PDA

View Full Version : Powder from pulled bullets still good?

mjac
02-08-2022, 06:37 PM
I have quite a few loaded 44 mag cases with a lubed cast boolit that I will be pulling with an inertia puller. I expect to be able to reuse the components, however, I have question regarding the powder. It is known to be Unique power. Will I contaminate the powder when the boolit and powder comes to rest in the bottom of the inertia puller?

The plan is to only reuse these components in plinking reloads.

TIA for your advice/comments.

lightman
02-08-2022, 07:00 PM
I would say no, it shouldn't be damaged. Just make sure the powder is what you think it is.

Winger Ed.
02-08-2022, 07:34 PM
The powder doesn't know or care where its been stored.

I've 'unloaded' ammo before and re-used the powder without any issues.
I do however leave, and don't use any powder that's stuck to the boolit or flakes of its old lube.

A little bit of lube in there would probably be no big deal, I just don't do it.

45DUDE
02-08-2022, 07:40 PM
Make sure there is no lube in the powder also. You can sift it through a screen.

Baltimoreed
02-08-2022, 07:45 PM
If they are what you personally loaded and theres no doubt as to what it is I would say sure. I wouldn’t let any lube get into your measure as it would mess with the metering. I would wipe off and chuck what sticks on the bullet.

Green Frog
02-08-2022, 08:18 PM
Reloaders have a long history of using powder from pulled down military ammo, so as others have said, unless it’s noticeably contaminated (with lube for instance) I’d be willing to use it for non-critical loads such as for plinking or target practice. I probably wouldn’t want to trust it for self defense or even competition use, but that’s your call. How “clean” does it come out?

Froggie

mjac
02-09-2022, 11:31 AM
Yes, there is no question of the powder, the ammo was previously loaded by me and is Unique. Other than a kernel or two (flakes) attached to the boolit which I discarded, the powder is clean. It will eventually be used in plinking ammo only and never in my woods ammo.

As rare as Unique is in my part of the world, I'll save my virgin powder for the real thing.

Thanks to all.

Mike

Walter Laich
02-09-2022, 05:09 PM
I've done it throughout my reloading career (50+ years)

use it in competition, too

nary a problem