PDA

View Full Version : O-Haus 10-10 scale

Rickf1985
02-03-2022, 11:07 AM
I just bought an O-Haus 10-10 scale on the net and when it got here I realized it was graduated in grams and not grains. My fault, I looked back at the add and sure enough you could see it in the pics. So I can't really send it back saying it is wrong. What I would like to know is this, Are all of the 10-10's in grams or do they come in grains also? If so does anyone know where I could get the beam for grains?
Grams just is not going to work for fine measurements on pistol loads.

fc60
02-03-2022, 01:34 PM
Greetings,

I have both Ohaus 10-10 scales in Grains and Grams.

The mechanics are the same, just the units vary.

Hopefully, you got the brass weight that goes on the end of the beam to weigh heavier objects.

If you are not handy with converting grams to grains, you most likely will want to seek a new scale.

Cheers,

Dave

salpal48
02-03-2022, 02:10 PM
simple Math Conversion
1 Grain=.064 Gram

Rickf1985
02-03-2022, 03:34 PM
I understand the conversions but when a 55 grain bullet only comes up three notches on the beam how do you figure I will measure 5.5 grains of powder? Or 3.5 in one of my cases? Trying to get .224 on the scale is really pushing it. I need a scale with more range in a lighter load capacity. I do have the brass weight but even without it you are looking at 770 grains. I have nothing at all even close to that!

And fc60, the mechanics are the same but the weight on the beam is different. I am sure your grains scale has a much lighter weight on the beam than the grams scale. The cup will also be weighted different but I can change that by changing the ballast. I just need a grains beam. Guess I will contact the seller about a return and explain it was my mistake. He can say yes or no. I will understand if he says no and I will try to sell it elsewhere.

Land Owner
02-04-2022, 08:24 AM
I reread your last post above and agree that the sliding weight on the arm is most likely different. Got a picture of the GRAM scale beam? For comparison, what do each of your GRAM scale sliding weight and its counter balance (including hanger) weigh?

Rickf1985
02-04-2022, 11:50 AM
It will be tough getting a weight reading on the beam poise since it is pretty well put together on there. I don't want to ding it all up taking it apart just to find out what it weighs. The counterbalance will be easy since that is nothing more than the tray and powder pan. Actually the rotary wheel for the tenths is probably different from the grains scale also. So I would think the entire beam assembly is a unit and to go from a gram scale to a grain scale you would have to change the entire beam. I have decided I am just going to get a different scale and sell this one. If I can even find anyone that wants a scale graduated in gram. You will see it in the S&S section soon.

country gent
02-04-2022, 01:36 PM
There is a way to use the scales as grains with out converting to. Depending on the scales resolution this will work accurately and be fairly easy.

Buy a set of check weights and use them like gauge blocks. IE you want 3.5 grn charge use the weights that equal 3.5 grns. IE a 3 and .5, a 1 2 and .5, 1.5 and 2, lace these in the pan and set beam to zero with them.

Rickf1985
02-07-2022, 11:23 AM
Well, I just picked up another 10-10 off of E-bay at a pretty good price and I made damn sure this one was in Grains! It is real clean and has all the attachments so now I have two complete scales, one in grains and one in grams. I have not decided whether I am going to keep or sell the one in grams yet. Most likely will unless someone tells me a good reason to keep it.

Wayne Smith
02-08-2022, 08:55 AM
Do you cook? If I had a 10-10 in grams it would be in the kitchen. I'm finding more and more recipes are using weight measures.

Chief Ten Beers
02-10-2022, 11:25 PM
I use the RCBS 10-10 scale.

1hole
02-17-2022, 12:50 PM
I use the RCBS 10-10 scale.

Welll ... that's good to know! ;)

Dragonheart
02-20-2022, 05:09 AM
I have a 10-10 I purchased about 50 years ago and its a good scale, but super accurate, fast reading digital scales are and have been so cheap (like under $20) my 10-10 hasn't been out of the box in years.

georgerkahn
02-20-2022, 08:24 AM
I just bought an O-Haus 10-10 scale on the net and when it got here I realized it was graduated in grams and not grains. My fault, I looked back at the add and sure enough you could see it in the pics. So I can't really send it back saying it is wrong. What I would like to know is this, Are all of the 10-10's in grams or do they come in grains also? If so does anyone know where I could get the beam for grains?
Grams just is not going to work for fine measurements on pistol loads.

I surely do not wish to disagree with you re, "Grams just is not going to work for fine measurements on pistol loads" , but some years back I got a deal on what I thought was a "Dial-a-Grain" scale which (reason for great price?) turned out to be a "Dial-a-Gram" scale. I felt similarly as you profess until I recognized a scale is just that -- gravity pull governs its reading, and whatever the scale may be printed -- where the pointer ends up -- will be the same. I was hoping to measure a 30.5 grain drop, and it took less than a minute to find that this amount equates to 1.98 grams. I took a small piece of smooth tape, drew a fine black line on it, and stuck it right at the 1.98 spot on the scale.
I used this technique for more than twenty years of reloading of 24 (at the time) different calibres; several different loadings in a few of these as well -- with nary a difficulty!
Yes -- it may be one more step -- but I have proven it works! Fyi, nowadays it is quicker and easier than when I did it with a printed table out of an old math text-book as there are instant calculators for you on the Internet! An example is at https://converterin.com/weight-mass/grams-g-to-grains-gr.html#:~:text=To%20convert%20between%20Gram%20an d%20Grain%20you%20have,Grain%2C%20use%20the%20char t%20below%20to%20guide%20you.
Best wishes!

Rickf1985
02-20-2022, 09:54 AM
Well George I now have one of each so I will be able to convert real easy, weigh it in grains and then transfer it to the grams scale and see what it says. My main concern was not so much setting up a locked in amount as it was trying to weigh a charge that came out of a casing to check it against a automeasure. That sort of thing. Where you are moving the scale poises to find the actual weight.

Green Frog
03-01-2022, 02:45 PM
It would be a little time consuming, but you could make (or maybe even go online and find) a conversion chart going from grams to grains and vice versa. Make a print and store it on your computer as well and have at it. We still might have a snowy or stormy winter evening with nothing else to do. ;)
Froggie