PDA

View Full Version : Mouse gun practice

Texas by God
02-11-2022, 10:06 PM
This belongs to my daughter but it is visiting, so I thought that I'll run a hundred rounds or so through it for fun.
Off to a good start! Nary a miss at twenty feet. I'll keep testing it when I get time. The tip up loading is genius; thanks Beretta. Thanks Taurus so far!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220212/459efa1d88ee491df302bde81e94f0cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

ddixie884
02-11-2022, 10:21 PM
Cool.............

fastdadio
02-11-2022, 10:30 PM
The old lady that lives next door to me has the Taurus model tip up .22lr. I take it out once a year and blow the cob webs out of it for her. Give it a good scrub n loob, and return it to her with fresh boolits. It cycles every time for me.
I must say, as an old high power competitor, we always referred to the AR's as mouse guns.

M-Tecs
02-12-2022, 12:17 AM
I must say, as an old high power competitor, we always referred to the AR's as mouse guns.

Same here. That what I thought when I saw the title. This is still interesting.

cwtebay
02-12-2022, 01:44 AM
Looks like Ol Roy had it comin'.
Pretty fancy shooting TBG.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Texas by God
02-13-2022, 09:32 PM
It was almost too dark to see the front sight but I hit it more than I missed it. And it kept getting further away[emoji16]. Perfect function so far but next I'll try CCI Quiet. I've only used Mini Mags so far and that's what the front sight is filed for( the carry load).
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220214/e5139fd08af6f23171aadd12700e3293.jpg

elmacgyver0
02-13-2022, 09:44 PM
Mine are Berettas, a Minx, Bobcat and a Tomcat.
Guess I shouldn't leave out my Jaguar and 2 Cheetahs, but they aren't tip-ups.

FergusonTO35
02-14-2022, 10:15 AM
I like mouseguns. Currently have two Kel-Tec P32's and a Ruger LCP II .22 in the stable.

Texas by God
02-14-2022, 06:27 PM
Today's snack was standard velocity at 20 feet. I always manage to pull a couple of shots off when things are looking good[emoji16]It also liked Norma Tac22.
Show us your mouse guns! Drag them out of their hideyhole and blast the dustbunnies out of them. You'll enjoy it.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220214/ecd0bdc2351e959ec82446c38a689996.jpg

Sasquatch-1
02-15-2022, 08:47 AM
Colt 1908 Pocket Hammerless Circa 1927. .25acp. Doesn't come out often so I don't have any target pictures.

Texas by God
02-15-2022, 08:42 PM
It's good to start at the top. You have a very nice JMB Colt there.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-15-2022, 08:54 PM
I could contribute a little, but am not certain about the accepted definition of "mouse gun", although I've heard the term for many years. Are .32s and .380s mouse guns? I can see size being the determination, as well as caliber. For example, are my Ruger Standard Model .22 and my Buckmark pistols mouse guns? The photos already posted are of nice pistols, but the only thing I have that would fit in is a Jennings J-22. I have a derringer in .38 Spec. that isn't much larger, but the cartridge is.
:veryconfu Some mice are bigger than others......

DG

Texas by God
02-15-2022, 09:01 PM
Any pistol you would shoot a mouse with?[emoji16]
Little .22s and .25s, but my Shield 40 is narrower and barely bigger than the PT-22. Throw a can in the snow and give us a range report with that Jennings, DG!

curdog
02-15-2022, 09:41 PM
I got a little beretta that shoots shorts only. My wife took it and i dont get it back......................curdog

FergusonTO35
02-16-2022, 11:14 AM
Any pistol you would shoot a mouse with?[emoji16]
Little .22s and .25s, but my Shield 40 is narrower and barely bigger than the PT-22. Throw a can in the snow and give us a range report with that Jennings, DG!

