PDA

View Full Version : Restore your plastic Dillon Powder hopper

anothernewb
02-05-2022, 02:05 PM
This will probably work on any plastic hopper I bet

So, I've got discolored powder hoppers as many of you have and I have thought about replacing them with the glass ones, however I'm cheap sometimes. So I found myself reasoning. why not mess with one first and see if I can improve things. I'm going to order new ones anyway so - nothing to lose right? So I dug around in the garage and pulled out some clear coat polish that I've used to clean yellowed headlights. Let's see how it works on the Dillon hopper.. In short. It worked way better than expected.

here's to start

These were both actually pretty bad. the one on the left originally had that orange/brown staining. In the back is a fairly new one for comparison.

so here's the stuff I used.

I used a vacuum extension and a sock with a liberal amount of the polish applied

A few minutes of polishing and then wiping things out really good with a clean towel, and this was the result!

I was pretty satisfied with the outcome. I likely added some static to the tubes, but a few minutes with some old dryer sheets should solve any issues created there.

Gofaaast
02-05-2022, 02:10 PM
I have 4-5 that need the same treatment. The fellow I bought mine from must have left the hoppers mostly full at all times.

Catmanran
02-05-2022, 02:15 PM
Nice

Baltimoreed
02-05-2022, 02:49 PM
I leave my powder [shotgun powders usually] in the hoppers all the time. Does your Clearcoat treatment leave anything behind that will react with the powder?

imashooter2
02-05-2022, 02:58 PM
Things that get used show wear. Buying new hoppers for that minor darkening isn’t something that would ever cross my mind.

anothernewb
02-05-2022, 03:02 PM
I leave my powder [shotgun powders usually] in the hoppers all the time. Does your Clearcoat treatment leave anything behind that will react with the powder?

I wiped it pretty clean, and that polish doesn't leave much if anything behind when I have used on the cars. But it could leave something I guess. If you let it really dry on, it can be a pain to get off paint until you wet it down, but it's pretty soluble. One could wash the tube out with soap and water if that was a concern. the stuff is pretty mild.

Blindshooter
02-05-2022, 03:41 PM
Thanks, I have one that's almost black.

W.R.Buchanan
02-05-2022, 07:47 PM
You might try a rag with some alcohol on it . The black stuff is Graphite from the shot. I think even hot water and soap would clean them up alot.

Randy