PDA

View Full Version : Post War M&P 38

Kevinakaq
02-10-2022, 10:34 PM
Was in a local pawn today and they had the following pistol. I have a couple model 10’s and a 64, but no m&p revolvers. They would take 500 otd….thoughts? I read a lot about these C serial number versions and am debating if worth it as there are quite a few variables (all help identifying the particulars appreciated)…as is all original could fit in my collection nicely but not on my short list either. I am back home in Florida and can pick this up tomorrow and then back to Iowa.

Thanks for any and all help fellow enablers.

Dan Cash
02-10-2022, 10:42 PM
You could start a significant collection of those revolvers based solely on the shape of the hammer spur. $500 seems a bit high but the gun does look nice. If it is tight, screws not buggered, I would buy it. If you pay too much, just wait a couple years and the market will catch up. I have a couple that I have had for long and hope to life long enough to see the market catch up.

Outpost75
02-10-2022, 10:51 PM
For a C- prefix transitional model, pre-1957 in nice condition, price is current market. I paid that 2 years ago for a 1948 date of manufacture in similar condition.

cwtebay
02-10-2022, 10:52 PM
If it's in good condition, that's not unrealistic. Buy it and shoot the tar out of it!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Der Gebirgsjager
02-11-2022, 11:18 AM
I think it's a little over priced, but that's how pawn shops operate. When considering a purchase I always emphasize condition, as there are literally hundreds of thousands out there in lesser condition that will never get better. Like Dan Cash said, eventually the market value will catch up if you hold it long enough. I think I'd buy it.

DG

VariableRecall
02-11-2022, 01:28 PM
I think it's a little over priced, but that's how pawn shops operate. When considering a purchase I always emphasize condition, as there are literally hundreds of thousands out there in lesser condition that will never get better. Like Dan Cash said, eventually the market value will catch up if you hold it long enough. I think I'd buy it.

DG

I don't meant to be rude, but you may want to consider the price of a comparable factory new S&W revolver, which may have the advantage of being brand new, but has the disadvantage of lacking the attractive features that are not being produced anymore. From their website, S&W's new take on the Model 10 only features a Bull Barrel and retails for about $750.

Considering that you could be getting a revolver that actually contains the features you want at $500, I'd consider yourself quite lucky. Given the nigh pristine finish, I'd say that qualifies the price. But, like any other used revolver, you should be allowed to thoroughly inspect it before making your final decision.

Being honest, the revolver for sale has more of the features that I'd been looking for in an S&W Model 10 than my own! Sure, I still have the essentials of a pinned, tapered barrel and a Square Butt, but I would have loved to pick one up that has the classic style of hammer! I had picked up my revolver for $450. It was in pristine internal condition but has a very heavy amount of holster wear in all the places that matter most visually. I still love my revolver dearly, but I'd say you're getting a square deal if it's internally solid.

Char-Gar
02-11-2022, 02:12 PM
Price is fine. Buy it if you want it. Don't buy it if you don't want it. What I would do or not do is irrelevant to you. See how easy this is.