Some of the cheapo zinc pistols work really well. I have a well worn Jennings J-22 that eats anything and is as accurate as any other tiny pistol I've tried. With these things, the design was decent and the mild cartridges don't stress the cheap materials too badly. Biggest problem with them was quality control that could measured in inches of vacuum. One pistol might be great, the next one off the line might keyhole, next one after that might stovepipe, and so on. Hi-Point took essentially the same design and applied decent quality control and somewhat better materials.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-16-2022, 11:24 AM
O.K., TbG, I'm going to search for the Jennings today and throw it out in the snow. Oh--wait--I read that wrong. I'll shoot it and report back! Actually, joking aside, just like Ferguson says, they are pretty good for what they are. When I was in business I sold many of them in preference to the Raven, which was also good. The only weakness I ever found with the Jennings was that the followers liked to pop out of the tops of the magazines. Eventually someone, but it wasn't Jennings, made a decent after market magazine and I got a couple of them. I used to carry it often, but not as my primary arm, but rather as a backup. Haven't shot it for years, so I'll dig it out. :Fire:

DG

Texas by God
02-16-2022, 02:56 PM
Curdogs tale of the .22 Short 950 Beretta took me back to the bowling pin days. A friend has one of those neat little guns and we would have side matches where you "head shot" the pins and they would fall over on the table. Big Fun!

Der Gebirgsjager
02-16-2022, 05:49 PM
296380 296381 296382

296383 296384

296385 296386

I'll be staying with the old fashioned way of catching mice.

DG

FergusonTO35
02-17-2022, 12:43 PM
That's an early J-22 with the horizontal sliding safety. Those usually did better than the later ones with the up/down safety. My biggest worry about these guns is the fact that if you carry it cocked and locked, the only thing holding the firing pin back is the sear. If the sear or firing pin is worn, or the sear spring is weak and not pushing the sear up all the way you can get an AD. Only way I would ever carry one of these is with an empty chamber.

pietro
02-18-2022, 03:24 AM

My .22 mouser...….

https://i.imgur.com/o3ruSAZl.jpg

FergusonTO35
02-18-2022, 11:48 AM
My wife's grandfather had one of those. Incredibly well made little piece, but very ammo picky and did not shoot to the sights. The Beretta 21 I had at the time and the Ruger LCP II .22 I have today were much better guns performance wise.

Texas by God
02-18-2022, 09:14 PM
You had fun, admit it DG! Way to represent! and you brought a very nice Rat gun too with that Llama 9mm.
To continue this silliness I fired 5 shots at 5 feet with .22 Colibris using it like a break action single shot.
My son just dug out his PT22 for me to play with- woohoo! I've cleaned his twin sisters pistol, reloaded it with CCI Mini Mag, and put it back up. Stay tuned.....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220219/411ccef8fe1d1a51a70a03df062f26a1.jpg

Der Gebirgsjager
02-18-2022, 09:39 PM
Yes, I did enjoy it, and wanted to remember to thank you for getting me out into the fresh air. I was pleased with both pistols' performance. The .22 utilized Rem. Thunderbolts and the 9mm was Blazer Brass 124 gr. FMJ. I think a bit of practice would tighten everything up. I'm glad that you understand my strange sense of humor, about some mice being larger than others, and the necessity for rat pistols as well as mouse guns! Well, also, there are rats, and then there are other rats. Meanwhile, the Jennings has been cleaned and returned to the stockpile. The Llama remains a close companion. Thanks again.

DG

Hanzy4200
02-19-2022, 09:18 AM
I should break out my little mouse gun collection sometime for a picture. I have 4-5 .25's and at least that many .32's. There's just something cool about little bitty pistols.

