PDA

View Full Version : Any WW Greener owners out there?

LtFrankDrebbin
02-06-2022, 08:19 PM
So if any body does own a WW Greener do you care to show it off?
Why? Well here is mine.

Through study of the barrel stampings and our friend google it dates between 1896-1904. Proofed for 1-1/4 ounce loads. Shoots real nice with one ounce loads but starts to get a bit savage with 1-1/8 ounce where I limit it.

I wonder if the English makers would have realised their one of their guns being used regularly in Australia over 100 years later.
It just points and shoos so dang well!

HWooldridge
02-06-2022, 08:30 PM
Very nice. Are the chambers 2-1/2” or 2-3/4”?

LtFrankDrebbin
02-06-2022, 09:00 PM
Very nice. Are the chambers 2-1/2” or 2-3/4”?

2-3/4" no problems with modern loads. 8-)

ascast
02-06-2022, 09:12 PM
There were 2 locally. I could not buy either one. Both in 8 gauge. Would make a nice coach gun.

Texas by God
02-06-2022, 09:42 PM
A Greener shotgun is what Big Jake recommended!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Jedman
02-08-2022, 09:32 AM
I don’t have any Greener doubles but do own 2 of the Greener martini actioned single shot police / prison guns.
They are tucked away right now and it would take a lot of effort to find them and get a photo but they have the full length stock that runs to the end of the barrel and has a steel muzzle cap and steel butt plate.
I believe they could be used as a effective club once you fired the one shot.
They were both chambered in the 12/14 gauge special shell but I have rechambered both of them to standard 2 3/4” 12 ga. Because to me the original design didn’t make much sense ballisticaly. They had .729 bores but the shell was necked to 14 ga. so once fired the undersized payload leaves the shell and the 14 ga. forcing cone it goes into a 12 ga. bore ?
For someone that wanted one in original configuration mine would be worthless but to me a gun I can’t use or shoot is worthless. I have killed deer and a hog with .725 round ball loads with one of them.

Jedman

6pt-sika
03-10-2022, 12:32 AM
I've got a rather nice DH40 Greener with a more appropriate tang safety I bought when I was 15 over 45 years ago . A pickup truck could not carry all the dove , quail and grouse I've killed with that gun . That gun was 2 1/2" when I got it but very shortly there after the chambers moved to 2 3/4" .

I also had a Greener side safety double 10 gaue with fluid steel barrels and a dogs hind leg for a stock . I patterned that thing with my handloads and while it shot well from the bench when patterning it was no fun to shoot from the shoulder , I think it had 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 inches of drop in the heel .

I had a soft spot for all Brit doubles but especially the Greener and Scott doubles . Now I'm pretty much Parker and my maternal grandfathers old W&C Scott crystal indicator hammerless damascus barreled 10 gauge . Which as a matter of fact was the basis for me to start loading 10 gauge 2 7/8" shells and was also the first deer I ever pole axed with my own handloads or with buckshot for that matter .

tnlonghunter
03-12-2022, 09:35 AM
I'm pretty new to shotguns, and the Greeners have really grabbed my attention. I really don't know why, but they have. OP, yours looks just like what I'd like. Very nice gun! Are the barrles damascus or fluid steel? The ones I've seen on GB in the last several months were blued, and it was quite hard to tell whether they were damascus or not. Often the proof stamps were obscured or something making it hard to even tell if they were originally proofed for nitro or BP.