PDA

View Full Version : GC Mold Won't Accept Check

alamogunr
02-02-2022, 11:53 AM
I've got a MP .327 Single 7 Mjoinir(?) mold from a GB quite awhile back. I've ignored it up to now due to other projects. Finally cast up a few along with a similar, but not the same, Accurate mold. The MP molded boolits won't seat a gas check. The Accurate boolits fit fine.

I think if I was able to expand the check slightly, I could get them to seat. Anyone have any recommendation how to best do this? None of the various tools I've got around the shop are of a size to expand a .30 caliber check.

Wheelguns 1961
02-02-2022, 12:08 PM
Noe makes a tool to expand the checks. They also make a tool for seating gas checks. I have an mp sledgehammer mold that takes gas checks. The checks are very tight, but I use the Noe seating tool to seat them. It works fine without the added step of expanding the checks.

alamogunr
02-02-2022, 12:32 PM
I'll check NOE. Without some kind of tool, I can't get them to seat evenly. My next move before I get a tool is to try to use the sizer with the top punch that came with the mold to keep every thing lined up. Never tried that before but nothing to lose.

Wheelguns 1961
02-02-2022, 12:48 PM
The Noe seating tool works very well. I messed with this for a very long time. You can still put one on crooked, but if you give it a go, I am sure you will be happy. Good luck!

alamogunr
02-02-2022, 12:58 PM
Wheelguns 1961: Is the NOE check seater a universal tool? In other words does it work for all sizes? The .30 caliber expander is "out of stock" on the NOE website so I thought I would at least order the seater tool.

MT Gianni
02-02-2022, 01:36 PM
You can but a cheap metal imported punch and cut it to the diameter you want. You can anneal checks too. I had a mold that wouldn't take checks and Redding/Saeco told me to return it with checks from three different lots I had used. They recut the same mold and it works well. I learned a lot when they asked for three lots and a copy of the end boxes with the lot number on them. Not all checks are uniform.

Minerat
02-02-2022, 01:46 PM
Wheelguns 1961: Is the NOE check seater a universal tool? In other words does it work for all sizes? The .30 caliber expander is "out of stock" on the NOE website so I thought I would at least order the seater tool.

You need one for each caliber boolit. You might try calling Swede sometimes they have not updated the web site but have them in stock.

^^This info was in relation to the check expander.^^

The body part of the seater uses a top punch but the base is the same as a Lee sizer rod, any of those bigger diameter the the boolit will work.

Wheelguns 1961
02-02-2022, 01:57 PM
Yes, the only thing more that you will need is your top punch. You screw the die into your press, and insert your top punch. Then, you use the appropriate push rod and it is ready.

Greg S
02-02-2022, 04:13 PM
Have the same problem on 2 MP 32 cal molds also. Threw a check expander in my next order from NOE and problem solved. I'd like to try Gator checks but I have 3 boxes of Hornady checks to burn up first.

Calamity Jake
02-02-2022, 05:22 PM
I made a GC expander by super gluing a 3/8" diameter ball bearing in the mouth of an unused lee expander die, installed in a SS press with a flat piece of
1/8" thick by 1" square steel laying on top of the ram, had scribe lines across corners to mark center. lay a GC on plate raise ram install modified die with the lee
"O" ring type lock ring until touching GC, screw the lock ring down until "O" ring touches, fine adjust for amount of GC flair from there, make sure the GC is centered
under the bearing otherwise you will have flair on one side and not all around.
That 3/8" bearing is just the right size to expand 30 down to 6.5 cal GC's

alamogunr
02-02-2022, 07:27 PM
Tried the solution I proposed in Post #3. Didn't work very well. Will call NOE tomorrow and get something coming my way. I like the looks of the boolit that the mold kicks out too much to put it back on the shelf.

If I keep having trouble I may have to get off dead center and start powder coat w/o check. Not sure how well that would work. Have been thinking about PC anyway to get size up to .315 to match throats on the Single 7.

Wheelguns 1961
02-02-2022, 08:19 PM
What kind of gas checks are you using? I have been using gators. They are tight, but I can still get them on with the seating die. I am powdercoating before installing the checks. This probably makes it more difficult, but it is working. I make it a habit with gas check molds to cast a few to measure, before ordering the checks, but I don’t think it matters with 30 cal.

alamogunr
02-02-2022, 08:26 PM
Have the same problem on 2 MP 32 cal molds also. Threw a check expander in my next order from NOE and problem solved. I'd like to try Gator checks but I have 3 boxes of Hornady checks to burn up first.

I wonder if the gas check is my problem. I've been going by the fact that my cylinder throats are .315 which is a couple of thousandths over normal for the .327 Federal. I just assumed that it was close to .30 cal checks. The only thing I see close to .32 Cal is 8mm checks. I don't think that 8mm checks would work. I don't have any anyway.

BTW, all my checks are Gator checks.

