View Full Version : The real gunsmith YouTube channel

Wolfdog91
02-10-2022, 11:22 PM
Found this guy a while a go seem like someone alot of y'all would enjoy

https://youtu.be/pBDm41duCTo

https://youtu.be/ga726pMA6Fc

M-Tecs
02-11-2022, 12:33 AM
I will bend over backwards to help someone in need. Trolling posts not so much.

Wolfdog91
02-11-2022, 12:47 AM

???

MrWolf
02-11-2022, 10:27 AM

Wolfdog91 is far from being a troll. He posted something he thought others would be interested in. Think you may have meant something/someone else.

trebor44
02-11-2022, 11:16 AM
Interesting videos, some pretty good old time information. I liked the "long range" comments!

GhostHawk
02-11-2022, 11:30 AM
Well I've watched enough of the first video to tell that this particular gunsmith sure seems to know what he is talking about.

No troll. But a good honest informative video that no doubt will help many here providing they take the time to watch it and learn from it.
That is my 2 cents worth and I'll quit there.

Electrod47
02-11-2022, 11:37 AM
Wolfdog, Your a fascinating younge with a honest heart Keep it up

VariableRecall
02-11-2022, 12:56 PM
I'm subscribed to this channel as well! He does a great job of de-mystifying various concepts related to accuracy and things like that.

sparky45
02-11-2022, 01:32 PM
Way off base M-tecs.

farmbif
02-11-2022, 02:01 PM
I was just thinking about all the people who are making a living talking about guns, reloading, ammo, shooting, hunting, etc, etc, etc. on youtube that in a previous life maybe had a little shop, or group of hunting buddies or maybe even nothing but a real bad addiction to shooting guns and stuff.
im not sure how it works but ive been told there is money to be made by posting stuff on youtube if you get a bunch of folks looking at it.
I'm not saying anything about the real gunsmith except I'm not familiar with any folks who go hunting with traditional "match" bullets or try to make 600 yard shots at deer or anything else

dverna
02-11-2022, 02:40 PM
I watched the first video. Everything he said could have been covered in 5 minutes. I will not waste my time watching the second one.

He criticized people for making long shots...shots he makes routinely it appears. He told us of the lack of energy to execute clean kills at long range and how hard it is to read the wind, barometric pressure and temperature effects, then brags about taking and making long shots. I nearly stopped at about the 11 minute mark when he described making a hip shot on an elk as it was the only shot he had....and then lectured about hunting ethics near the end of the video.

I am with M-Tecs about this "real gunsmith".

Walks
02-11-2022, 03:18 PM
Nothing My dad didn't teach Us by the time were were 10yrs old. I believe even in the early 1960's Sierra cautioned against using Matchkings for hunting.

M-Tecs
02-11-2022, 04:19 PM
I watched the first video. Everything he said could have been covered in 5 minutes. I will not waste my time watching the second one.

He criticized people for making long shots...shots he makes routinely it appears. He told us of the lack of energy to execute clean kills at long range and how hard it is to read the wind, barometric pressure and temperature effects, then brags about taking and making long shots. I nearly stopped at about the 11 minute mark when he described making a hip shot on an elk as it was the only shot he had....and then lectured about hunting ethics near the end of the video.

I am with M-Tecs about this "real gunsmith".

Same for the BS on the Sierra bullets. The "real gunsmith" apparently isn't smart enough to read on the box the intended application. Sierra has always stated that their match bullets are NOT designed for use on game. They have a complete line of Gameking bullets for that application. I have to be honest I barely made it through the first and I did not watch the second video. Based on the first a better title would be "the real BS"er" or "the real idiot" or maybe "the real bubba".

As to the OP I have responded and assisted him on many issues. I believe the OP is way too smart to believe this type of BS. I do think he is trolling us on posting junk videos to trying to elicit various responses. And yes, there is a difference between being a troll and trolling.

M-Tecs
02-11-2022, 04:24 PM
Nothing My dad didn't teach Us by the time were were 10yrs old. I believe even in the early 1960's Sierra cautioned against using Matchkings for hunting.

They did in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's & 20's. My guess is they will do the same in the 30's". The "real Bubba" can't follow simple direction yet he wants to direct us...............while hip shooting and lecturing us about ethics. Babba Maxximus at his finest

What is sad is some apparently cannot see thru the BS and they buy it hook, line and sinker.

Hannibal
02-11-2022, 04:31 PM
I've watched a few minutes of a few of his videos and I have enough questions about the information he puts out that I wouldn't recommend them any more than socialization at the local coffee shop.

As to trolling I don't know the OP and this is the first time I've seen him on the forum but his choice of words are......... interesting.