Texas by God
02-20-2022, 06:13 PM
The blued one works great too; especially on zombie appliances....
I'm still waiting on a malfunction from either one; I'm thinking that they are good pistols- time and ammo will tell.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220220/76dd2d82e7918b1220b3218663c2129e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220220/9b64bb21581f709c84b100e983ea2dfd.jpg

georgerkahn
02-20-2022, 06:37 PM
This belongs to my daughter but it is visiting, so I thought that I'll run a hundred rounds or so through it for fun.
Off to a good start! Nary a miss at twenty feet. I'll keep testing it when I get time. The tip up loading is genius; thanks Beretta. Thanks Taurus so far!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220212/459efa1d88ee491df302bde81e94f0cc.jpg

Is this the T-22 model? It sure is pretty; stainless? I have the real McCoy Beretta and with all the rounds I've sent through it I have had but two failures! BOTH were BAD ammo, which I tried firing in a revolver after repeated attempts in the Beretta.
Again -- happy for you! -- great little firearm. I have a fold-over el cheapo nylon "holster" mine lives in, in either my trouser or jacket pocket. Imho, it is one of the ultimate CCRs!
geo

Texas by God
02-20-2022, 08:00 PM
George, they are the Taurus PT22 copy of the Beretta. I bought one for each of my twins as a graduation gift. My son got the blued one, my daughter got the stainless one. I upgraded to the grips of their choice from Taurus. My oldest daughter worked for Academy at the time so it was karma.
It's sort of humorous to remind one's self that there is never a need to work the slide.
I'm always looking for a Beretta 950 at a decent price- either .22 Short or .25auto- it matters not to me!

georgerkahn
02-21-2022, 09:42 AM
George, they are the Taurus PT22 copy of the Beretta. I bought one for each of my twins as a graduation gift. My son got the blued one, my daughter got the stainless one. I upgraded to the grips of their choice from Taurus. My oldest daughter worked for Academy at the time so it was karma.
It's sort of humorous to remind one's self that there is never a need to work the slide.
I'm always looking for a Beretta 950 at a decent price- either .22 Short or .25auto- it matters not to me!

I "heard" enough, for lack of a better term, "badmouthing" re "reliability" of the .22 l.r. that I sought the .25acp model. Bion, I found a Beretta M418 (1939) one made in 1936! Kind of old ;) but if functions as a new one might. Murphy Law, shortly after I acquired this one a sister to it -- this the Model 950BS -- appeared at a local gun show at a reduced price as it had no magazine. It followed me home. I did learn that the mags betwixt the 418 and 950BS fit but do NOT function reliably. After I got this challenge addressed, I now have a few "dots" of WhiteOut on the 418-working mags...
However -- and it is a huge 'however' -- other than two .22 rounds (un-named ancient stuff I had in a soup can from years before) which would not fire -- I've had nary a ftf or any other problem with my .22 lr Minx! (I use CCI ammo)
On the 'net (where else) there is a place in Reno, Nevada (D4) which has one listed in .22 short at a short (penny less ;)) than five hundred U S dollars...
Not only is is "humorous" re the slide, as you mentioned, but imho one of the greatest SAFETY measures! I have no worries at all with mine in, say, a trouser pocket with a full magazine, empty chamber, and a couple of loose rounds. If needed (time wise) I can rack the slide -- a given -- but when there is time afforded it is sooooo nice to click the barrel release, pop in a round, and fire as desired!
Again, congrats on your (children's) Taurus's!
geo

Der Gebirgsjager
02-21-2022, 12:16 PM
Hmmm....TbG, a .25 ACP? Dare I open this can of worms? I know that there are .25 fans here on the Forum... some even reload for them. I guess I would fall into the category of "He doesn't know what he's talking about" (put nicely) as having acquired my first firearm at age 12, some 68 years ago, I've never owned a .25 ACP. My excuse is that I did, and still do, a lot of reading about firearms and over the years the bad opinions have far outnumbered those that were good. Stories like finding
.25 ACP slugs caught in heavy clothing after gunfights.

They always used to say that if you've got to have either a .22 or a .25 to go with the .22. Sure, I agree that getting shot with anything can be unpleasant and spoil your day, but if you're the shooter instead of the shootee, why start with a handicap? Better advice seemed to be to have at least, very least, a .380 ACP. They always skipped right over the .32 ACP, and I've never owned one of them either, but some including the Europeans, seem to favor them. I do have a handful of .380s, and have gained more respect for them as bullet development and ammo engineering has improved.

