PDA

View Full Version : etching pen

porthos
02-05-2022, 04:05 PM
i have a few rifles that i had built. want to put the calibers on the bbls. looking for a chemical engraving pen to do this. i have a electric engraver; but it bounces around too much to do a nice job.

abunaitoo
02-05-2022, 04:09 PM
What about metal stamp dies????
Nicest would be laser, but machine kind of expensive.

georgerkahn
02-05-2022, 04:20 PM
i have a few rifles that i had built. want to put the calibers on the bbls. looking for a chemical engraving pen to do this. i have a electric engraver; but it bounces around too much to do a nice job.

IF -- and "if" is the word -- you can find some really good tape (I have used some made by "Mystic") and are fairly adroit with an X-Acto knife, complemented with one of those stencil-letter plastic 12" rulers -- you might be able to clearly print your calibres. Then -- it takes time :( -- very carefully cut the stencil part out, to leave only the numbers you wish to be on barrel. Having a motorcycle at the time, I used a 50:50 mix of battery acid and distilled water. Dabbed it on with a Q-tip, and... well... I got lucky as it came out great. My application was NOT a firearm -- I was making/selling apparatus -- but -- again, it worked.
I do give extreme caution both in working with any acid; and, should you try this -- try it on a junk barrel or where it will NOT in any way show -- just in case.
Assuming just a dot and a few numbers -- it may just be dooable.
Good luck!
geo

country gent
02-05-2022, 04:52 PM
Some use a paint and then cut thru it to form the letters and do the etching with a light acidic solution and electrical charge. Make sure the parts are clean for the "paint" to adhere. Make sure the "paint" can resist the light acid. Experiment on some scrap to get times and everything worked out.

At the size of the marking on a firearm etching may not be the best option.

Winger Ed.
02-05-2022, 04:59 PM
I'd sure practice on some steel pipe first before jumping onto a rifle barrel.

If your artistic talents aren't up to what you want it to look like--
I'd check out metal hammer stamps, or look around for a shop to laser engrave it.

porthos
02-05-2022, 05:33 PM
thanks guys. but i know at one time there was a acid etching pen available (i think). i have a friend that is fair at caligraphy. i think that he can do a good job. better than me.

Winger Ed.
02-05-2022, 05:44 PM
i think that he can do a good job. better than me.

Whew!

I'm about the biggest 'do it yourselfer' there is, but sometimes ya got to know your limitations.

Daveco
02-05-2022, 06:01 PM
McMaster Carr has them-
Link: https://www.mcmaster.com/etching-pens/
No experience with these pens, but in general they sell good quality stuff from my dealings with them over the years.

fastdadio
02-05-2022, 06:13 PM
McMaster Carr has them-
Link: https://www.mcmaster.com/etching-pens/
No experience with these pens, but in general they sell good quality stuff from my dealings with them over the years.

This pen looks like what Porthos is looking for. Metal etching can be done quite easily. For those with a curious mind or may like to putz with stuff of an artistic manor, take a few minuets to watch these videos. You might just end up looking for stuff around the house to etch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99PPLqZ3iUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGtDz_rGgs8

cwtebay
02-05-2022, 07:11 PM
My gunsmith charged me $8 to electro-stamp the caliber on a barrel in the font that I chose. Definitely worth more than my poor handwriting!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mk42gunner
02-05-2022, 08:11 PM
I've known guys that had it done by a jeweler with a pantograph machine. Never did that myself, I always used metal stamps with block letters.

Robert

GregLaROCHE
02-05-2022, 08:30 PM
Sounds like they are really nice guns. I would consider having a jeweler do it.

Sasquatch-1
02-06-2022, 10:20 AM
If you want to do it yourself with the etching method, see if you can find someone that has one of the craft cutting machines like a Cricut cutter. Explain your parameters and they should be able to make you a stencil.

Geezer in NH
02-06-2022, 11:10 AM
I used a Laser cutting service in my area that I found in a local paper. Advertised arrow marking, gun marking, anything that fit under the laser.

Handloader109
02-06-2022, 11:32 AM
I do laser engraving, find someone local with a fiber laser. I charge $20 to start, and that would roughly be base cost. $40 more than likely, buy it should look good when done right.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gwpercle
02-06-2022, 01:59 PM
Check with local business that makes Trophies , chances are they also do engraving .
My wife works for a Trophy shop and they also engrave things like Silver Baby Gifts , Loving Cups , Trophies , Silver Platters , Awards and Anniversary Gifts .
The only problem may be the hardness of the metal ...but someone at the shop can tell you .
Gary

Jim22
02-06-2022, 02:17 PM
I had a barrel chambered by JD Jones' company to .375 JDJ. When it came back they had engraved the caliber on the barrel in a nice script. A touch of class if I do say so. If your rifles are as nice as you say I would consider something like this. Not cheap but classsy.

Jim

elmacgyver0
02-06-2022, 02:30 PM
I have never had a lot of luck with metal stamps, but they do work nice in leather work to put a date and initials on the back of a holster.