Winger Ed.
02-11-2022, 05:13 PM
I watched a bit of the first one.
He'd be a neat old guy to hang out and visit with. As far as his advice, ahhhhh,,, maybe not so much.

dverna
02-11-2022, 06:07 PM
M-Tecs,

I wish we had a like button.

Wolfdog91
02-11-2022, 06:16 PM
Same for the BS on the Sierra bullets. The "real gunsmith" apparently isn't smart enough to read on the box the intended application. Sierra has always stated that their match bullets are NOT designed for use on game. They have a complete line of Gameking bullets for that application. I have to be honest I barely made it through the first and I did not watch the second video. Based on the first a better title would be "the real BS"er" or "the real idiot" or maybe "the real bubba".

As to the OP I have responded and assisted him on many issues. I believe the OP is way too smart to believe this type of BS. I do think he is trolling us on posting junk videos to trying to elicit various responses. And yes, there is a difference between being a troll and trolling.

Egh not really. Personally don't really like the guy. Just not my cup of tea. The who "the best has been made already " and his whole view on long range hunting ,just egh. But from listening to him and his age and seeing the general make up of the forum ,what can I say figured y'all might enjoy videos from someone like him.
I mean not really sure what ya reckon I get outta alot of y'all's responses.

Wolfdog91
02-11-2022, 06:17 PM
I've watched a few minutes of a few of his videos and I have enough questions about the information he puts out that I wouldn't recommend them any more than socialization at the local coffee shop.

As to trolling I don't know the OP and this is the first time I've seen him on the forum but his choice of words are......... interesting.

Well now I'm curious lol

Red River Rick
02-11-2022, 06:17 PM
Dverna:

Just above the first post, on the right hand side, there is a "Rate This Thread" tab. It's not a "Like" button, but it does allow members to rate the thread.

Mal Paso
02-11-2022, 06:23 PM
No commercials so he's probably doing the show for free. I think the highlight was the birds flying past the window in the background.

M-Tecs
02-11-2022, 06:29 PM
Egh not really. Personally don't really like the guy. Just not my cup of tea. The who "the best has been made already " and his whole view on long range hunting ,just egh. But from listening to him and his age and seeing the general make up of the forum ,what can I say figured y'all might enjoy videos from someone like him.

Do you really have that low of an opinion of the members here? Posting videos of people like Erik Cortina (per your posts I know you watch him) is both Educational and interesting. Erik Cortina is an F-Class and PRS national champion. There are lots of video on YouTube that are done by people that have actually been there and done that and they have the championships to prove their abilities and techniques. Bubba Maximus videos not so much.

I mean not really sure what ya reckon I get outta alot of y'all's responses.

entertainment

farmbif
02-11-2022, 06:35 PM
I saw some youtube of this guy Paul Harrell I think his name is, thought his stuff was pretty entertaining and guy seems to know what he's talking about.

yeah, I was just checking and in some of Pauls bullet tests he uses "the new and improved high fleece bullet stop" lol lol lol

like I say very entertaining

Shawlerbrook
02-11-2022, 06:43 PM
YouTube content can be very informative, very entertaining or very annoying. I think we all are knowledgeable enough to decide on the quality. I don’t think the young man meant anything wrong by the posting. I have spent many enjoyable hours listening to old timers spin yarns that were tangentially factual.

Finster101
02-11-2022, 06:47 PM
For me, this guy was just way too boring. I don't hold that against the OP. I have enjoyed many of his threads.

M-Tecs
02-11-2022, 06:48 PM
Normally I don't post junk video's and yes it is JUNK, however, it is a perfect illustration of what a HACK Bubba Maximus is. Apparently in addition to not being able to read Seirra bullet boxes he doesn't know how to use a dial indicator or a straightening fixture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB1KfwffqHM&list=UUb07l-N2LqZ2YG7cNrOJc2Q&index=52

farmbif
02-11-2022, 07:08 PM
when I was young I had the pleasure of knowing and helping out at his shop a very talented gunsmith and expert trap and skeet instructor, Marvin Williamson owner of lakeshore gunsmith in north east Louisiana RIP Marvin. what I learned from that experience will be with me the rest of my days. unfortunately there are not so many really great gunsmiths as there once were.