Very honestly, I don't think much of the .22 LR as a defense round either, and although I have scads of handguns including several .22s, I consider the .22s to be hunting/target pistols and not defense weapons. They have longer barrels and better sights. As stated some posts back, the only "defensive" mouse gun I own is the Jennings. It served a purpose during a time in my life now thankfully long past, but I've never found another notch for it to fill.

The tip up barrel is a great design feature, but don't they make one in .380 ACP? I think so...anyway Beretta does or did. I've got a Taurus M85 .38 Spec. that's not all that bigger, if physical size of the gun matters. I'm pretty sure I've still got 6-8 unopened boxes of PMC .25 ACP ammo from years ago when I closed my shop that no one had purchased. That, to me, says something.....exactly what is debatable. Could have been too high priced, but maybe a vote of no confidence.

Anyway, I'm worried about you, Pard. You're shattering my image of Texans who carry large caliber pistols. It may be true that when the chips are down, some pistol is better than no pistol-- but before the chips fall and when one still has a choice as to what to be found with at that time.......should the choice be a .25? Is it that much more difficult to fit a .380 or .38 snub in a purse or pocket? Jeff and I will rest uneasily until you return to the light....

DG

Fishman
02-21-2022, 02:02 PM
I bought a Beretta 950 in .22 short like new in the box in the early 90's for the princely sum of $60 tax included. It was a lot of fun and super accurate, but not much use to a guy with designs on a larger caliber. I traded it a few years later for $250 trade value on a Super Redhawk and although I miss the Beretta, I still think I got a screaming trade on that. I was only out of pocket about $300.

One neat one I still have that I got in some long forgotten trade is a High Standard .22 mag derringer. The barrels are extremely thin and so it is a unique shape for carry or concealment. A very cool and well made little gun.

Texas by God
02-21-2022, 10:24 PM
I usually carry a .40 Shield-which is about the size of the .380s of my youth, DG- fret not!
I'm like George, I also read that the .25 was superior in reliability versus the .22 rimfire ( because JMB designed it!) But I haven't been able to prove it.
I wouldn't want to walk in nefarious places with a .22 or a .25- but they sure are fun to shoot.
When I find my .25 auto DG- I'll buy all that ammo from you!
A Beretta question- wasn't the .22 Short 950 the Minx- and the .25acp 950 the Jetfire?
What model is the tip up, DA only, .22LR Beretta- the pattern for the Taurus PT22?
And Beretta did make a tip up barrel .380 for a time. Massage Ayoob recommended it for weak handed folks in an article about self defense handguns.

Baltimoreed
02-21-2022, 10:34 PM
296654Here’s mine, an old Woodsman.

georgerkahn
02-22-2022, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=Texas by God;5360506]I usually carry a .40 Shield-which is about the size of the .380s of my youth, DG- fret not!
I'm like George, I also read that the .25 was superior in reliability versus the .22 rimfire ( because JMB designed it!) But I haven't been able to prove it.
I wouldn't want to walk in nefarious places with a .22 or a .25- but they sure are fun to shoot.
When I find my .25 auto DG- I'll buy all that ammo from you!
A Beretta question- wasn't the .22 Short 950 the Minx- and the .25acp 950 the Jetfire?
What model is the tip up, DA only, .22LR Beretta- the pattern for the Taurus PT22?
And Beretta did make a tip up barrel .380 for a time. Massage Ayoob recommended it for weak handed folks in an article about self defense handguns.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

