PDA

View Full Version : Air Force for a college grad

farmbif
02-11-2022, 07:30 PM
well I know there are lots of vets and military folks here maybe could educate me on this is this a good thing for kids these days. my youngest daughter, 27, has a bachelors degree and is thinking of joining the Air Force
my old partner from the boat yard had 37 years mostly at wright pat and he passed away several years ago. he made quite an impression upon her.

Wolfdog91
02-11-2022, 07:35 PM
The air force is great. I went army when I was 17 did split training though high school and don't get me wrong I loved it for the most part but after talking to AF folks it's a completely different world. Remember going to the AF bases while deployed and wend be looking around like where where win the upper class neighborhoods where all the rich folk lived while we where sleeping in 100' long tents that flooded when it rained and where fighting rats all the time lol. Good times ,gooooood times

BMW Rider
02-11-2022, 07:38 PM
HS friend of mine got thier bachelors degree and then joined the Navy. After serving they went back and got an MBA with the assist from the GI Bill. Combined military experience and degrees were an enormous asset to them in their career, put them way above the competition in all the jobs they applied for.

Omega
02-11-2022, 07:44 PM
I'd say let her go for it, I'm retired Army, but would recommend the AF for benefits, and like mentioned above, a better way of life for the most part.

Jim22
02-11-2022, 07:50 PM
The young lady will learn a lot - no matter which branch of service. And it will serve her well afterwards. I am a bit concerned about the 'Woke' nature of today's military but even so she will become part of a team, learning what that brings and what it detracts. Sounds like a smart cookie.

Jim

skeettx
02-11-2022, 07:57 PM
Good plan
What BS does she have?
What career field does she want in the Air Force?
ENSURE she get commissioned (Officer)
Thanks
Mike

farmbif
02-11-2022, 07:59 PM
BS in biology, micro biology,

MUSTANG
02-11-2022, 08:04 PM
Successful Service selection will depend on the nature of the person if they want a "Good Fit". Next is what discipline area the person is looking for and what is important to them personally.

If one is looking for "Better Accommodations & Lifestyle"; the US Air Force is the way to go (as alluded to in previous posts.

If one is looking for Travel and Challenge; the Navy in a rate for Sea Duty is the best choice.

If one is looking for Tradition, a narrow discipline (i.e. Infantry, Artillery, Engineers (both building and blowing up), .... then US Army.

Looking for an emerging opportunity in HIGH TECH; then Space Command is the way to go.

I have left the Marine Corps out as I am not sure most (almost all) Marines decided logically on the Corps, it's more like it was a lifelong calling somewhere down in the soul or back of ones mind.

What one wants to do - Most will say Air Force if one wants to Fly; but in reality we have many - many pilots and air crew in the Navy, Army, and Marines. Engineering, Computer Sciences, Logistics and Transportation, Languages, Intelligence, Telecommunications/IT/Databases/Artificial Intelligence, and .... there are opportunities in all the Services.

My recommendation for a young person wanting to consider a Military Career outside of the above: Heavy exploration into Space Command as a potential career; there will be tremendous career opportunities there.

I would also say - Do not forget the Coast Guard, lot's of opportunity and flexibility there that most people do not realize.

MUSTANG
02-11-2022, 08:06 PM
BS in biology, micro biology,

If she wants to stay in that arena - Navy, Army, or Air Force in that order.

skeettx
02-11-2022, 08:15 PM
https://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/biomedical-laboratory-officer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_Specialty_Code#Medical_2

gunseller
02-11-2022, 08:15 PM
I might have went air force if it weren't for the fact I wanted jump school. Army was the best route for that. Besides where else could you learn to get 2 hours sleep leaning against a tree in a jungle. I would say encourage her to join . Air Force is a good choice. It will be a new world and her experiences will last a life time.
Steve

Rich/WIS
02-11-2022, 08:22 PM
She should, orperhaps she has, check with each service recruiter to see what MOS's are in her field and then decide. Back in the 70's the Army had an MOS titled "Scientist/Engineer" where soldiers with those degrees would go from Basic straight to a lab or R&D facility. Had a bunch of troops in that MOS when I was at ARADCOM in Picatinny Arsenal.