Wolfdog91
02-11-2022, 07:09 PM
Do you really have that low of an opinion of the members here? Posting videos of people like Erik Cortina (per your posts I know you watch him) is both Educational and interesting. Erik Cortina is an F-Class and PRS national champion. There are lots of video on YouTube that are done by people that have actually been there and done that and they have the championships to prove their abilities and techniques. Bubba Maximus videos not so much.

entertainment

Well dont really think Eric's videos would be proper for this fourm honestly. Over on accurate shooter yeah sure but here , dosent really seem like it. Most casters I've talked to both hear and in various other facets just don't deal in the level if stuff that his videos entail. I've been told many times that trying to implement what he does to cast is just a mute point. Which makes sense. Just as a general, at least how it feels to me ,and I may be completely wrong here most people here just aren't into all of that.
This guy however. I mean at least to me ,and mabye it's just my young age speaking here , came across as a pretty knowledgeable person. Older fella with alot of years under his belt and though opinionated as all get out I honestly felt like he was fairly legit. And I watched ,I think at least ten for twelve of his videos. Again he comes of as very experienced though again very opinionated though I fee he makes valid points. Again not my cup of tea. And it's hard for me to see anyone as a " Bubba Maximus" I firmly believe you can learn something from everyone. However I don't believe what every old guy with a lathe will tell me 100% out right. And I've never said I believe everything he says. Honestly I find a good bit of some of it as , I don't want to say wrong but very ABC=D type of thinking which is a big turn off for me. Then again I'm 24 , I'm not a gunsmith only messed with lathes and the like a few times . Actually wouldn't mind being a gunsmith apprentice one of these days, but not for somone like him. Think our personalities wouldn't mix but I digress on that lol. Mabye I'd see things differently if I was like one of y'all. But I'm not.
However I still find what he says extremely interesting.
And as far as an low opinion.... I'm honestly not sure how to respond to that . I mean if shrink something I honestly thought someone might enjoy is a sign of that I guess ?
And entertainment. I'm sorry but reading a bunch of comments of people ripping on someone who's just trying to share their knowledge inst very entertaining to me. I mean reading thought the comments on the post dealing with gunblues casting safety video honestly gave me a head ache more then anything. Honestly being a content creator my self I generally don't like seeing that.
But yeah honestly felt like this guy would be somone y'all would enjoy but guess not.

Wolfdog91
02-11-2022, 07:21 PM
And just to make things clear I don't feel you should take everything you see on YouTube or the internet as the God's honest truth or " Haaayyy ! He's making videos so he should know exactly what he's talking about !" Like no no lord NO! I feel you should watch things and if you see something you think you wanna try or some advice you wanna take you should go around and do some foot work yourself. Prime example Eric's video on using CLR as a carbon remover . Yes the guy is a national championship yes the dude builds custom FClass guns yes he's probably way better at everything gun related then me but I sure as heck did some foot work and read around before I started swabbing my bore with the stuff.
Honestly the second somone else calls them selves a pro or expert I'm on high alert.
It's like trappers who call them selves " wolfers" no one calls them selves that , you put in enough work and prove you self till your peers grant you that title but again I digress

KenH
02-11-2022, 08:00 PM
Hang in there Wolfdog - I've seen enough of your posts to know there was no "trolling" in mind when you posted the links.

RKJ
02-11-2022, 08:37 PM
I didn't watch the videos so can't speak about that guy, but I've read enough of Wolfdogs posts to make an opinion and he seems like a decent guy to me. I thought he posted the vids to be helpful and then he gets his butt handed to him for doing so. Maybe some of you guys need to lighten up.

Finster101
02-11-2022, 08:52 PM
I didn't watch the videos so can't speak about that guy, but I've read enough of Wolfdogs posts to make an opinion and he seems like a decent guy to me. I thought he posted the vids to be helpful and then he gets his butt handed to him for doing so. Maybe some of you guys need to lighten up.

I agree. I watched part of the first video and thought this guy ain't for me and went on my way till I saw all the hoopla. I suppose some folks think if they don't like it, nobody should like it. As far as content, I learned a long time ago that just because someone is old and has been doing something for a long time doesn't mean they are an expert on it. There are a lot of guys on here that post stuff I don't agree with and some want to put everything they do out for all to see. In general, I try to just read things and go along.

farmbif
02-11-2022, 08:55 PM
judge for yourself when you watch a youtube video. here is one of a guy who was a real expert not only with knives but he did some outstanding gunsmithing in his time too.
compare his demeanor with other videos you might have seen.
in my opinion this is one of the better videos ive seen on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kV3kHo6z_c

M-Tecs
02-11-2022, 09:51 PM
judge for yourself when you watch a youtube video. here is one of a guy who was a real expert not only with knives but he did some outstanding gunsmithing in his time too.

That is an excellent point and a very good video by one of the giants in knifemaking. Thanks for posting.

M-Tecs
02-11-2022, 10:00 PM
I agree. I watched part of the first video and thought this guy ain't for me and went on my way till I saw all the hoopla. I suppose some folks think if they don't like it, nobody should like it. As far as content, I learned a long time ago that just because someone is old and has been doing something for a long time doesn't mean they are an expert on it. There are a lot of guys on here that post stuff I don't agree with and some want to put everything they do out for all to see. In general, I try to just read things and go along.