To (hopefully) shed some light to your model i.d. query: Beretta Model 3032 “Tomcat” .32ACP pistol; Beretta M1934 “Cougar” 9mm Corto (.380acp); Beretta Model 950BS “Minx” .22 Short; Beretta Model 21-A “Bobcat” .22 long rifle; Beretta M418 (pre-“Bantham”) .25acp ; Beretta Model 950BS “Jetfire” .25ACP.
geo

georgerkahn
02-22-2022, 09:13 AM
Texas by God -- you asked, "What model is the tip up, DA only, .22LR Beretta- the pattern for the Taurus PT22?" According to Wikapoedia, they wrote, "The PT22 is a .22 LR semi-automatic pistol produced by Taurus and features an 8+1 round capacity magazine. The PT22 is often viewed as a Taurus copy of the Beretta 21 Bobcat due to having a similar "tip up" barrel. In fact this small pistol is very different in design and function from the Beretta. The PT22 may have either a cast aluminum or polymer frame, and a steel slide. It is one of an increasing variety of Taurus firearms manufactured in Florida, USA. It has a spur-less hammer, and a long but smooth double action only (DAO) trigger. The "tip up" barrel is useful in that the first round may be chambered directly into the barrel, and the operator does not have to "pull back" or "rack" the slide. Retracting the slide is difficult due to the heavy spring required in this blow-back action. The grip feel of the PT22 is "fat", and fills a normal-sized hand. This width may make the PT22 difficult for some smaller handed people to hold comfortably. The Taurus PT22 is only able to fire standard or high velocity cartridges; while hyper and ultra velocity cartridges will load and fire, they cannot be safely used in the PT22.
Taurus also sells a .25 ACP version called the PT25."
I was a tad surprised that the similarity is in overall looks and but the tip-up barrel design... Anyhoos -- I hope this answers a bit your query.
geo

cwtebay
02-22-2022, 11:25 AM
"Lucky Gunner" on YouTube has a series of videos on the mouse gun subject along with data from shootings that would indicate that 22, 22 mag, 35 ACP, 32 ACP are effective. The data also suggests that the number one rule of gunfights apply every time - make sure you have a gun!
They're good videos and a fun watch.

https://youtu.be/_fLKrkmSToo

https://youtu.be/Cv6PxB2TqLM

Der Gebirgsjager
02-22-2022, 01:39 PM
I hope you guys know that I'm joshing you a bit. ;-)

TbG-- when you find that Dream .25 I'll likely gift you the ammo for the shipping. Because I'm never expecting to own a .25.

I did read one time where back in the Al Capone gangster era they would sometimes find .25 ACP slugs on the gurneys in the morgue that had fallen out of the victim's clothing! Too many years ago now to cite the source. But I'm sure that anything, including an adequately powered pellet on an unprotected forehead is sufficient to at least cause dizziness. :grin:

I like .22s of the hunting/target variety. Used to be cheap practice-- maybe not so much any more. And, I've got nothing at all against Taurus handguns, of which I own five...but they're all revolvers. The most valued is a 6" M-96 that is the same size and weight as a 6" S&W Mod. 19. If you get pretty good shooting the first one you'll be pretty good with the second one.

I've always had a high level of respect for Beretta handguns and their quality. I can only think of two of them at the moment that I own, both .380 M-1934s. The timely display of one actually saved me from grievous bodily injury late one night, but a test of it's ballistic effectiveness proved unnecessary as my antagonist was not only equipped with a large butcher knife, but some common sense as well. Definitely a rat gun.

i guess we all have our peculiarities...and I'm not without mine. Having seen some of the elephant, mostly the rear part, I just can't "get into" the mouse guns for self-defense. I even sometimes feel uneasy with .38 Specials, although time and engineering has overcome most of their deficiencies. How odd is that? I have the basic primordial fear of the 158 gr. RN's failures, and for me it's a +P JHP or a move up to the next caliber starting with a "4". For silly me, 9mm is a wobbler. I'll carry 'em if the occasion suggests it, but only with that 20 rounds per box $25 wonder ammo. :2gunsfiring_v1:

To each his own.

DG

georgerkahn
02-23-2022, 09:11 AM
I hope you guys know that I'm joshing you a bit. ;-)

TbG-- when you find that Dream .25 I'll likely gift you the ammo for the shipping. Because I'm never expecting to own a .25.