NY_Treeguy
02-11-2022, 10:15 PM
Dad had 36 years in AF/National Guard. He said it was the best thing he ever did.

The Guard unit local to me has a medical unit and medical research.

Handloader109
02-11-2022, 10:17 PM
27, kinda old in my opinion for the military. But just my opinion. I started to go into the navy duringcollege, but got married and backed out. I missed Vietnam by a couple of years, and was too old for Desert storm era. My nephew went into the Air force when he was 20 after he got out of community college. Was a Fueler on the kc135. Hurt his back, which was no wonder as he's 6ft2 and was 185 or so and had to get into pretty cramped area in rear to operate the boom. They mustered him out and he got really lucky and became a civilian contract trainer. Makes probably double what he would be making as a military person. Government has been good to him.
Tell her to go for it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1hole
02-11-2022, 10:21 PM
IMHO, a hitch in uniform is easily as valuable as a university degree, probably more in most respects.

In my day it was often said that, "The service made a man out of that guy" and, just as often, "The service ruined that guy". In reality, both winners and losers, the military simply gives everyone some rapid opportunities to become what they are able or prone to become.

Three of my grandsons wanted to be Marines. Two did it, the third one eventually followed me into USAF. The two Marines learned how to live ruff, how to kill people and blow things up - now they wish they had a marketable skill. But, my airman first became a flightline "fireman", then a combat medic, then a forward observer - he had no trouble finding a good paying job.

The services are all good. But, their long range needs vary so possible jobs vary and opportunities to advance will vary. Tell your girl to investigate officer level work fields and pick a service that needs what she brings to the table. Bottom line, if she picks a service that can let her add pressurized hands-on work experience to her expensive book learning she'll never regret it.

M-Tecs
02-11-2022, 10:43 PM
After 32 years total in the Airforce/Air National Guard I am somewhat biased.

Reality is that the pointer end of the spear that you are the more expendable you are. That translates directly in how you are treated and educated.

I do not know enough about the Space Force to comment, however, if I was just going enlisting, I would look first at the Space Force. The Airforce would be a very close second followed by the Navy than the Marines. I don't recommend anyone joins the Army unless they really really really want to play with things like artillery or they want a Warrant Officer Helicopter slot (don't need a degree for that).

Depending on what she wants to get out of it the Air National Guard is also a very viable option. For travel with the AF/ANG I have been to every state except for Alaska, Washington State and Oregon. Been to most of Europe, some of the sand box, Panama, Columbia and Peru.

I am more than willing to talk directly with her is she wants.

rockshooter
02-12-2022, 01:06 AM
also look into the high-demand MOSs- the news says that some of the recruiters are talking big money bonuses for certain fields. I second some earlier advice- be sure she can turn that degree into a commission.
Loren

Winger Ed.
02-12-2022, 01:19 AM
It's a commitment for sure.
People that don't want to serve with all their heart usually don't do well, or are miserable.
Those that do are the ones who tend to shine and grow from their time on active duty.
For a commissioned Officer-- above all else, they're going to be looking at, and for leadership abilities.

45workhorse
02-12-2022, 01:48 AM
Hey fly boy (girl) get off that plane and follow me, I am Marine Corps infantry! Yep! just a little biased

Good luck to her in whatever she chooses!

Rcmaveric
02-12-2022, 03:32 AM
Well... her doors are open for sure. Any service is better than none. I am partial to Navy as i am still active for a few more years. Have her review the officer programs in each. Officers make good money but their retirement and advancement is way different. I am pretry sure her advancement to LT (O3) is pretty much guaranteed and she would make as much as an E7 (Chief).

I am lazy and dont care too much to be shot at. I went Navy and I like the water and fishing. Did not always work out as well as i planned though.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
02-12-2022, 03:40 AM
I went Navy and I like the water and fishing. Did not always work out as well as i planned though.