It's not about thinking if "they don't like it, nobody should like it". This site is geared to sharing information to learn or to teach. That really only works well when the information is factual/correct.

When that information is not correct it should be called out for the BS that it is. That applies to anyone or anything that is posted --- same standards apply to myself. If I ever post garage like that without with a disclaimer I one have one thing to say to the people calling me out and that is a huge THANK YOU! for helping me get my head out of my rear. Same for videos. Spreading incorrect information is not good for this site or the shooting sports in general.

Mal Paso
02-11-2022, 10:06 PM
Wolfdog91 asked a valid question and the response was a little strong to a member that has been here a while. No, The Real Gunsmith isn't very good and needs a script.

The YouTube of The Real Gunsmith straightening a rifle barrel by beating it on a log was most instructional. By the 12th strike and it wasn't getting any better I had to turn it off, couldn't watch any more.

There was a TV show called McGyver where the main character pulls off amazing saves and most of the people I talk to are amazed. NONE of them had the scientific background to know that McGyver's tricks were utter garbage and not one would have worked in real life. Not everybody knows the difference.

almar
02-11-2022, 10:30 PM
What randy talks about makes sense to me and he has alot of experience. Alot of the "new" arc this and prc that is marketing bs in my opinion. I met this idiot at a range with his litlle 6.5 something saying that he wont take a shot at game under 1000. Well that *** could learn a thing or 2 from this fellow. Ive been listening to his video for years and he can be preachy at times but thats all fine as long as the sum total is a step forward.

Hannibal
02-11-2022, 10:46 PM
Well now I'm curious lol

Curious about what exactly? I work in an industry where problems are described on computer. Generally speaking, if the grammer, punctuation and syntax are poor then it usually turns out that the individual who made the entry either isn't completely competent or is simply using the medium to display their posterior and intentionally cause a disturbance.

As this is my first encounter with yourself and your posts I am referring to previous encounters. I'd like to think I'm wrong about your intentions because there are definitely no shortage of Evinrudes in the septic tank here or anywhere else.

M-Tecs
02-11-2022, 11:34 PM
Wolfdog91 asked a valid question and the response was a little strong to a member that has been here a while. No, The Real Gunsmith isn't very good and needs a script.

The YouTube of The Real Gunsmith straightening a rifle barrel by beating it on a log was most instructional. By the 12th strike and it wasn't getting any better I had to turn it off, couldn't watch any more.

There was a TV show called McGyver where the main character pulls off amazing saves and most of the people I talk to are amazed. NONE of them had the scientific background to know that McGyver's tricks were utter garbage and not one would have worked in real life. Not everybody knows the difference.

No questions were asked in the original post.

As the using the log, wack and hope method for straightening that is not the first it I have seen or heard of it being recommend by the Babba Maximus types and probably won't be the last. On shotgun barrels it tends to dent them using a log. At least it did on the ones I had to remove the dents and properly straighten. For that method tires or shot bags removes the risk of denting.

The real issue is that on bent barrels they normally are not bent in a true radius. They tend to have more of a kink that has the bent sections and straight sections. On rifle barrels if you don't use a spin fixture in conjunction with an indicator to determine that you are only working the bent sections and not the straight section you end up with a wave pattern of small bends. To properly straighten you need three points not just the high point. The beginning and the end of the bend points are where the supports of the bending fixture are placed. The more stress points you create the more possibility of have POI walking issues.

Shotgun barrels are somewhat different since they mostly are done by using the light pattern inside the barrel to gauge straightness. With rifle barrels the rifling makes using light patterns impossible for me. I have heard people claim they can but they have skills or vision I don't.

Bending straight shotgun barrels to bent is also common to change point of impact. With a shotgun barrel walking is normally not an issue. One of our members built a nice fixture here https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?372348-Shotgun-barrel-bending-jig-change-POI He did a nice job and I believe he is deserving to the title "Craftman Maximus"

This is a commercial machine that illustrates the technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjL39WqFuFY

sigep1764
02-12-2022, 03:28 AM
M-Tecs, as the kids say these days, You Have No Chill. Ease up on WolfDog. He has provided some good insight, asked thought provoking questions, and provided some good video on his ongoing projects. He is not a troll and he is not trolling anyone. Please stop going down this road of personal attack you are on. That is not the goal or creed of this forum. Also, cool video you posted above.

Jimmynostars
02-12-2022, 04:50 AM

Thanks for the link, what a pleasure to watch made me smile a number of times with his casual explanation of his exceptional skill. A real craftsman

M-Tecs
02-12-2022, 04:56 AM
M-Tecs, as the kids say these days, You Have No Chill. Ease up on WolfDog. He has provided some good insight, asked thought provoking questions, and provided some good video on his ongoing projects. He is not a troll and he is not trolling anyone. Please stop going down this road of personal attack you are on. That is not the goal or creed of this forum. Also, cool video you posted above.