I did read one time where back in the Al Capone gangster era they would sometimes find .25 ACP slugs on the gurneys in the morgue that had fallen out of the victim's clothing! Too many years ago now to cite the source. But I'm sure that anything, including an adequately powered pellet on an unprotected forehead is sufficient to at least cause dizziness. :grin:

I like .22s of the hunting/target variety. Used to be cheap practice-- maybe not so much any more. And, I've got nothing at all against Taurus handguns, of which I own five...but they're all revolvers. The most valued is a 6" M-96 that is the same size and weight as a 6" S&W Mod. 19. If you get pretty good shooting the first one you'll be pretty good with the second one.

I've always had a high level of respect for Beretta handguns and their quality. I can only think of two of them at the moment that I own, both .380 M-1934s. The timely display of one actually saved me from grievous bodily injury late one night, but a test of it's ballistic effectiveness proved unnecessary as my antagonist was not only equipped with a large butcher knife, but some common sense as well. Definitely a rat gun.

i guess we all have our peculiarities...and I'm not without mine. Having seen some of the elephant, mostly the rear part, I just can't "get into" the mouse guns for self-defense. I even sometimes feel uneasy with .38 Specials, although time and engineering has overcome most of their deficiencies. How odd is that? I have the basic primordial fear of the 158 gr. RN's failures, and for me it's a +P JHP or a move up to the next caliber starting with a "4". For silly me, 9mm is a wobbler. I'll carry 'em if the occasion suggests it, but only with that 20 rounds per box $25 wonder ammo. :2gunsfiring_v1:

To each his own.

DG

To continue perhaps, a "joshing" -- not really germane to this thread is "killing power" vs "stopping power". I recall a drill instructor repeatedly voicing that a .22 is every bit as deadly as a .50 -- the major difference being the TIME generally required so to accomplish fatality! I, too, own a Model 34 9mm kurz Beretta, but still instead carry the .22! I've never measured (with a scale) the required trigger pull on my M34, but on mine it is quite the effort!
Not that many years back a local LEO arrived to assist a young lady who was being strangled. He fired five torso shots at less-than-three-foot range from his .40 Glock and it hardly slowed the perp down! I gave quite a thought re that for a bit: Whatever drug(s) perp was on...???... had such an effect?
I am most grateful that in my 73 years I've had but one occasion where I was happy that I did in fact have a firearm on me albeit it (thankfully) was not needed. But, I still am of the thought -- the old saying, "Better to have a weak gun than no gun at all" -- that both by its presence as well as ease of use (tip-up barrel, etc.) -- the .22 Beretta will do. As a (now retired) Hunter-Safety Instructor we used to stress the "and beyond" more than "the target". My dad once shot a goose to see TWO geese drop. The bullet passed through the first and entered, killing, the bird behind it. Bion, this is yet another thought re "elephant guns" being carried for domestic defense. The (your) .380acp is a good choice re this factor. Not a bad one, either imho; I just wish mine did not have that zillion-pound (give or take a few ounces ;)) trigger pull.
geo

Der Gebirgsjager
02-23-2022, 03:18 PM
Hi George-- I shudder at the prospect of once again engaging in the "killing power vs. stopping power" discussion, debated so many times on the Forum by so many members with strong opinions, some based on street experience and some on volumes of jello busting research. So, I won't.

Those of us who choose to carry, an idea that seems better and better now days, need to periodically re-examine our thoughts on what it is we should insert into our holsters. No doubt there are situations where a .22 or .25 is a good choice such as deep concealment, a weapon of last resort. One size does not fit all, nor is one size ideal for all circumstances. For some having physical handicaps, a mouse gun may be the only option. I'm just saying that if you need it you'll likely never feel over gunned with a larger caliber. Also, quite possible is that the choice you made will be the last time you'll get to make a choice.

