PDA

View Full Version : Lowest powered 22 RF

cwtebay
02-09-2022, 07:53 PM
I have a Smith and Wesson #1 that I enjoy shooting occasionally. I have had a supply of black powder shorts that I have used in it, but that supply will soon be exhausted. Does anyone know of BP 22 Shorts available? If not, has anyone reloaded newer shorts with BP?
Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

JimB..
02-09-2022, 10:45 PM
I thought that the 22 short CB was a primer only round…that work?

cwtebay
02-09-2022, 10:54 PM
I thought that the 22 short CB was a primer only round…that work?I believe that you are correct, but when I have shot them from say a Stevens, they seem a bit snappier than the older ones I have. I may just have to give one a try!
I was also thinking Flobert rounds - but WOW! They are proud of them!
Beggars should definitely not be choosers.

tunnug
02-09-2022, 11:47 PM
Try the Aguila Colibri, they are primer only, no powder, colibri is spanish for hummingbird.

cwtebay
02-09-2022, 11:55 PM
Try the Aguila Colibri, they are primer only, no powder, colibri is spanish for hummingbird.They won't fit in the cylinder.
Sounds rude on re-read. They protrude from the business end of my cylinder.
Appreciate the thought.

JimB..
02-10-2022, 12:29 AM
I believe that you are correct, but when I have shot them from say a Stevens, they seem a bit snappier than the older ones I have. I may just have to give one a try!
I was also thinking Flobert rounds - but WOW! They are proud of them!
Beggars should definitely not be choosers.

Floberts, that there is a rich man’s solution.
If you need a few of the CB shorts to try let me know and I’ll see if I have any.

John Boy
02-10-2022, 01:22 AM
No and No

uscra112
02-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Try the Aguila Colibri, they are primer only, no powder, colibri is spanish for hummingbird.

Colibri will foul your chamber something awful, in just half dozen shots. Hard deposit just at the case mouth that is very difficult to remove. Been there.

cwtebay
02-10-2022, 02:13 AM
Colibri will foul your chamber something awful, in just half dozen shots. Hard deposit just at the case mouth that is very difficult to remove. Been there.You know, I think you are right. We were trying some through a suppressed bolt action. While it sounded like a mouse farting through cotton - 25 rounds completely filthed the suppressor. Generally takes around 250 regular 22 non plated to do that.

P Flados
02-10-2022, 02:50 AM
If you are willing to do some tedious work, reloading shorts is possible.

There are a couple of bullet molds out there.

If you want non-corrosive, consider the EPH-20 mix that is popular for primer reloading plus a small amount (I would start with say one LPP cup) of fast burning fine grain powder on top. Test in a modern gun until you find a powder charge that seems about right.

cwtebay
02-10-2022, 02:54 AM
If you are willing to do some tedious work, reloading shorts is possible.

There are a couple of bullet molds out there.

If you want non-corrosive, consider the EPH-20 mix that is popular for primer reloading plus a small amount (I would start with say one LPP cup) of fast burning fine grain powder on top. Test in a modern gun until you find a powder charge that seems about right.I had thought about that, and even have the priming compound. But, I was more entertaining the thought of pulling the bullet and replacing the powder with ffg and replacing the bullet.

Bigslug
02-10-2022, 09:56 PM
The CCI 29gr/710 part number 26 CB load seems to be about as gutless as one could hope for the old Smith. Anybody know if that's effectively dialed back from the old BP loadings?

LAGS
02-10-2022, 10:59 PM
I reload some of my .22s also .22 shorts.
I have loaded them with my homemade BP.
They work well.
My reloading set up came with a mold for two bullets.
I like the smaller cone pointed one for reloading the 22 shorts

cwtebay
02-10-2022, 11:04 PM
I reload some of my .22s also .22 shorts.
I have loaded them with my homemade BP.
They work well.
My reloading set up came with a mold for two bullets.
I like the smaller cone pointed one for reloading the 22 shortsWhich reloading system did you start with?

