PDA

View Full Version : Sorting Jackets

Rfeustel
02-05-2022, 01:51 AM
Ooof. This is going to take a while….

762 shooter
02-05-2022, 08:06 AM
I have found the quickest way to sort is to put 50 in a reloading block primer up.

Using a strong light its easy to pick all of one make then all of another.

A few hundred at a time. Pace yourself.

Sasquatch-1
02-05-2022, 09:40 AM
I don't sort for .44 mag. But I do trim off lead or add squirts from the core forming die to get the final product extremely close in weight before seating the core. Either way you do it, it tends to be time consuming.

Rfeustel
02-05-2022, 02:10 PM
These are good ideas guys. Thank you!
After the Angel’s Envy things did start to look like the chef from the Muppets….

MUSTANG
02-05-2022, 03:07 PM
I use plastic Spice Containers when emptied from Costco or Sams as sorted Jacket Holders - for .224 jackets made from 22LR and for .308 cal jackets made from 5/16 Copper Tubing. These containers are square so they fit together tightly in a row left to right on my "Sorting Bench" I make simple hand printed letters/images for the head stamps of 22LR (or .17HMR, or 22Mag or..) and then tape them to the container where they are easily seen. I have the 22LR brass in front of the containers where I can pick up 2 to 5 cases between index finger and thumb and easily see the head stamp. Then just drop each case into the appropriate labeled container. See picture below.

I do the same when "Weight Sorting" .308 jackets - usually a 0.2 grain per container separation. Weigh a jacket (made from Copper Tubing) and then drop it into the correct container for its weight.

I also do the same if I decide to weight sort completed swaged bullets; placing each into a container marked with the weight/weight grouping.

Just for thought.