PDA

View Full Version : Restoring old handgun boxes

FISH4BUGS
02-06-2022, 04:12 PM
I just bought a pristine SINGLE ACTION H&R Sportsman, later called the 999. It is a 9 shot gun, and the single action is verified by the s/n. The single action gun's s/n started with S, the double action with D. This was the revolver adaptation of the H&R USRA Singe Shot target pistol.
This variation (factory singe action) is extremely rare, and I am sure the 10 H&R collectors on the planet would be very interested. :)
This is the top of the line handgun by H&R and is a surprisingly a very well made high quality target gun.
It is the first variation with the straight non-adjustable front sight and was made in 1932.
The original box is all there, no corners broken/torn, numbered to the gun, and is in need of some minor restoration, like the paper covering of the box is loose in the corners and a few other minor items.
Does anyone have any sources of info or advice on restoring old handgun boxes?
Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

JimB..
02-06-2022, 06:29 PM
I would call a museum and ask who does that kind of work. No idea what answer you’ll get. Also a university that has a degree is artifact restoration and preservation. It’s really not much different than say mixed-media art.

Bent Ramrod
02-07-2022, 12:00 PM
You might also check around local colleges, universities and crafts clubs to see if you can find a hobbyist bookbinder. Those guys know all the tricks; their repairs are indistinguishable from original work in a lot of cases.

Me, I just put angles of Scotch invisible tape on the inside corners, pinching them together so there is no open space.

oldscool
02-07-2022, 11:43 PM
Just say no to tape...

contender1
02-08-2022, 10:33 AM
"Just say no to tape!"

^^^^THIS^^^

I've done some amateur box repairs on other cardboard gun boxes myself. It's not an easy process,, takes time,, a gentle hand, proper materials, proper tools, and even if all precautions are taken,, can be quite frustrating.
Book repair folks, as well as museum places etc are all excellent ideas. maybe a college where they teach such stuff. A truly valuable box deserves the best work.