Used to know a guy who joined the Marine Corps to be a Grunt. Because as a kid, he liked going camping.
It didn't work out quite like he planned either.

CastingFool
02-12-2022, 10:48 AM
When I was in the Army Guard, I slept in GP medium tents, along with 9 other guys, during annual training. Then i transferred to the Air Guard. We stayed in hotels for annual training, 2 men per a/c room. We received per diem money, too. Ate at a different restaurant almost every night.

Winger Ed.
02-12-2022, 01:20 PM
Then i transferred to the Air Guard. We stayed in hotels for annual training, .

I had a buddy in the AF back in the 60s that said he was going to be stationed at one of the Air Force's front line bases
in Viet Nam after they got done building the base swimming pool, movie theatre, and PX.

We drifted apart, the war was winding down by then, I lost contact with him not too long after that,
and I was never really sure if he was joking or not.

MstrEddy
02-14-2022, 12:30 AM
OP, good on your daughter for wanting to join. By all means, with her bachelors, ensure she goes after a commission. I served over 38 years, both in the Marines and Air Force. Most of the time was Reserve. The biggest thing I'll say is to check what career fields are available and consider the commitment.
How is her physical fitness and discipline? Even though the AF is "weak" on PT, there are standards that have to be met. And is she OK with being sent "somewhere" not of her choosing?

Feel free to reach out to me, if needed.

GregLaROCHE
02-14-2022, 11:14 AM
Very much depends on the individual as to what is the best fit for them, if any military service. It’s a big decision especially at that age. There may be programs where the military would pay for graduate school in turn for service after completion.

jsizemore
02-14-2022, 02:16 PM
It's always better to be an officer in the military. Less chance of having to shovel manure. Or clean the latrine. Ya ain't even got to clean your own barracks. And ya make mo' money.

FISH4BUGS
02-15-2022, 04:38 PM
The Military is a perfectly honorable profession.
My late father (25 year full bird Colonel - Army) always said that if I join the Military I do so under ONE condition....that I am an Officer.
With her bachelor's degree, she can go in as an Officer. Make sure she does that.
I'm not sure which service is the best.
I enlisted in 1967 for Infantry - but got rejected - blind in one eye and flat feet - so I can't say which service is the best one way or the other.
Have her look at the benefits and take advantage of them as much as she can.
She should get her MBA courtesy of Uncle Sam. Work her way up the ladder.
20 and out? Maybe. 30 and out? Maybe
But retired at 47 or 57 sounds good to me.

Battis
02-15-2022, 06:16 PM
My son just left the AF after 8 years (Captain). He's going into the Air Guard. Deployments can be tough if you have a family (twice). They treat the officers well. I would have liked to go on a ride-along but...

WRideout
02-15-2022, 09:14 PM
I will second (or fourth or fifth) the recommendation to get a commission. My first three year enlistment in the army, I served as an enlisted medic. In the seventies, one was required to say you hated the army; still had some draftees then. After I got out and graduated from college, I joined the CA Army National Guard. Then I had an opportunity to go to state Officer Candidate School. I was actually enjoying the experience so much, I stayed in for twenty, and retired out of the reserve component.

Things she can get out of her military experience: Everyone is a trainer, and she will become quite proficient at it. Everyone is a leader, which seems to be something employers still want. She will most certainly learn a lot about logistics, engineering, aviation, and process planning.

A few years ago, the daughter of a close friend came to me for advice about career options. She was a young person, rather adrift after not doing well in college and not finding a job right away. I told her to talk to every military recruiter, and see which one would make the best offer. A couple of weeks later she called and said the Navy had offered her, after basic training, a one year course at a civilian school to become an operating room technician in return for a six year hitch in the Navy Reserve. She took the offer, and it literally changed her life.

Wayne

William Yanda
02-16-2022, 12:51 PM
A few years ago when my son asked me about the National Guard as a source for financial assistance completing college, I told him that I didn't trust our nation's leaders. He opted not to join. I was one of the last draftees and finished my career with the Army Reserve. It was what bought our house and now I have the retirement. The medical insurance value is about half of the monthly income.