PDA

View Full Version : Info on inherited older cast bullets

Trigger71
02-10-2022, 08:27 PM
I was given 500 each of High-Tech (not Hi-Tek) 160gr round nose, and Precision Bullet Co. "High Silver content for accuracy" 150 and 180gr. HP cast. I cannot find any info on them online. Anyone know the hardness or anything else about these?

Thumbcocker
02-10-2022, 09:13 PM
I don't know about those specific boolits. I would be more concerned about the diameter and type of lube myself.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rbuck351
02-11-2022, 12:37 AM
I don't know anything about them but I would load a few with an expected velocity of 1500/1800 depending on case size and work my way up until accuracy goes south. Measure them first and slug your bore to make sure they are a good fit. Then back down a bit below where accuracy went away and shoot them. Knowing the hardness isn't as important as how they perform.

Winger Ed.
02-11-2022, 02:02 AM
Precision bullet Co. is still around.
The other one may be some outfit that's come and gone.

JimB..
02-11-2022, 05:12 AM
Commercial cast are always plenty hard.

Jsm180
02-11-2022, 08:35 AM
I have a tub of about 500 44 cal 240 gn SWC Keith style, hand written label, bought over 30 years ago. They were looking pretty rough so decided to boil the lube off and powder coat a few. They melted in the oven. Still trying to determine what I have, but they may end up as jig heads and sinkers.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-11-2022, 10:22 AM
Trigger71,
welcome to the forum.

Don't get wrapped around the axle about Hardness. If a commercial manufacturer sold 'em, they are good to go. Load 'em and shoot 'em.

If you are new to loading cast bullets, consider reading a good cast bullet reloading manual, like the Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th Ed, as there are different things to consider when loading cast, than loading Jacketed bullets.
Good Luck.

Markopolo
02-11-2022, 10:37 AM
Trigger71,
welcome to the forum.

Don't get wrapped around the axle about Hardness. If a commercial manufacturer sold 'em, they are good to go. Load 'em and shoot 'em.

If you are new to loading cast bullets, consider reading a good cast bullet reloading manual, like the Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th Ed, as there are different things to consider when loading cast, than loading Jacketed bullets.
Good Luck.

What Jon said!!!

Finster101
02-11-2022, 10:56 AM
I have a tub of about 500 44 cal 240 gn SWC Keith style, hand written label, bought over 30 years ago. They were looking pretty rough so decided to boil the lube off and powder coat a few. They melted in the oven. Still trying to determine what I have, but they may end up as jig heads and sinkers.

Don't know what it is but it should not have melted at 400 degrees.

waksupi
02-11-2022, 01:40 PM
Don't know what it is but it should not have melted at 400 degrees.

Ovens will go to 500+.

Finster101
02-11-2022, 01:41 PM
Almost all PC calls for 400, hence my comment.

Jsm180
02-11-2022, 02:00 PM
Ovens will go to 500+.

425 is about all this oven will do, it was set to run 400.

Trigger71
02-12-2022, 01:47 AM
Thanks all. I was certainly going to give them a try and asked about hardness to avoid leading. Loading them for 10mm, and was worried bout velocity. Also, since many measured .3995, it isn't an ideal fit. I think I'll load these light not knowing a lot about them.
I also was donated a couple molds and handles. My friend and I are just beginning and enjoying the process--makes for a great Saturday morning. Looking forward to reading more threads!

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-12-2022, 11:26 AM
Fun Fact:
Probably the most common cause of Lead fouling is...
undersized hard alloy bullets pushed with a light load (creating a gas blowby condition).

It's a myth that a soft alloy will cause Lead fouling. A bullet has to fit the barrel. If the static bullet is too small to fit, but is given enough of a load to expand/obturate during launch, so it fits the barrel, then no lead fouling will occur. The harder the alloy, the larger the load needed to obturate it.

rintinglen
02-13-2022, 01:41 PM
Fun Fact:
Probably the most common cause of Lead fouling is...
undersized hard alloy bullets pushed with a light load (creating a gas blowby condition).

It's a myth that a soft alloy will cause Lead fouling. A bullet has to fit the barrel. If the static bullet is too small to fit, but is given enough of a load to expand/obturate during launch, so it fits the barrel, then no lead fouling will occur. The harder the alloy, the larger the load needed to obturate it.

Absolute truth! The harder the boolit, the harder you have to kick it in the rump to get it to expand.

gwpercle
02-14-2022, 02:58 PM
Free boolits is Free Boolits ... CHOOT EM' !

Hard boolits will not stop leading ... they have to fit ...size trumps hardness .

A undersized hard boolit will lead a barrel like all git-out ...trust me .

Measure diameter and use them in a barrel that they fit .
Gary

Trigger71
02-15-2022, 09:24 PM
Also, since many measured .3995, it isn't an ideal fit.

So how small is too small? I will slug my barrel for an exact measurement.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-16-2022, 10:18 AM
So how small is too small? I will slug my barrel for an exact measurement.

In regards to boolit Obturation, what size is too small is a question no one can answer, but you.

Half way through this chapter, gives a more detailed explanation than I did.
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_3_alloySelectionMetallurgy.ht m

bruce381
02-19-2022, 03:20 PM
me I would melt them and start over