The M-1934s do have stiff triggers. They can be smoothed, but I've never encountered one that had a target grade trigger.
I like .380s, but prefer something larger. There's a balance to be found there for each shooter in concealment, accuracy, reliability, and potential results. Dirty Harry's Mod. 29 was good for concealment because he wore a shoulder holster under a suit coat, plenty accurate and reliable, certainly got results -- but I can't remember him firing rapid repeat shots. Even in the diner where he was getting super-sugared coffee the shots were deliberate and spaced. It wouldn't work for me. The mouse guns work for many for concealment, accuracy, reliability, but may come up short on results. Not all the time, but I wouldn't want it to be my time.

So all I'm saying is choose wisely as to what to put into that holster, not knowing what situation may arise. Something less than Harry's Mod. 29 for most of us, but probably more than a .22 or .25. But, like I've already confessed, I'm a dinosaur.
.380s seem a happy compromise for many circumstances, but I'll always go larger if practical. Just how much of a dinosaur is made evident by my penchant for steel guns. I keep the M-1934 because it's an old friend, but the last couple of years have replaced it with a Star SS, shown below. Still blue steel. Very smooth.

Like you, I also taught Hunter Ed for a few years. The principles of safety taught therein do have some application to self-defense situations, but things can happen so fast that it's often impossible to consider all the possibilities of where that missile you launched to save your life may end up embedding itself. It's not a perfect world, and we have to live with the results of what we've caused to happen. Like Mr. Ayoob says, "In The Gravest Extreme", as a last resort, because you can't call the bullets back.

DG

FergusonTO35
02-23-2022, 04:31 PM
I'm actually planning to add a Bersa Thunder .380 to my battery soon, even though there are plenty of 9's of that size of even smaller.

georgerkahn
02-23-2022, 04:37 PM
DG -- THANKS for not re-re-re-engaging the "kill - vs -stop" arena :)! I wish to thank you for your reply to my post -- a LOT of good points. In addition to my Beretta M34 I have one with an even stiffer (and then some!) trigger -- an old (really old!) Czechoslovakian made CZ24 which, I believe, was made some time between 1934 and 1936. Then, too, I have one almost too pretty to shoot -- a stainless Sig P230 bearing a 3 5/8" barrel and also fits in a trouser pocket.
And yes -- I do have ("safe gun") a Dirty Harry 29-2, complete with wood box in came in. Definitely NOT for this cripple a carry gun! and for me, discussion drifts over to that other beat to all: "Hit it with a small calibre mouse gun, or, miss it with that Charging elephant gun?" never ending debate ;).
Part of the fun of life, I've learned, is there always soooo many questions -- and even more (correct!) answers. I do believe re the "mouse or elephant" gun debate, a lot, too, depends upon location ( Including what worst-case critters you may encounter).. My hunch, nothing more, is that, say, those who romp on the very south-west need worry about poisonous snakes -- none I've heard of in my neck of the woods. Those who romp on the "scary" parts of big cities have another critter to worry about. In your neck of the woods, as long as you're content with your .380 -- I'm happy for you. In my (car) travels a can of Black Flag Wasp spray is my prime (most times, "only") weapon as many cities in my state do not recognize pistol permits outside their limits. At camp, fishing, and in rural romping my gamble is with the mouse gun. Deer season, however, I've gone to carrying a Ruger Sp101 .357mag. Hence, too, the "carry gun" may be directed by location?

Texas by God
02-23-2022, 08:34 PM
That Star is nice, DG.
I've never been a .380 guy but that's one to have! An FN 1922 made a .32auto fan out of me long ago with its accuracy. A Beretta Tomcat, a Walther PP, and FEG since were precise as well. None of the .380s that I've owned or shot measured up. I just hate looking for Itty bitty brass in the grass!

FergusonTO35
02-24-2022, 07:03 PM
I only shoot my .32's in the paved driveway, and I still lose a few! Gave my LCP II .22 some exercise today and was reminded what a fine little piece it is.

cwtebay
02-25-2022, 11:06 PM
Well, I pulled a few out of the safe for the challenge!
Got em all shooting, had a heck of a time finding my brass with 18' of snow. But it made for a fun, albeit chilly (-11°) afternoon!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220226/40a19841ef7d763bf3be7f2a139ed8ab.jpg

Der Gebirgsjager
02-26-2022, 06:27 AM
That's a nice accumulation, cwtebay! All appear in great condition.