I never stated Wolfdog was troll. I did question if he was trolling for entertainment. Most of the people here are guilty of that on occasion. If you replied on the "Let's Go Brandon" thread you like have been trolling. Being a troll and trolling are different. Please show me where I made a personal attack on WolfDog? He says he wasn't trolling and I take him at his word.

You are correct that I do not have any chill for people like the guy in the video that make claims like all Seirra Bullets are junk when the reality is he is using a product outside of the manufacture's recommendations. I have never shot Big Game animals with Seirra 168/175 Matchking nor do I see a circumstance that I would ever select that bullet for that app. I have maybe 20K down range with either M852 that is loaded with168 grain Seirra Matchkings or M118LR that is loaded 175 grain Matchkings. They are superb for their intended application.

I do know people in the Military and LE that have used both bullets on humans. They stated sometimes they acted much more like a varmint bullet (particularly with a headshot) or sometimes they acted more like a FMJ. Here's what Seirra has to say about using that bullet for big game hunting.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/30-caliber-7-62mm-175-gr-hpbt-matchking/
While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications. Although MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are commonly used for varmint hunting, their design will not provide the same reliable explosive expansion at equivalent velocities in varmints compared to their lightly jacketed Hornet, Blitz or Varminter counterparts.

The Seirra bullet example is just one of many in that video. You really think misinformation like that should not be called out particularly when people apparently are using them as educational videos?

Shawlerbrook
02-12-2022, 08:37 AM
This whole discussion reminds me of the larger discussion going on in our country about public comments in general and opinions dealing with the pandemic specifically. Some sites actually delete questionable content while others just post disclaimers. I tend to side with the free speech crowd and feel that you should have the ability to air your opinions even if they are incorrect. Justice Scalia used to say that freedom of speech is most important and needs to be protected especially when the speech is unpopular. Now no one here has curtailed Wolfdog or the YouTube guy’s speech. I just think that the problems with the video and it’s creator could have been pointed out in a more pleasant way to the young man. When I do or say something wrong( my wife would tell you it happens) I take the advice much better when it is presented in a helpful way rather than questioning my intentions or intelligence. And Let’s go Brandon !

myg30
02-12-2022, 10:48 AM
I was taught at a young age, “It’s not what you say, but how you say it”!

Some of the folks that make the videos might be liked because of their demeanor and the lack of unappealing music and hi-tec video editing.
Some may remind us of an old friend or relative we enjoy listening to.
The dry boring monotone dudes might be the smartest and give real proven info but we may be turned off by it.
Everything on the web should be taken with salt until proven otherwise, in my opinion.
Maybe that why some members have thousands of posts and others sit back and read with without comments and opinions. I got my butt chewed a while back on here because of a comment and decided then to PM members with my $.02 worth of advice and or opinion.
I value all the knowledge on here and other forums. I’ve always been the type to help others when I can, like most of you.

Mike

VariableRecall
02-15-2022, 04:29 PM
If anything, he has a different perspective within his realm of the firearms community. If anything, I certainly agree with his notion that you should not be hunting an animal past 400 yards. In my opinion, the goal of hunting is to bag the best animal as cleanly as possible. A long range target is stationary and doesn't have the same consequences as grazing an animal that's supposed to be put straight down.

dverna
02-15-2022, 04:47 PM
If anything, he has a different perspective within his realm of the firearms community. If anything, I certainly agree with his notion that you should not be hunting an animal past 400 yards. In my opinion, the goal of hunting is to bag the best animal as cleanly as possible. A long range target is stationary and doesn't have the same consequences as grazing an animal that's supposed to be put straight down.

Watch the video again. Write down the yardages of his kills. Of course, he is above following his own recommendations because he is to much better than others.

I have no use for unethical "hunters" who shoot at the hip of an elk...and brag about it.

Frankly, I am shocked that anyone watches this guy. Must be a really low bar on Youtube.

JoeJames
02-15-2022, 05:28 PM
Nothing My dad didn't teach Us by the time were were 10yrs old. I believe even in the early 1960's Sierra cautioned against using Matchkings for hunting.I tried using 168 grain Matchkings in my 308 for deer hunting. It put one down, but I had to go ahead and shoot him in the head. From then on I used 165 grain Gamekings. They did the job.