Wheelguns 1961
02-02-2022, 09:14 PM
You need 30 cal checks. I think the problem has something to do with the fact that the 30 cal checks are designed for .311” bullets. That is just a guess. It is possible that Miha just has the measurement off a little, but they will work with the seating die.

parson48
02-06-2022, 11:23 AM
For years, I've used a carriage bolt to slightly flare gas checks. Just a slight tap with a hammer usually suffices.

megasupermagnum
02-08-2022, 08:09 PM
I found a slick solution for sizing the shanks of 30 caliber bullets. I made it specifically for a NOE mold, but it will work on any .284" shank bullet, which is what you have. It's nothing but a Lee collet crimp die for a 243 WSSM, but it is likely you could use any 243/6mm collet crimp die. I don't remember why I chose that one specifically, probably because it was shortest. All you do is cut the top of the die off with a grinder to make it easier to see. You now have an adjustable shank sizer. It works slick as snot. Set the bullet on there, pull the handle, done. I was never impressed with the NOE gas check expander, which is slow and painful. That's even a 143gr HP bullet for a 327 federal in the picture. They do take 30 caliber checks, and are supposed to be a .284"-.285" shank. I size to .314", and find the .017" 30 cal Sage's checks work best.

https://i.ibb.co/9WcfH2C/gc-crimp.jpg (https://ibb.co/9WcfH2C) https://i.ibb.co/59HJ7Rn/gc-setup.jpg (https://ibb.co/59HJ7Rn)

Old Caster
02-18-2022, 11:26 PM
I only use 30 caliber gas checks and have Hornady and Gator. For my Lyman 311407 bullet, the Gator is hard to put on and the Hornady is easier. I don't feel that either check is better than the other but in my case, the Hornady works better but not by a lot.

imashooter2
02-19-2022, 01:56 AM
Have any large ball bearings? Something half inch or larger set in the check and given a tap should do the deed.

Old Caster
02-20-2022, 11:14 PM
It is quite likely that you could take a 5/16 bolt and cut the threads off and then spin it on a drill with a file and not much would be needed to take off before you would get it right. Look closely at what you think is necessary as far as angles and so forth might matter. When you get close, change over to a piece of flat wood with very fine sandpaper (maybe 400 grit) in front of it and if you mess up and make it too small, cut what you just did off and do it again. I assumed that you don't have access to a lathe which would make it easier. You might only need an angle and that might work.

alamogunr
02-20-2022, 11:27 PM
It is quite likely that you could take a 5/16 bolt and cut the threads off and then spin it on a drill with a file and not much would be needed to take off before you would get it right. Look closely at what you think is necessary as far as angles and so forth might matter. When you get close, change over to a piece of flat wood with very fine sandpaper (maybe 400 grit) in front of it and if you mess up and make it too small, cut what you just did off and do it again. I assumed that you don't have access to a lathe which would make it easier. You might only need an angle and that might work.

I'll try this. At least it won't cost anything. I've got lots of 5/16 bolts. You're right, I don't have a lathe. I wanted one at one time. Then I got too old to want to learn how to operate even if I found a suitable lathe.

RickinTN
02-21-2022, 11:12 AM
It's not the bullet diameter, it's the gas check shank diameter. Myself and several others have a 44 Magnum/444 mold that the gas check shank is .015" too large. Our e-mails have been ignored.
Rick

Iowa Fox
02-25-2022, 02:22 AM
This guy absolutely doesn't understand cutting a gas check shank on his molds for gas checks sold in the United States. I've got the same mold as Rick above and there is no way you are going to shoe horn a gas check on the bullets. He is not making good on his error. Its a brass paper weight.

cainttype
02-27-2022, 11:18 AM
A slightly over-sized punch ground with a bevel at the tip to open the check’s mouth works best for me, much faster and easier than the NOE expander (same principle).
Lay the checks out on a hardened surface (steel plate) and breeze through them like Whack-a-Mole… A little tap is usually all it takes.

John Boy
02-27-2022, 01:00 PM
All my GC’s are Hornaday …. Snap, click … Done
25 up to 45 calibers

alamogunr
02-27-2022, 09:39 PM
A slightly over-sized punch ground with a bevel at the tip to open the check’s mouth works best for me, much faster and easier than the NOE expander (same principle).
Lay the checks out on a hardened surface (steel plate) and breeze through them like Whack-a-Mole… A little tap is usually all it takes.

I guess it is off to Harbor Freight tomorrow. I have several punches but I don't want to start modifying a quality punch. I'll be sure and take one of the checks with me so I don't waste a trip.

rintinglen
03-04-2022, 12:11 PM

^^^^This is what I did for a stubborn Lyman 311-291. A cheapo K-mart nail set was ground down and voila! A piece of 1/4 inch iron strap, a 12 oz ball peen hammer, and in about three seconds a gas check, you have opened them up to fit your fat-butted boolit.

Shiloh
03-13-2022, 01:35 PM
One of the LEE specialty milds is like that. 8mm drops at about 250gr.
Shank is too small. Call NOE and order the GC expander.

You need the die and proper expander. Gonna have to fiddle with it to get it right, but it works.
https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/gas-checks-tools/gas-check-expander/

Shiloh

I've got a MP .327 Single 7 Mjoinir(?) mold from a GB quite awhile back. I've ignored it up to now due to other projects. Finally cast up a few along with a similar, but not the same, Accurate mold. The MP molded boolits won't seat a gas check. The Accurate boolits fit fine.

I think if I was able to expand the check slightly, I could get them to seat. Anyone have any recommendation how to best do this? None of the various tools I've got around the shop are of a size to expand a .30 caliber check.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-17-2022, 09:17 AM
I have a plastic dead blow mallet that i judiciously use to tap the nose on stubborn checks. I also anneal my checks on the glass top stove, when they change color i push them off the burner with a spatula. I also cut the sprue a bit faster so i get a nice smooth and flat base.

gwpercle
03-17-2022, 09:27 AM
Another trick is to use your outside deburring tool to cut a bevel on the gas check shank base , the beveled shank along with a slightly expanded gas check and they pop right on ...also seating the check while sizing the boolit in a Lyman 450 / 4500 makes it as easy as Pi (pie).
Gary

Green Frog
03-17-2022, 12:06 PM
After seeing this thread seriously discussed for two pages I just could resist asking, “If it ‘…won’t accept check…’ have you tried cash or a major credit card?” Sorry, but I just couldn’t resist. :groner:

Froggie

Cosmic_Charlie
03-17-2022, 02:27 PM
I have a .44 Miha mold that the checks fit on well ( nice and tight ). Using Hornadys. I also have .30 cal Lee and Accurate molds that accept checks without problems. I can see how it would be frustrating to not have them fit though.

gwpercle
03-17-2022, 07:45 PM
After seeing this thread seriously discussed for two pages I just could resist asking, “If it ‘…won’t accept check…’ have you tried cash or a major credit card?” Sorry, but I just couldn’t resist. :groner:

Froggie

I thought today was St. Patrick's Day ... apparently it's ... Bad Joke Thursday [smilie=w: WooHoo !!!

That is pretty funny
Gary

Green Frog
03-17-2022, 08:26 PM
“De debil made me do it!”

alamogunr
03-24-2022, 09:44 PM
I got a chance to go to the shop and fiddle with the 3/8th bolt that I modified after it was suggested by a post here. I then chucked it up in the drill press and expanded about 50 or so. They slipped right on so were a little big but worked fine after sizing.

It occurred to me that I should have miked the GC shank. I didn't think of that until I had left the shop. My alloy is just COWW with a little tin. I've never been to concerned about trying to adjust size by varying the alloy. This would be a good opportunity to do a little experimenting using this mold.

Don't think I need to go to Harbor Freight.

megasupermagnum
03-26-2022, 01:37 PM
Why mess around any farther? Just make that tool I posted and don't worry about fiddling to make a mold do what it isn't meant to.

gwpercle
03-26-2022, 06:21 PM
I got a chance to go to the shop and fiddle with the 3/8th bolt that I modified after it was suggested by a post here. I then chucked it up in the drill press and expanded about 50 or so. They slipped right on so were a little big but worked fine after sizing.

It occurred to me that I should have miked the GC shank. I didn't think of that until I had left the shop. My alloy is just COWW with a little tin. I've never been to concerned about trying to adjust size by varying the alloy. This would be a good opportunity to do a little experimenting using this mold.

Don't think I need to go to Harbor Freight.

I honestly think the tool fix will be much easier to achieve than coming up with a special alloy ...
I can use a tool a lot better than hitting that pefect blend of metal that allows a check to snap on .
Gary

Shuz
04-02-2022, 12:14 PM
Occasionally I will get a cast boolit that has a very small skirt on the base of the gas check shank that makes it very hard if not impossible to fit a gas check..I have resorted to filing them down the best I can with a small hand file. Does anyone know of a tool similar to a case outside deburring tool that could be used for this?
Both my case deburring tools have a pin in the center that prevents it from being used for this purpose.

Bazoo
04-02-2022, 12:52 PM
I have some 30 caliber checks that were too tight on my shanks. So, I ground a 5/16 punch with a taper, polished it mirror bright, and use that to expand. I only have a box, they are the old ideal checks. The punch is a mac brand I scored in a bucket of wheel weights! When I’m done with that box I’ll grind it off square again.

Bazoo
04-02-2022, 12:58 PM
Occasionally I will get a cast boolit that has a very small skirt on the base of the gas check shank that makes it very hard if not impossible to fit a gas check..I have resorted to filing them down the best I can with a small hand file. Does anyone know of a tool similar to a case outside deburring tool that could be used for this?
Both my case deburring tools have a pin in the center that prevents it from being used for this purpose.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/tools/bullet-base-chamfer-tool-power-tool/

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/tools/bullet-base-chamfer-tool-manual/

There is another brand I recall but I can’t find it.

Shuz
04-02-2022, 01:34 PM
Thanks Bazoo!