DG

dverna
02-26-2022, 10:35 AM
My last true mouse gun was a Seecamp .32, but it was not very accurate and the Win Silver Tips's were not cheap. I had a CZ70 as well and shot it a bit but never carried it. Carried a Walther PPK .380 for a while but sold it when I got the Kahr CW9mm. I have never owned a .25ACP and doubt that will ever happen.

There was an interesting thread about .32 ACP's that Outpost75 posted on. Good reading if you can find it.

Like previous posters have commented...any gun is better than no gun and one size does not fit all. About the only advantage of being over 200 lbs is it makes it easier to carry something bigger than a rat gun...LOL

Texas by God
02-26-2022, 05:26 PM
Those Stevens tip up pistols are neat! I seem to remember Hawes selling a replica of those in the 1970's? Neat .25 and .32 there too, cwtebay!

cwtebay
02-26-2022, 11:54 PM
Then I had to drag these out too!
The FN is actually my by-the-bed gun and has been for years.
Had to borrow the Nagant from my 11 year old. The 1903 has some cool history, and the little Spaniard was just too good to pass up about 20 years ago.
All shot well and I did enjoy the time!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220227/a7b2bb7cf67ca448da4e361f64114547.jpg

cwtebay
02-27-2022, 12:00 AM
Those Stevens tip up pistols are neat! I seem to remember Hawes selling a replica of those in the 1970's? Neat .25 and .32 there too, cwtebay!

Sent from my SM-A716U using TapatalkThank you!
The longer barreled tip up is a bit odd, with modern 22 short cartridges you have to force it closed and it engraves the rifling on the bullet. It seems to be made for CB caps or something similar.
Nevertheless, it's always fun to bring out and plink off of the deck with.

cwtebay
02-27-2022, 11:16 AM
That's a nice accumulation, cwtebay! All appear in great condition.

DGThank you!
Those tip ups are a hit for summer time BBQ's. Set up small steel spinners and shoot for points. Nice change to corn hole and horseshoes.
The Savage design is one that should be resurrected imo, crazy accurate and almost perfect for instinctual shooting.
The 'lil Colt is my black tie carry gun, very fun!

cwtebay
02-28-2022, 01:06 AM
One more to finish out the weekend.
I think that I finally have a load that works for the French lady!296861

Der Gebirgsjager
02-28-2022, 11:49 AM
Mike Venturino was big on the French pistols, and if I remember correctly one like yours was his first handgun. If you do some digging and research (not necessarily here) you should be able to turn up some of his old articles discussing the gun and loads. Or even attempt to communicate with him directly. I've never owned one myself, but other than the odd cartridge that they use I've only heard good things about them.

Here's an Astra 400, similar in concept to the Savage. Who influenced who's design is always a matter for debate. This one is 9mm Largo, but they did make a .380 model, smaller, scarcer, more expensive.

DG

cwtebay
02-28-2022, 05:30 PM
Mike Venturino was big on the French pistols, and if I remember correctly one like yours was his first handgun. If you do some digging and research (not necessarily here) you should be able to turn up some of his old articles discussing the gun and loads. Or even attempt to communicate with him directly. I've never owned one myself, but other than the odd cartridge that they use I've only heard good things about them.

Here's an Astra 400, similar in concept to the Savage. Who influenced who's design is always a matter for debate. This one is 9mm Largo, but they did make a .380 model, smaller, scarcer, more expensive.

DGMike V has a pretty good write up about both of the MAS pistols and (like pretty much everything else I have read of his) is excellent.
I have dug around through Jack First and Numrich before for the item- but will definitely try again!

Texas by God
02-28-2022, 10:41 PM
The FN1900 by the bed was Teddy Roosevelt's choice as well. DG, you know I like Astras and I'd definitely latch on to a.380 or .32 (model 300?) if found!