PDA

View Full Version : Another increase in powder prices

Chunky Monkey
01-19-2009, 02:43 PM
I finally got my RCBS 22-055-SP 22 Caliber boolits shooting good out of my Colt AR. I settled on 19 grains of H4895 over a Wolf small rifle mag primer. I got a pound of it the test with so I decided I would get an 8lb keg of H4895.

I've been looking for about a week or 2 as everyone has been cleaned out of powder. Anyhow I went into powder valley this afternoon and they have it but it's $9.00 more. Was $124.00 now $133.00.

Even worse yet, I also got an 8 lber of Ramshot TAC for my FMJ and it went up from $104.50 to $118.00.

Might as well not bitch. Won't do no good anyhow. :evil:

jdgabbard
01-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I am glad I bought a couple of jugs months before the elections. Everyone went crazy as soon as they saw Obama actually got elected. Guess I should have bought more tho now that I think about it.....

Matt_G
01-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Everyone went crazy as soon as they saw Obama actually got elected. Guess I should have bought more tho now that I think about it.....
Going crazy is the phrase for it. :lol:

Everyone is hoarding. They're scared to death of what BO and company are going to do.
Case in point:
A month before the election I was in a local Sportsmans Warehouse. The peg board behind the counter was full of handguns. There was only 4 or 5 empty pegs.
3 weeks after the election I was in the same store. There was only FOUR handguns left.
Of course they didn't have any powder or primers either.
The guy that runs the gun department in that store told me they get their shipments in on Tuesdays. (I was there on a Wednesday)
He said the day before they had gotten in roughly 180,000 primers; 36 cases.
They were GONE by the end of the day.
He said just ONE guy had bought six cases (30,000) primers.

Another sign is the fact that until a week or so ago, CBI in Colorado was so swamped with background checks it was taking over 24 hours to get approval to purchase a firearm.
I bought a gun on Thursday of last week. Check took a little over an hour, so it has gotten better.
That's probably because no one has any guns to sell!! :rolleyes:

RayinNH
01-19-2009, 05:15 PM
While some of that may be price gouging most is the costs of doing business. Every January, UPS shipping costs go up. Anyone that is in business has increased costs. Those increases that you pay to a business go to things like taxes, business insurance, healthcare for employees, vacation benefits, raises and so on. The person at the end of the line, you, gets to do the paying :(...Ray

JeffinNZ
01-19-2009, 05:20 PM
You are still paying less than 1/2 what it costs me for powder and further, the H4895 you are burning is made in Australia on my doorstep.

Chunky Monkey
01-19-2009, 06:12 PM
I understand but it's just that if I had ordered a few weeks ago it would have been cheaper. :groner:

I'm still gettin it delivered to my door for approx $18 per pound, which is cheaper than I can get it local with tax.

jdgabbard
01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
I would be perfectly happy with 18 bucks a pound. I personally get it for about 17 a pound, but I have to drive 15 miles back and forth to pick it up for that price. The difference is I can get it in 15 minutes, as opposed to an online order which would take days at the earliest.

GabbyM
01-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Also noticed yesterday while browsing online catalogs. Lyman molds have gone up about $5.
Happy New Year.

Down South
01-19-2009, 10:53 PM
I stocked up on most of the components that I use back during the summer anticipating the possibility that the election might go the wrong way but I never am able to figure in what I may want to change till I decide to do it. Now I find that I need a different powder for making a different load than I’ve been making so, I’ll bite the bullet so to speak and pay a higher price for a few pounds of powder. I have a Cabelas close to me and they have many of their powders on sale right now. Granted, Cabela’s sale price is still higher than Powder Valley’s regular price but I don’t have to pay the blasted Hazmat fee for a 4 pound keg of powder.

cohutt
01-19-2009, 11:13 PM
You are still paying less than 1/2 what it costs me for powder and further, the H4895 you are burning is made in Australia on my doorstep.

ADI

And we thank you for sending so much up to us

JIMinPHX
01-20-2009, 12:48 AM
I understand but it's just that if I had ordered a few weeks ago it would have been cheaper.

Be glad that you got it.

hammerhead357
01-20-2009, 01:03 AM
I was in the Sportsman's Warehouse in San Antonio around X-mas and over heard 2 of the employees talking about how their wholesalers were not extending them the same line of credit like they had been before the elections.
The shelves there were very bare and so were the gun display racks. Here they get shipments on Monday and people are standing in line to buy what comes in.
Yes it appears that people are afraid of the new president, and probably with correct feelings....Wes

JesterGrin_1
01-20-2009, 01:58 AM
All I can say is do not be in a hurry with Powder Valley I put my order in on Dec,29th lol. I have been going through a few problems from Powder Valley so I may look for another company to purchase my powder and primers from.

And I also go to the Sportsmans warehouse in San Antonio Texas and Hammerhead357 is right empty shelves of everything pretty much as well as pistols and rifles. This is what caused me to mail order my powder and primers.

Down South
01-20-2009, 07:22 AM
All I can say is do not be in a hurry with Powder Valley I put my order in on Dec,29th lol. I have been going through a few problems from Powder Valley so I may look for another company to purchase my powder and primers from.

I would just be patient with PV. I’ve done business with them for a long time and have always got first class service. I do know that PV like many other suppliers are backed up with all of the extra orders and shortages so I’m sure orders will take longer to fill. You’ll most likely have the same problems with anybody else if they even have what you need in stock.

cajun shooter
01-20-2009, 08:43 AM
I placed a BP order with Graf's on Dec 18th and received it on Jan 6th. I will say however that Mike Graf called me on 3 different occasions about that order. I posted the whole story before so I won't repeat but for a company owner to call, WOW. Hazmat fees are going up to $22.50 soon also. It's the same cycle that leaves the working man out every time.

jonk
01-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Well the local gander mountain has plenty at $25/lb for most rifle, $19/pistol.

They can keep the rifle powder at that price, I'll order in bulk online, but the pistol powder price ain't bad considering how long it takes to shoot up a pound of pistol powder.

Chunky Monkey
01-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Well the local gander mountain has plenty at $25/lb for most rifle, $19/pistol.

They can keep the rifle powder at that price, I'll order in bulk online, but the pistol powder price ain't bad considering how long it takes to shoot up a pound of pistol powder.

Thats only $200 for 8lbs. plus tax! :holysheep

silvertip47
01-21-2009, 12:55 PM
I was in Sportsman warehouse at Round Rock and they didn't have any powder that I was looking for, no j-boolits. Didn't get a chance to talk to anyone as it was closing time.
Tom