra nickel for it. Coins and stamps have large followings for these things. I don’t know anyone who’d pay more for a poorly stamped frame. Might be someone out there, some people will buy anything. When I worked in the auto industry I once saw a car coming down the assembly line that had a mix of Pontiac and Buick emblems on a vehicle (they made both models in the same plant….same vehicle platform). They didn’t sit it aside as a collectors item.

StrawHat
02-19-2022, 09:50 AM
…Its stamped tradF. I’m sure they didn’t replace a character with an incorrect one. More then likely the stamp was damaged after doing many revolvers...

Thank you! Totally missed that.

You are correct, stamps do get worn out. I would bet S&W did not notice it for a while either.

Stamps get worm out, images get struck lightly or too deeply or even in the wrong place. Not sure if it makes a difference to anyone other than collectors. And most of them, probably not.

Kevin

Bula
03-01-2022, 08:57 PM
Man I have a pre-dash 6" 686. That only makes the gun a little "different". I say different in a good way! Wouldn't bother me at all. Funny story, I sent my 686 to S&W for a hammer mounted firing pin bushing recall. They returned it with the crane stamped "686-M". I was all kinds of twisted for a few days that my pre-dash now had a dash! Ha! But I'm a different Man now, I promise....

Respectfully,
Bula

Texas by God
03-02-2022, 12:09 AM
The first Ruger Mini-14(an early one with wooden hand guard) that I traded for was stamped Ruger Mini 14 twice on top of the rear receiver. Like the stamp double tapped. It was a conversation starter but the gun did 5” groups on a good day so someone else ended up with it!

mattd
03-02-2022, 10:07 AM
i have a similar mini, the 180 series. I love mine. Took a bit, but it will do under an inch at 50y with factory sights. could probably get a little better, but it likes them loaded long, and the mag is the limiting factor.