PDA

View Full Version : Sizer is causing a ridge in the gas check

Helka
02-10-2022, 09:22 PM
I recently got a 22cal mold from MP and using my own gas checks I’m finding that my Lee 225 sizer is leaving a pretty prominent ridge in the gas check. Haven’t shot them yet so I don’t know if this is an issue yet. The Lee sizer stem only measure 221. Is that proper? Shouldn’t it be bigger considering it’s sizing 225

If sizing bottom first it domes the gas check.

Here is a picture of the ridged gas check

Red River Rick
02-10-2022, 10:23 PM
Yes, the stem should be as close to the internal diameter of the sizing die as possible. 0.2245" would be ideal.

Wheelguns 1961
02-10-2022, 10:29 PM
Noe sells push rods. You may be able to get one the correct size from them. I would try to shoot them first. As long as the ridge is the same size all the way around, I would think that they would be fine.

Helka
02-10-2022, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys. I do have a line on someone that can manufacture a stem for me. But don’t know his price yet. I may reach out to Lee to find out what the stem should be. Maybe I got the wrong stem.

Can anyone measure their 225 Lee sizer stem for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slughammer
02-10-2022, 10:43 PM
How big is that gas check shank before and after you powder coat?

Have you considered gas checking before you powder coat?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Wheelguns 1961
02-10-2022, 10:47 PM
I would measure one if I had one. You could size a bullet, and measure it. You will need to subtract a little for springback, maybe .0005. I think Red River Rick is probably right on for the size. I would call Al at NOE. He is very knowledgeable and a nice guy. He probably has one on the shelf that will work just fine. Good luck! Hope this helps.

Helka
02-10-2022, 10:54 PM
I don’t have a bullet that isn’t powder coated but I measured it powder coated and it is about .215.

Rcmaveric
02-11-2022, 12:30 AM
They will shoot fine. I have that problem when i dont seat the gas check all the way. Tap the nose with a rubber mallet. Use a gascheck seating die or expand the gas check. You can also run then through your Lee sizer die base first. If you run them through sizer die base first, might get a concave base enstead of a convex. Wither way they will shoot.

One of the reasons why i had gas check maker dies made. So my gas checks actually fit. Its hard for mass produced gas checks to be able to fit all the different bullets.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Helka
02-11-2022, 11:26 AM
Sorry didn't mention these are my own gas checks not commercial ones. I reached out to my friend who made me the gas check to see if he can make a 224 stem for me. we will see. I checked NOE and they don't have any seating stems on their site for 22 cal. It may require a phone call/email.

Forrest r
02-12-2022, 10:13 AM
Perhaps your bullets have too much pressure being exerted on them when sizing?

I would see the same thing from time to time on different bullet bases and gc's. The issue I was having was the bullets casted big & the pc coating made them even bigger. I was sizing the cast/pc'd bullet down too much in 1 pass (+/- 5/1000th's) and it made rings on the bullet bases and gc's like what you posted in your picture.

I ended up sizing the bullets and then pc'ing them to get rid of the issue. Now I never size anything more than 3/1000th's in 1 pass.

Helka
02-12-2022, 12:51 PM
I may try that. Size then PC and size again. I do have my friend making me a new stem.

megasupermagnum
02-13-2022, 04:43 PM
Just a shot in the dark, but try running a bullet wiped with Imperial sizing wax, or whatever your sizing lube is, through the die 2-3 times.

littlejack
02-14-2022, 10:54 PM
Also, if the pushing stem has a radius around its perimeter, the gas check will swage down around it. Ask me how I know.

Helka
02-14-2022, 10:56 PM
Also, if the pushing stem has a radius around its perimeter, the gas check will swage down around it. Ask me how I know.

I think that’s what’s happening

littlejack
02-15-2022, 10:32 PM
:drinks: