PDA

View Full Version : Gaschecks

jdgabbard
01-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Alright, been eye ballin' those gas check dies over in the group buy section for some time now. Thinking about ordering a set one day. Just a quick question. Thread says that you can use soda cans for material.

I was under the impression that it was a bad idea. Something about Aluminum Oxide being tougher then diamonds or something. What gives? Anybody usin' 'em? Was it a bad decision?

rbuck351
01-20-2009, 12:13 AM
I made my own GC maker after seeing someone elses design. So far i'm making 22 25 30 and 35 cals. They seem to work as well as copper ones. I'm not using soda cans but found some roofing aluminum sheet in rolls at Home depot. The stuff I found is about .010 thick which works well for me with one thickness. For a $10 roll you can make tens of thousands of checks. As far as aluminum oxide, yes it is very hard and abrasive, so don't let it oxidize. Spray the aluminum with WD40 or some other oil. And of course, when you lube/size the bullet,it should get coated with bullet lube. Any way I haven't had a problem with oxidation of the aluminum checks. There a little slow to make, but I make them while watching tv. Thats the way it works for me.YMMV Buck

jdgabbard
01-20-2009, 03:35 PM
So you haven't really had any issues with the checks oxiding, but what about wear and tear on the barrel?

RU shooter
01-20-2009, 06:39 PM
So you haven't really had any issues with the checks oxiding, but what about wear and tear on the barrel? I too roll my own alum. checks I use painted trim coil matl. (.012)so no fear of any oxidation .I have noticed no wear or any fouling of the bore and acuracy being the same at the vel. I normally shoot .I'll keep using mine ,Hornady will get no more of my money.

Tim

rbuck351
01-21-2009, 11:28 PM
I haven't shot enough to show any wear, a few dozen from a 22k hornet and same from a 25/20, but aluminum is pretty soft and the check is very short. I can't believe wear from the check would ever be a problem if they don't oxidize. As I now have a mini lathe I will no longer spend money on copper checks.

Black Wolf
09-23-2009, 12:14 PM
I too roll my own alum. checks I use painted trim coil matl. (.012)so no fear of any oxidation .I have noticed no wear or any fouling of the bore and acuracy being the same at the vel. I normally shoot .I'll keep using mine ,Hornady will get no more of my money.

Tim

I just purchased some of the .0125" painted flashing at Lowes myself (white on one side, brown on the other). RU Shooter - have you seen any type of paint residue in the bore after shooting with the painted flashing?

Just curious since I've bought the same the stuff and started punching my own (Thanks to Charlie).

Your reply is welcome.

Shot some of the home-made Free-Chex today and observed no change in accuracy out of my French MAS. Chrono: AVG-1674, ES-55, SD-22. 17 Grains of Alliant 2400, pushing pure Wheel weights (water quenched) Lee 155 grain bullet (tumble lubed w/ Alox), sized to .309". Got a decent group of 2" at 50 yards. I love this little carbine.