PDA

View Full Version : Ideas needed

Old colt
02-08-2022, 11:46 AM
Looking for ideas on alloy composition for a 450 bushmaster. My current alloy is on the hard side to function in an ar platform. Currently running 50 ww 50 monotype. In a 300 gr flat tip bullet I'm sure it would go end to end on a deer, running about 1800fps. Just looking for ideas to soften it up a bit but still keep functioning. Any ideas welcome this will be for a hunting load.

gwpercle
02-08-2022, 12:05 PM
The absolute best mix I've found ... not too hard , not too soft ...it's just right !
Is a 50-50 mix of Clip on Wheel Weights and soft lead ( it can be range scrap or from construction : old lead flashing , roof jacks , shower pans and wall sheathing or plumbers lead )
Cast and air cooled .
I used to cast everything of wheel weight alloy but my free unlimited supplier retired from the tire business and I needed to stretch what WW metal I had , Fellow members in the Hunting Section used a lot of 50-50 mix ... to be honest , the softer alloy is actually better than straight wheel weights .
Too much hardness isn't the best and a many casters have been sold a crock about Harder boolits being better ... they aren't . You need some ductability in your mix , you want the boolit to be tough.
The truth is that SIZE trumps Hardness any day ... make danged sure you have the right size boolit and you don't want a hard boolit .
For a hunting load the 50-50 mix will be just the ticket .
I use it for everything now .
Gary

RickinTN
02-08-2022, 01:54 PM
What GWperkel said or there is a lot to be said of straight wheel weights. I do believe your current alloy is not only harder than required but a waste of good Monotype.
Rick

RickinTN
02-08-2022, 01:54 PM
What GWperkel said or there is a lot to be said of straight wheel weights. I do believe your current alloy is not only harder than required but a waste of good Monotype.
Rick

Rcmaveric
02-08-2022, 02:00 PM
Wow thats a hard bullet. I used to use straight Clip Ons. Then i played with softer and now i use either range scraps or coww/pure, 50/50 mixed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
02-08-2022, 02:52 PM
Wow. That alloy is almost as hard as Chinese Algebra.

I'd go a little more or less, but pretty close to 50/50 wheel weights & Lead too, or blend up some Lyman #2.
Especially being powder coated, either should do a good job for ya.

Super Sneaky Steve
02-08-2022, 03:58 PM
I use pure range scrap which is very soft in my 308 winchester loads at about that same speed 1800fps. With a gas check and good soft lube you'll be fine. Powder coat is even better.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-08-2022, 04:09 PM
If ...I say "IF" you need a hard alloy for a 450BM in a AR, then I'd start with straight COWW and do some tests and add a bit of your Monotype in a progressively ladder type format, until you get the results you want.

With that said, why are you using such a hard alloy? Have you had previous failures with softer alloys, or did someone on youtube tell you it needs to be that hard?

The only thing I load for an AR is 223/556 and I use a 94-3-3 alloy, which is basically a COWW alloy with 2% tin added. Actually I use the 94-3-3 in all my rifle loads (except 45-70) and has worked well for me. For 45-70 I use 20-1.

GregLaROCHE
02-08-2022, 04:15 PM
You don’t need the monotype and could probably add some soft lead if you were wanting to save some wheel weights for the future and a softer alloy will give better expansion. For hunting sometimes a slower softer boolit works better than a hard fast one.