PDA

View Full Version : My New old Broom(handle)

Dan Cash
01-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Here I am, giddy with glee as I now posess a nifty Broom handle Mauser. This was not on the shopping list but it followed me home. I am an experienced hand loader but this is a new one for me with cast. Any suggestions for loads and techniques appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Dan Cash

kingstrider
01-19-2009, 05:33 PM
I have always wanted one of those myself. I'd like to see a pic of two..

EDK
01-20-2009, 03:24 AM
I have always wanted one of those myself. I'd like to see a pic of two..

I have wanted a 9 mm broom handle with a shoulder stock for almost 50 years....one of the neighbors had one when I was about 10...a war souvenir and probably not legal at the time. Watching Clint Eastwood hosing the area with one in the movie JOE KIDD always reminds me. Some long defunct outfit in California(?) had them in the 70s/80s...chinese imports inspected, repaired and shined up. Not even close to my price range then.

My info is that the broomie needs fairly warm loads...and taking it apart can be a hard lesson!

Neat toy

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

missionary5155
01-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Good morning
I have 3 with stocks.... I will get back as the wife just called for breakfast... HOt oatmeal, bananas, some Juice...
God Bless you Mike

missionary5155
01-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Greetings again
Ionly have used Unique with mine. The 85 and 100 grain boolits seem to operate the .30 Mauser action about the same. I start with 5 grains Unique in one shell and fire it and keep adding .2 grain until it functions. That then is my starting load for that PISTOLE. I then add .2 until accuracy gets worse. I did not exceed 6.6 grains (the bad bore).
My 120xxx has the worst bore and shoots OK at 25 yards (4" 85 or 100 grain) but also needs the most powder to do so. This one must have Boolits .313.
The 36,xxx has a NICE bore and shoots the 100 grain better. .311+ Works well.
The 23,xxx (Flatside) again has a nice bore and .311+ 100 grain is the better boolit.
WW works well no leading. Nver tried 50/ 50 as straight WW worked happily well.
Brass and loaded ammo is out there.
Do NOT use the TORKAREV ammo !!! You will damage your PISTOLE. I do not care what anyone says... I have seen Broken Mausers. You may get away with it for a while... But you are causing damage every shot.
There are others who shoot these. They are FUN. But do not try to hotrod it. Find what cycles the action and look for 2.5 -3" at 25 yards. Some may do better at higher FPS but I can getout a 41 mag for power or a 357 dan Wesson for tiny groups.
Mike God Bless you !

Dan Cash
01-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Thank you Mr. Missionary,
For those who are interested, I will try to get some pix up today if I can figure out how to do it.

Dan

leadeye
01-20-2009, 01:25 PM
+1 on everything Missionary said. The recoil springs and the bolt stop will not like heavy loads or tokarev ammo. Starline has excellent brass. I have fed mine a variety of loads using 100-110 grain bullets and have always had good feeding. I have used Bullseye and Unique powder but would like to try Titegroup. There are a few other posts further back on these fine pistols.:castmine: