PDA

View Full Version : Same sizer different lubes?

Gunslinger
01-19-2009, 06:19 AM
I will soon start casting for 2 more calibers. The ones I cast for now is used for speed shooting (9mm and .38) where speed and timing is of the essence rather than dead-on accuracy. I use homemade lube for these.

The new ones will be for target shooting and hunting, and have therefore decided to buy lube from LBT. As I shoot a lot of the speed shooting cast, I would like to avoid using LBT lube for those, not because it's expensive but mainly because I have a lot of the homemade lube, and the LBT stuff has to be shipped over the pond.

If you use the stick lube. Is it possible to remove the rest of the stick, and exchange it with another? Or is this to messy and elaborate? I see some people have more than one sizer.... is this why?

NuJudge
01-19-2009, 08:22 AM
I have several sizers so I can use different lubes. Used machines are relatively cheap, so I have some that I leave with one size die.

I suppose you could use a hairdryer to melt the lube out of a sizer/lubricator, put a different lube in, run for awhile, melt the second lube out, then put the original lube back in later, but that's an awful lot of work. Each time you change, you will also have a transition period with a little bit of the prior lube.

Can you size/lubricate large batches, until the reservoir gets empty, then do a large batch of another type of bullet with a different lube?

Gunslinger
01-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Can you size/lubricate large batches, until the reservoir gets empty, then do a large batch of another type of bullet with a different lube?

I quess I could. That would just mean I'd have to empty the sizer everytime I put in new lube. Wouldn't be easy if I all of the suden whished to size something other than what the current lube was meant for....

DLCTEX
01-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I haven't found a good, fast way to change lubes, which is why I have multiple sizers. Boiling the sizer in a pot of water, seems to be the most effective way to clean out all the lube, but I prefer to use the heat gun, leaving the sizer bolted down and catch the lube in a container under the unit. Usually I just run it dry, put in the new lube, and let the lubes mix until the old is washed out. Low velocity pistol boolits don't seem to care what they are lubed with, so I'll run those while the lube is clearing.