Char-Gar
02-15-2022, 05:34 PM
We are living in a strange and often ugly time. Folks are disconnected and only relate to other via social media and boards like this. This allows their worse selves to come out from behind door and stand front and center, criticizing, questioning motives and in general being negative. When I saw the title of this thread without a hint what it contained, I knew the direction it would go. Putting others down is the new national sport.

reddog81
02-15-2022, 06:53 PM
Normally I don't post junk video's and yes it is JUNK, however, it is a perfect illustration of what a HACK Bubba Maximus is. Apparently in addition to not being able to read Seirra bullet boxes he doesn't know how to use a dial indicator or a straightening fixture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB1KfwffqHM&list=UUb07l-N2LqZ2YG7cNrOJc2Q&index=52

At least the video provides some comic relief! You could condense the video down into a minute, put it in black and white and you've have a great slapstick comedy about gunsmithing.

That is an impressive level of "Real Gunsmithing".

M-Tecs
02-15-2022, 10:06 PM
At least the video provides some comic relief! You could condense the video down into a minute, put it in black and white and you've have a great slapstick comedy about gunsmithing.

That is an impressive level of "Real Gunsmithing".

A clown nose and clown shoes with a horn would make your version perfect. It could be titled "Real Bubba Gunsmithing" starring "Bubba Maximus" in the lead role.

almar
02-15-2022, 10:52 PM
We are living in a strange and often ugly time. Folks are disconnected and only relate to other via social media and boards like this. This allows their worse selves to come out from behind door and stand front and center, criticizing, questioning motives and in general being negative. When I saw the title of this thread without a hint what it contained, I knew the direction it would go. Putting others down is the new national sport.

We can all see that this unfortunately the case. Sad.

M-Tecs
02-15-2022, 11:10 PM

Recently a member on this forum posted the video of "Gunsmith of Williamsburg (1969)" Every comment of very positive. That tends to happen when you post a quality video. Garbage tends to get called out for what it is.

Yes, we are live in strange and often ugly times when anyone with a smart phone can post on YouTube in hopes of fame and fortune. Lots of people write books but (unless they self-fund) most don't get publishing for a variety of reason but the most common being they are not very good. Unfortunately there is not a check and balance on posting on YouTube. Some are very good most not so much.

Folks that have 300,000 subscribers on YouTube make around $6,000.00 a month. Money and fame makes people stupid. Several people have died going very stupid things in hopes of getting views for money and fame.

Cute is always good for views as is unique. The ugly side is stupid gets huge amounts of views. We have created a race to the bottom not a race to the top. People used to be ashamed and embarrassed to be filmed acting in a stupid manor. Today it is a badge of honor and it is normalizing stupid. Just look at a large part of today's TV commercials. They feature the clueless acting in a clueless manor to target a specific market. The new national sport appears to be racing to the bottom.

I've fully admit I have only watched 2 1/2 of "The Real Gunsmith" videos. They were full of outright misinformation, bubba practices and do as I say not as I do BS. Maybe I have selling him short? Does he have one that is a quality video that someone with average ballistics knowledge, hunting experience or mechanical skills and abilities could learn from without laughing at him?

MrWolf
02-16-2022, 10:06 AM
Pretty sure when powder coating was first being discussed and tried here, a lot of folks where putting it down and laughing at those trying something new. I agree with Char-Gar's comment. Seems to be the new trend versus allowing others space to express their thoughts and to learn new ideas. Really is a shame.

country gent
02-16-2022, 10:24 AM
So far all of the internet and you rube is let the viewer beware, always has. There is nothing that says a video has to be factual safe or anything else. ( For awhile there were several showing 50 bmg being fired from 12 gauge shotguns). Have watched machining videos with machine operators wearing gloves, watches, rings, long sleeve shirts, necklaces, reaching under heavy parts supported on a hoist or pry bar. All no-nos in industry but shown on you tube.

Its up to the viewer to determine whats right works is safe and is correct. May of these sites are sponsored and supported by people and industries. Like companies whos polices we dont like boycott the sponsors and supporters, and make it known to them and why.

Wolfdog posted a video he found that he thought would be interesting is all. Its up to us to decide how to use the information.

JoeJames
02-16-2022, 10:50 AM
I will take a look at it. Won't hurt nothing to watch it. At my age I kind of doubt I'd pick up any new bad habits - already got plenty. One thing concerning gunsmithing videos. I have gotten hooked on the Mark Novak gunsmithing videos, and learned a few things.

dverna
02-16-2022, 10:53 AM
Pretty sure when powder coating was first being discussed and tried here, a lot of folks where putting it down and laughing at those trying something new. I agree with Char-Gar's comment. Seems to be the new trend versus allowing others space to express their thoughts and to learn new ideas. Really is a shame.

