PDA

View Full Version : Cream of Jalapeno Soup

buckwheatpaul
02-04-2022, 02:48 PM
Cream of Jalapeno Soup
(Pinterest)

Ran across this a while ago and have modified to fit us. Not hot if you take the veins and seeds out.....

Ingredients: (Makes 4 servings)
• 1 large handful Cilantro, fresh
• 8 Jalapenos, large – seeded and de-veined(Cut tops off; slit lengthwise; de-vein with spoon)
• 1 Yellow onion, medium
• 2 15 ounce cans Chicken stock
• 4 tbsp All-purpose flour
• 1 tsp Black pepper, fresh cracked
• 1 tsp Sea salt
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 2 tbsp Olive oil
• 6 tbsp Butter, divided (4,2)
• 1 cup Heavy cream
• 2 cup Monterey jack or mild cheddar cheese

Directions:

1. Heat the oil and two tablespoon of butter in a stock pot and sauté the onion until softened, but not browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Put the onions, seeded and de-veined jalapenos, cilantro, salt, pepper, and one can of chicken stock into a high-speed blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
3. Melt the last 4 tablespoons of butter in the pot and add the flour to make paste, or roux. Stir for a minute, but do not brown. Slowly add the rest of the stock and the cream, stirring or whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth and thick.
4. Add the pureed pepper mixture to the pot, and stir to combine. Bring up to a boil, then turn down the heat and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Taste to adjust the seasonings.
6. Serve immediately in small bowls topped with fresh cilantro and cracked black pepper.

unclemikeinct
02-04-2022, 03:04 PM
A big Texas Thank You. May I ask is it harvest time for tomatoes & peppers yet down there? unclemikeinct

Winger Ed.
02-04-2022, 04:29 PM
That sounds good.

A note to folks not familiar with jalapenos:

If possible, get them from a store that caters to a larger Hispanic customer base.
The lighter green they are- they're fresher, have more flavor, and are not as hot.
The ones that are real dark green and almost black are older,, and they will make your head burst into flames.

If you are coring out several--- wear gloves, or you'll wish you had.

To make them crisp, enhance the flavor, and take away some of the burn factor-
after they're de-seeded, soak them overnight in sugar water.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-04-2022, 04:38 PM
Don't rub your eyes!

DG

square butte
02-04-2022, 04:39 PM
Don't rub your eyes!

DG
Or anything else important

Winger Ed.
02-04-2022, 04:52 PM
Or anything else important

Very true.
I was over helping a buddy's one time with another friend.
We took a break, and my buddy brought out jalapenos stuffed with cheese, and wrapped in bacon to grill.
After several of them, and a few beers, the friend who'd never had them before, got up and went to the bathroom.
And didn't come back....

About the time we were going to check on him, he came back and sat down.
He sat there sort of shifting and squirming around, and I asked if he was OK.
He finally said, "Mr. Happy doesn't like jalapenos".

buckwheatpaul
02-04-2022, 07:25 PM
A big Texas Thank You. May I ask is it harvest time for tomatoes & peppers yet down there? unclemikeinct

Not yet....all of our tomatoes and peppers are coming from Mexico but I bet you will like the recipe.....

unclemikeinct
02-04-2022, 11:28 PM
I will. Thanks again BWP . Had to ask. I lost touch w a shooting, gardening bud from Texas. I always found it funny I was harvesting in Sept. Oct. & he was setting plants. unclemikeinct

rockrat
02-05-2022, 12:07 AM
Might have to try that, but probably will have to substitute a Habanero or two in place of a few of the Jalapenos!!!

G W Wade
02-05-2022, 12:25 AM
Interesting enough I willl have to try BUT agree with rockrat about the habs GW

45workhorse
02-05-2022, 12:48 AM
Going to have to try this one!

buckwheatpaul
02-05-2022, 08:22 AM
I will. Thanks again BWP . Had to ask. I lost touch w a shooting, gardening bud from Texas. I always found it funny I was harvesting in Sept. Oct. & he was setting plants. unclemikeinct

Fall gardens are common where we live....but we have been back into a drought so we did not plant this year.

buckwheatpaul
02-05-2022, 08:25 AM
Might have to try that, but probably will have to substitute a Habanero or two in place of a few of the Jalapenos!!!

Like rockrat and G W Wade, I used to like it hot.....now a good warm is better to me than something so hot you cant drink enough beer to make it good...looking forward to your report on the substitution of the Habanero for a few of the jalapenos!

toot
02-05-2022, 08:28 AM
don't rub your eyes and youer John Thomas!

toot
02-05-2022, 08:30 AM
it came out ust great! I left the hot in! sorta like 5 alarm chili.

gwpercle
02-05-2022, 11:08 AM
Good Recipe !

I'm going to replace some of the jalapeno with roasted Red Bell Peppers just to give it a different twist ... and I have a big bag of roasted red peppers in the freezer that need a recipe !

Thanks for posting it BuckWheat , I like a good soup on a cold day & today is Cold :drinks:
Gary