PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checking after PC'ing issues.

Hanzy4200
02-08-2022, 10:41 PM
I picked up the Lee C309-150-F for the 30-30. I planned to powder coat, then gas check. Issue is, my gas checks will not seat correctly. A few are off kilter, and the rest or loose enough to partially spin or wiggle. In reading, I see some guys PC after gas checking. Or, can I get away with no gas checks at all with the powder coat? Will it be a problem as it's not a plain base design? I apologize if these are ignorant questions. While I've been casting for years, I do very little in the way of rifle bullets.

white eagle
02-08-2022, 10:46 PM
I almost always pc the check my boolits
not sure what problems you have but just use the ones you can successfully check and toss the undesirables in the pot and recast them
if you need a check on the boolit it is best to use one

nhyrum
02-09-2022, 12:02 AM
How are you seating the checks? I seat mine by running them through my lube sizer, without lube if I'm using PC.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

mehavey
02-09-2022, 09:00 AM
I planned to powder coat, then gas check. Issue is, my gas checks
will not seat correctly. A few are off kilter, and the rest or loose
enough to partially spin or wiggle . . . .To make sure I understand...
your are GC'g before PC'g, or after PC'g ?

popper
02-09-2022, 10:40 AM
I size the GC on first and then PC. Works fine. I do the tumble thing.

mdi
02-09-2022, 01:20 PM
When the bullet is PCed it becomes a bit larger. The GC shank portion is larger after PCing, too big, and I would guess the checks are going on crooked...

waksupi
02-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Check first,then powder coat.

FredBuddy
02-09-2022, 02:41 PM
I powder coat first, then apply the GC
(after I slighty flare it with my homemade
gizmo), using the Lee push thru sizer.

Even better, since I got a second Lee
150 mould in a box of stuff at auction,
I cut out the shank part and made the
mould a plain base. Sorta' crude, but
powder coated and sized .3108, they
are shooting accurately at 1800 fps out
of a marlin microgroove. More testing
with better weather.

Hanzy4200
02-09-2022, 03:15 PM
To make sure I understand...
your are GC'g before PC'g, or after PC'g ?

I am gas checking after powder coating. I attempted to seat the checks using both a Lyman lubrisizer as well as a Lee push through. I even tried .309 and .311 sizes to see if they would improve.

So is the consensus that the bullets I've already PC'ed are trash and should not be shot unchecked?

If the checks are centered, but are not 100% tight, will they still shoot decently?

mehavey
02-09-2022, 07:37 PM
What BRAND mould, and what brand of GC ?

charlie b
02-09-2022, 09:39 PM
I picked up the Lee C309-150-F for the 30-30. I planned to powder coat, then gas check. Issue is, my gas checks will not seat correctly. A few are off kilter, and the rest or loose enough to partially spin or wiggle. In reading, I see some guys PC after gas checking. Or, can I get away with no gas checks at all with the powder coat? Will it be a problem as it's not a plain base design? I apologize if these are ignorant questions. While I've been casting for years, I do very little in the way of rifle bullets.

You are using a size die to crimp them?

I seat the GC before or after depending on the bullet. My 210gn bullets a GC will not go on the bullet after PC, so I seat the GC and run it through the sizer before PC. Then again after.

The Lee 180 bullets I cast could be done either way. I frequently did the PC first, then GC simply because it eliminated a step. I compared accuracy and it did not matter what the order was. And, yes, sometimes it can be a pain to get the GC on straight. Especially if you bullets have a bit of 'flashing' around the base.

Do you have to have a GC with PC? Not at medium velocities (under ~1500fps). But, accuracy sometimes suffers. If you don't want to use GC's then get a mold for a bullet that does require them.

Hanzy4200
02-09-2022, 10:49 PM
What BRAND mould, and what brand of GC ?

Hornady .30 cal gas checks. Mold is in the first sentence of my post.

mehavey
02-10-2022, 07:18 PM
And the Hornady GC won't stay on the (Lee :shock: ) bullet even before GC'g?
(i.e., it isn't powder coating that's causing the loose gc fit)

GregLaROCHE
02-11-2022, 01:41 AM
Make sure your powder coat isn’t too thick and distorting where the gas check seats.