Your analogy of PCing to the criticism of the first video posted (the only one I endured) is not a good one...in fact it is poor. "Allowing space" has limits. When something is wrong (like hip shooting an animal), it does not deserve "space". And the standards get higher when a person presents themselves as an "expert".

It is one reason I do not give Fauci "space". He has a higher standard to meet than the pretty lady on the 6:00 news. And he has shown either gross negligence or incompetence starting with his "work" on HIV.

I have been permitted so much "space" I should be thankful, but I am not. I am a deplorable, a bible thumper, gun nut, bitter clinger, white supremist, Nazi, racist, homophobic, and on and on and on. I love the "space" others have given me.

When information that is questionable is posted I will NOT give it space. It will be "called out". If I am wrong, and they have merit I want to know what I missed. I will not become PC (politically correct). I suspect much of the "support" for the videos are due to being PC and inclusive instead of judging content.

Mal Paso
02-16-2022, 11:17 AM
So The Real Gunsmith should get a woke award for participating?

I am happy that Wolfdog91 started this thread and thought M-Tecs response a little harsh, at first.

Firearms is the last place you want bad information. If your feelings are hurt, tough, take up knitting.

farmbif
02-16-2022, 11:43 AM
ok, I watched half of him straightening barrel, uuummm, I never went to gunsmith school, but have straightened a few shafts, or attempted to and it was not done b y striking it against a tree. it was done in hydraulic press with v blocks, straight edge and starrett indicator attached to magnetic mount. everyone has their own way of doing things and the guy that bent barrel on fancy Weatherby, yeah if you can afford that Weatherby I'm sure you could afford to send it back to Weatherby to get it repaired properly, that's what I would have done anyway.
another thing I noticed, now mind you in my past life I owned and ran a boat repair business and knew many others in the business, and what I noticed as with gunsmiths I had known or visited over the years is that the ones that seem to do the best work, had successful businesses and have the best reputations keep their shop clean and tools and equipment are tidy and well organized, there are no shelves full of unorganized tools kept in a haphazard fashion.

JoeJames
02-16-2022, 12:04 PM
I watched part of a video by The Real Gunsmith on working up loads. I have been working up loads for a long time. I thought he gave pretty good general information which would be of benefit to a beginning hand loader. I did not find any faults in his recommendations. I did not see anything in it that gave me cause for alarm - unlike a video I saw on bullet casting by a another feller which was plumb sceery - his setup and his methods were almost guaranteed to blow lead.

MrWolf
02-16-2022, 12:34 PM
Your analogy of PCing to the criticism of the first video posted (the only one I endured) is not a good one...in fact it is poor. "Allowing space" has limits. When something is wrong (like hip shooting an animal), it does not deserve "space". And the standards get higher when a person presents themselves as an "expert".

It is one reason I do not give Fauci "space". He has a higher standard to meet than the pretty lady on the 6:00 news. And he has shown either gross negligence or incompetence starting with his "work" on HIV.

I have been permitted so much "space" I should be thankful, but I am not. I am a deplorable, a bible thumper, gun nut, bitter clinger, white supremist, Nazi, racist, homophobic, and on and on and on. I love the "space" others have given me.

When information that is questionable is posted I will NOT give it space. It will be "called out". If I am wrong, and they have merit I want to know what I missed. I will not become PC (politically correct). I suspect much of the "support" for the videos are due to being PC and inclusive instead of judging content.

That is the nice part about our site. You have an opinion and I have mine. I am not opposed to looking at others views whether I agree with them or not. I will not critize someone for posting something I do not agree with as it is their right, just as it is my right to decide what is right or wrong for me. I don't want this to degenerate into arguments so I won't comment further.

farmbif
02-16-2022, 12:44 PM
the way I see it is when you post a video on youtube, you are thrusting yourself upon the public eye, much like a politician running for public office. and you open yourself up to criticism , some may like and appreciate what you have to say and others may be hyper critical and be severely opposed to the hairs in your eyelashes or some other trivial thing or could be what is in the message could be interpreted as being deadly dangerous advice, put that's part of living in a free society where everyone is entitled to their own opinion and is free to express such.

reddog81
02-16-2022, 01:57 PM
Wolfdog posted a video he found that he thought would be interesting is all. Its up to us to decide how to use the information.

Correct and if someone wants to point out it's a terrible video that should also be allowed.

Hannibal
02-16-2022, 01:59 PM
The constitutional right to free speech is wildly misunderstood and getting worse all the time.

The constitutional right to free speech prevents the government from imposing penalties or civil sanctions on citizens based upon what they say or write. It doesn't give anyone the right to go around saying anything they want anywhere they want to anyone they want anyway they want.

The constitutional right is a protection of citizens from the federal, state, local and municipal government from punishing the citizen based on what they say. It does NOT give citizens the right to go around spouting anything that pops into their head.

