PDA

View Full Version : HELP CVA 54 Express Rifle

Bowhunter73
02-02-2022, 07:50 PM
Hey everyone I came across a CVA 54 Express Rifle I'm thinking about buying can anyone with experience in one of them let me know what you think about it pros and cons on one of these rifles.
Thanks
Terry

Bowhunter73
02-03-2022, 10:40 PM
I've looked at it I believe it's the second model it has a different setup at the end of the barrel. Thanks for any information you may have.

Sixgun Symphony
02-07-2022, 01:57 AM
Check the game laws in your state on muzzle loading firearms, some states don't allow double barrel firearms for ML season.

Bowhunter73
02-07-2022, 07:15 PM
Thanks appreciate your help

omgb
02-07-2022, 07:32 PM
I have a Pedersoli model in 50x50. Actually, mine is a Texas Trail Guns Armory but I digress. It shoots. It's too heavy for me and honestly, this is a 50-70 yard gun. I have two sets of flip up sights, one for the right and one for the left. I spent countless hours on the range finding the loads that would print together. I kind of did, but not exactly. Many find that heavy charges are in order and, maybe different charges for each barrel. I am too old to carry this much iron anywhere anymore. Mine will get sold to the first guy who offers me a good price. Only though, because its heavy, not because its inaccurate or unfun.

Bowhunter73
02-08-2022, 10:51 AM
omgb; Thanks for your input hopefully someone you has or had a second verison will chime in...Terry

omgb
02-08-2022, 01:47 PM
What price would make you consider buying mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GL49
02-12-2022, 04:59 PM
I've got a couple of double barrel Pedersoli Kodiak rifles, one 50 cal and one 54 cal. It doesn't take much longer to load two barrels than it does to load one. To echo what omgb said, they are heavy. At 72, they aren't the ones I choose to pack around if I'm going to be walking, I'd be packing a Lyman Great Plains or a Hawken clone. Hiking in to a stand where you'll sit for a couple/three hours letting someone else do the work, then move to another spot and sit for awhile? The doubles are fine rifles. The only thing I miss on my doubles are the set triggers I have on my single barrel muzzleloaders. But, if I'm going to pack them to a spot where I can sit down, I can choose a place where I'll be able to use a rest for the rifles instead of standing up on my hind legs or shooting with elbows propped on my knees. That makes the triggers a little easier for me.
I don't know about the CVA sights, one rear sight or two? Finding a load that'll shoot to the same point with only one rear sight? Someone else will need to speak up about that.
Double rifles are OK to use for hunting in a general season here in Oregon. If it's a dedicated muzzleloader only hunt, the regulations specify a single barrel only. I'd bet the double rifles will shoot farther than 50-75 yards, but my old eyes limit the ranges I shoot. When I get them out, yep, they are 50-75 yard rifles. Don't forget to choose the correct rear sight when you choose which trigger to pull.

My suggestion would be to get the rifle, if you're still young and strong, pack it around with you. If you're older and wiser, use it for packing in somewhere where you can sit and watch. You can never own too many rifles.

Bowhunter73
02-13-2022, 11:35 AM
GL thanks for the insight I did buy the CVA it's a 54cal and when I get home I plan on contacting omgb about buying his Pedersoli because it's a 50cal if he still has it.

GL49
02-18-2022, 12:51 AM
The Pedersoli is a fine rifle, if you can work out a price with omgb, you won't regret it. I've got no complaints at all about the two I own. The triggers on one of mine are a little stiffer than I'd like, one of these days I'll look into whether they can be tuned up a little bit. I find the doubles, when shooting over a rest in the field, a lot easier to shoot than a single barrel. And after shooting one barrel, you don't have to stop and load before shooting again. When I first got my double rifles, that REALLY made me smile. Like I said, the only thing I miss is the set trigger. When you've got the CVA in your hand, post a few pictures.