PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a 856 3"

ddixie884
02-11-2022, 02:32 PM
I read somewhere this Taurus has a longer ejector rod than most 2" and 3" small defense revolvers. Please share you experiences.

I have never owned a Taurus but I am reading some good things on line. Of course you can't always trust people doing reviews. Sometimes they are trying to curry favor and a 200rnd test on a new gun is not representative of actual use.......

FergusonTO35
02-11-2022, 03:28 PM
I love my 2" 856 and would recommend it to anyone. The factory trigger pull is stiff, but responds really well to a trigger job and reduced power springs. Accuracy wise it does as good or better than any other snubby I've ever tried. Mine is the steel frame, I may pick up an aluminum example to go with it. From pics I have seen, the 3" version looks to use the same ejector rod length.

Four-Sixty
02-11-2022, 07:29 PM
I have the 3", blued. The rod is not long enough for fired cases to fully clear the cylinder.

Trigger pull is heavy. May do something about that, but it is more of a carry gun to me than a range toy.

The hi viz front site is great! Comes with a second steel sight you can swap out.

Oh, I have XL hands. I can barely get my three fingers under the trigger guard and on the grip. Just got it Friday, so have not shot it yet.

jrayborn
02-14-2022, 05:08 PM
I have an 856 2" stainless model. I really like it but it had one small issue as received. In double action shooting, after the first two or three rounds were fired, the weight of the cylinder with un-fired cartridges made the cylinder rotate in reverse far enough that it would re-strike the previously fired case. Basically it unlocked the cylinder too soon in relation to when the hand engaged the ratchet on the cylinder and it would rotate backwards just enough to catch the hand on the earlier fired charge hole. Made it seem like a misfire or two from each cylinder. Not a good condition for a S-D handgun.

I fixed it and it is a very reliable and accurate handgun now. I like it.

Four-Sixty
02-19-2022, 01:19 PM
Jrayborn,

Can you describe how you fixed it? I have 300 rounds through mine, and if I put 3 bullets in the chamber next to each other, then index it, pulling the trigger slowly it will rotate in reverse. Is this normal, or a sign of an issue? Note, the other 3 chambers are completely empty.

The trigger on mine is smoothing out nicely. Really, really, liking it.

jrayborn
02-19-2022, 02:06 PM
Jrayborn,

Can you describe how you fixed it? I have 300 rounds through mine, and if I put 3 bullets in the chamber next to each other, then index it, pulling the trigger slowly it will rotate in reverse. Is this normal, or a sign of an issue? Note, the other 3 chambers are completely empty.

The trigger on mine is smoothing out nicely. Really, really, liking it.

Yes that sure sounds like exactly what was happening to mine.

My fix, and please understand that getting replacement parts for a Taurus is nothing at all like getting them for a Ruger or a S&W so I lean toward being cautious. I am telling you this because what I did is to remove material (file it) from the front of the hand in order to allow it to protrude further "forward" toward the ratchet on the cylinder. I only removed material on the surface that is below the top of the hand that touches the ratchet. If you look at the hand, it is somewhat similar to an upside down capital "L". Remove material on the leg under the top. Its hard to describe, but if you look at the hand and see the forward vertical surface that touches the frame its easy to see how to remove the material and allow the hand to protrude further out of the frame toward the ratchet. The farther out it protrudes, the sooner it "catches" the ratchet. Its actually easy, file a bit and test it. I actually took off more than I initially considered necessary but I went slow and tested often. The first test showed improvement and it just got better as I went until I got it to work perfectly.

I certainly hope this helps you.