Wolfdog91
02-16-2022, 02:52 PM
This is still going.....dang thought it would have died by now, man I'm starting to regret posting this stuff

farmbif
02-16-2022, 03:15 PM
ok I guess this was response to what I wrote.
constitutional right to free speech? yes it does give you the right to express your opinion of what someone else says. though it does not give anyone the right to slander others.
or is there something I'm missing or misinformed about.
in fact, youtube has a comments section where viewers can express comments about videos posted to the site.
it does not give anyone the right to post outright lies about others. that could lead to situation where people get sued in civil court for slander and might lose lots of money.

JoeJames
02-16-2022, 03:43 PM
This is still going.....dang thought it would have died by now, man I'm starting to regret posting this stuff

Hey man, thanks for posting it. Added it to my library, in a manner of speaking.

M-Tecs
02-16-2022, 03:46 PM
Correct and if someone wants to point out it's a terrible video that should also be allowed.

That pretty much covers it.

Shawlerbrook
02-16-2022, 03:53 PM
This discussion reminds me a little of an earlier discussion of someone complaining about sellers in the S&S section asking for USPS money orders only for payment. There were many different opinions, but the one that made the most sense, at least to me, was if you don’t like using money orders just ignore the sale. Ignore, but don’t criticize those that want to get paid that way. Same with YouTube or any other content, for that matter. I will add that I didn’t watch any of the videos, but that was my choice. Life is too short to get a burr under your saddle about everything you don’t agree with. Especially these days. I do think this discussion is past it’s expiration date. Again, just my opinion and maybe not even worth two cents.

PS, nothing wrong with critiquing the videos, but I think the OP did not have bad intentions or deserve any criticism. Again, just my cent and a half.

M-Tecs
02-16-2022, 08:17 PM
Now on the opposite end of the spectrum. This is just an overview video about Turnbull Restoration & Manufacturing on "How It's Made". He has done some detailed videos that are very educational but they are not on YouTube that I can find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqdmgZqSXiQ

M-Tecs
02-16-2022, 08:28 PM
I will take a look at it. Won't hurt nothing to watch it. At my age I kind of doubt I'd pick up any new bad habits - already got plenty. One thing concerning gunsmithing videos. I have gotten hooked on the Mark Novak gunsmithing videos, and learned a few things.

I watched a 1/2 dozen of his videos. What a novel concept. No misinformation, BS or bubba methods just someone that actually knows what he is doing. Thanks for posting

RKJ
02-16-2022, 08:57 PM
I can accept the finding fault with what's call 'Misinformation' but to say the guy was Trolling was over the top to me. Again, it seemed he found something he liked, thought others would like it and then got jumped on for posting it. I haven't watched the videos (any of the ones posted) and still think some of you need to lighten up and give it a break. I'm going to.

M-Tecs
02-16-2022, 10:10 PM
I can accept the finding fault with what's call 'Misinformation' but to say the guy was Trolling was over the top to me. Again, it seemed he found something he liked, thought others would like it and then got jumped on for posting it. I haven't watched the videos (any of the ones posted) and still think some of you need to lighten up and give it a break. I'm going to.

On the troll issue you are correct. I do owe Wolfdog91 an apology. My original comment was based on a mistaken belief Wolfdog91 was the OP for another junk video posted recently. I mistakenly thought Woldog91 had posted a couple of garbage videos recently and it made me wonder why. I didn't check until now and I see I am the one that was mistaken.

So, to Wolfdog91 I was wrong with the trolling comment.

Multra
02-16-2022, 10:49 PM

It seems you didn't watch or pay much attention to the first video he linked.

Mal Paso
02-17-2022, 12:34 AM

WOW! Thank You! I was in this man's shop 50 years ago as an apprentice to his photographer. There was a waiting list for his knives even back then. Any over runs were quickly snatched up, he had a drawer for them, mostly empty. My photographer friend traded work to get one of his knives, a drop point, and I got my friends old birdseye Mora.

He also blueprinted semi auto pistols if I remember right. A real craftsman!

414gates
02-17-2022, 05:47 AM
Anyone who has guided and hunted for half a century carries more weight for me than any keyboard jockey.

I'm a fan. The name may draw ire from other gunsmith, but it's just a name. If your name is Real John.... are all the others not real?

The responses by people to his long range hunting opinions and bullets selection is a filter for me to recognize who actually knows what they are talking about, or just typing online for some self validation.

owejia
02-17-2022, 09:35 AM
The video of straightening a rifle barrel is really old school. Having spent about half of my life as a machinists there are many different ways to skin a cat[straighten a gun barrel] no high dollar presses and equipment required. Enjoyed the video because this guy thinks outside of the box!!!