LAGS
02-11-2022, 03:13 PM
The simple 22 Reloader kit and Prime All priming compound.
I just use scrap lead to cast the Boolits.
I did buy there sizer die for my press.
But I hardly ever us it on fired cases , only the ones I pick up that look bent.
I mix the Prime All by Weight , not by Volume as the kit comes.
That makes H48 priming mix.
I also have found better results mixing the Prime All compounds to F42 mix.
It only uses three of the chemicals instead of 4 like H48.
Again , mix it by weight.
You can find primer compound mix info on the Net.
I also use very Thinned down nail polish on top of the priming compound for a sealer to keep the compound in place

NSB
02-11-2022, 03:17 PM
Years ago I bought BB caps and used them. Just a round lead ball and no powder. Don’t know if they make them anymore or not. I killed a ton of rabbits with them.

uscra112
02-11-2022, 06:24 PM
The simple 22 Reloader kit and Prime All priming compound.
I just use scrap lead to cast the Boolits.
I did buy there sizer die for my press.
But I hardly ever us it on fired cases , only the ones I pick up that look bent.
I mix the Prime All by Weight , not by Volume as the kit comes.
That makes H48 priming mix.
I also have found better results mixing the Prime All compounds to F42 mix.
It only uses three of the chemicals instead of 4 like H48.
Again , mix it by weight.
You can find primer compound mix info on the Net.
I also use very Thinned down nail polish on top of the priming compound for a sealer to keep the compound in place

Thanks. Maybe you could post a link about the primer mixes? I'm eventually going to be reloading .25 Stevens.

Eddie Southgate
02-11-2022, 07:19 PM
RWS CB or BB caps are what I used to use as a kid . Shot them in the house by hanging two layers of old carpet inside a box and taping the target to the box . Plenty accurate across a room and will kill small animals at short distance . Pretty much everything I ever read said they were the only safe thing to shoot in those guns . I used them in a #1 and also in a Lady Smith as well as in single shot rifles . They ain't cheap now days but they never were I always preferred the bb's.

P Flados
02-11-2022, 08:00 PM
A couple of good resources for primer compounds are:

https://aardvarkreloading.com

https://mewe.com/group/5ffcbdeadbcef71f84e867ef

Here on cast boolits, use of EPH 25 for reloading SPP is the topic for:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?434882-Making-Sparkplugs-My-first-100-primers

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?437558-Primer-Reloading-Pics-and-Tips

LAGS
02-11-2022, 08:09 PM
I found my compound mixes on Northwest Firearms site

P Flados
02-11-2022, 08:15 PM
Deleted

cwtebay
02-11-2022, 09:29 PM
Thanks. Maybe you could post a link about the primer mixes? I'm eventually going to be reloading .25 Stevens.You know, ndnchf has great videos on YouTube! And is a frequent contributor here as well as a wealth of knowledge!
He and I share a love for making old RF fire.

https://youtu.be/MeQcElAGCBE

Thin Man
02-12-2022, 01:07 PM
The CCI 22 Short CB rounds are stronger than most people would believe. Several years ago a friend brought his .22 rifle to me for cleaning and scope adjustment. The rifle was a Browning automatic in 22 Short only, made in Belgium. He brought his supply of CCI 22 Short CB ammo for testing. Huh says me, these won't cycle the action. I loaded one in the chamber and fired it. At the sound of the shot I heard the action cycle and the empty case came out of the action. I then found out the trigger had reset so I repeated the load-fire process and got the same result again. Next I loaded 3 rounds into the magazine and fired all 3 semi-auto style without any problems. That got me wondering if my Winchester 74 in 22 Short only could do the same thing. Loaded that rifle and it fired and cycled exactly as intended. Short summary, the CCI 22 Short CB ammo is much stronger than that round by other makers was years ago.

Eddie Southgate
02-12-2022, 01:08 PM
I removed the link from my post . I did a scam search and you are correct it is a fake site. Just one I found when I did a search on CB/BB caps . AS always , check them out before you send them any money . A search of "Is tactical World Legit " came back with multiple negative hits. Should have done that before I posted it.