PDA

View Full Version : S&W 460 mag 500gr project update

Drilln
01-19-2009, 03:28 PM
I finally got my 500gr mold (almost a month wait for a in stock item from widners) and cast up some boolits. Learned a few thing on casting BIG bullets, mostly go HOT and be patient. Any way, I started loading up some test rounds (started way cold, think bunny fart loads) and it started to snow. My shooting range is under about 3 feet of snow now, so real accuracy testing will have to wait till spring, but pressure testing proceeded on. (BTW the bullets are weighing out at 488 grains after sizing, before final lubing, using straight WW) My BF loads started at 20 grains of Lil Gun (to cold and nasty to crono) were pleasant to shoot, BUT occasionally started to tumble, and leaded up my barrel bad. The leading problem was fixed by using Carnuba red lube over top the Liquid alox (the LLA doesn't cut it for these cannon loads apparently). The tumbling problem had me worried about my project's feasibility. But, being the bullheaded person I am, I pushed on, I am currently at 29 grains of Lil Gun, just starting to show pressure signs, so I don't think I will try any more. I have reached my goal of 1500 fps (haven't shot many over the crono, but what I have were all between 1470 and 1540 fps) with no signs of bullet instability out to 130 yards (my home range). being cold and windy without a good stable rest, I can't comment on accuracy, but the fact that I am getting nice round 45 caliber holes keeps me hopeful. Leading at these high end loads is more than I really like, but not enough to be a problem (plus I am going to try a harder alloy). To say that recoil is stout would be a understatement, but it is fun to shoot. When the snow melts so I can do some real accuracy testing, I will post my results.

BABore
01-19-2009, 03:51 PM
You might want to drop down and work that load back up come warm weather. Lil Gun is some touchy stuff with both max loads and temperature extremes.

44man
01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
I agree, the stuff does not come near my revolvers----EVER!

Drilln
01-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Since the ammo never does get a chance to get cold, I should be good untill it gets real hot out. (I shoot off my deck, leave the ammo inside, and step back in to reload and to warm up) And I am already operating a little below max, experiance also tells me that my accurcy load will be reduced from where I am now. But I do appreciate all the advice, being human, I do have a tendency to over look things some times.

Drilln

44man
01-20-2009, 11:53 AM
If you are shooting that boolit out of a S&W, it will break down the gun pretty fast. Recoil is the death of the Smith's.

Drilln
01-20-2009, 07:17 PM
The recoil isn't any worse than a lot of the factor stuff I have put thru it (the federal vital shocks with a 275 gr. barnes bullet has just as much if not more felt recoil and the brass shows more pressure signs thean the load I am playing with). I have heard some rumors of a few XVRs getting loose, but have yet to talk to anyone with first hand knowledge of it happening (thats not to say it hasnt or isnt happening). So far, I have to say that the XVR is built like a tank (OK maybe a light tank, but still a tank). If it doesn't hold up to what I want it to do, as long as I stay with in factor pressure specs, than I don't want to keep the gun any way. I have a feeling that by the time I could shoot this gun loose, I will have moved on to other projects and won't be shooting this one so much, so it won't be so bad to send it back to S&W under thier warrenty (to original purchaser--me) and have it rebuilt.